PDA

View Full Version : DM Help When to alter the XP (D&D 3.5)

NapazTrix
2016-02-11, 01:06 PM
5 Players:
Lv 12 - Dragon Shaman
Lv 11 - Duskblade and Barbarian
Lv 10 - Warblade
Lv 9 - Rogue

Encounter: 29 CR 4's.

XP to gain:
Lv 12 = 0
Lv 11's = 1595
Lv 10 = 2175
Lv 9 = 2610

Ok, so the party has an option for diplomacy or slaughtering a small army of Lizardfolk, with possibly more along the line. It is highly possible they will fight 29 enemies all at once, though they can try and split them off.

My question on the ruling, more of a personal opinion type question, should I stick to the normal rules of XP in the Spoiler above or make the xp based on 1 CR 14 which gives all the members XP (Even more then usual). Or something else due to the amount of enemies they will be fighting.

Red Fel
2016-02-11, 01:20 PM
My question on the ruling, more of a personal opinion type question, should I stick to the normal rules of XP in the Spoiler above or make the xp based on 1 CR 14 which gives all the members XP (Even more then usual). Or something else due to the amount of enemies they will be fighting.

If it's one encounter, it's a CR 14 encounter (29 CR 4 creatures = 1 CR 14 encounter). The appropriate xp reward is for a CR 14 encounter. This is true irrespective of whether they fight or not - xp isn't rewarded for fighting, but for overcoming the encounter. If, on the other hand, you break it up over multiple encounters, you could award xp for each separately. For example, if the PCs met the lizardfolk in groups of 5, xp would be dramatically lower, and you'd simply award that per encounter. But one mass encounter is one single CR.

As a side note, according to this calculator (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/), the level 12 character doesn't get xp, regardless. The 11s get 1595 each, the 10 gets 2175, and the 9 gets 2610 - so not dramatically more than you had expected, only a few hundred more each.

Telonius
2016-02-11, 01:29 PM
I'd suggest having a look at the Mob template from DMG2. Whether there's 29 of them or 129 of them, they're not going to pose a credible threat to any of the characters individually.

nedz
2016-02-11, 01:37 PM
Yeah - I don't think the CR system handles mobs terribly well - but that is the RAW.

Also, some more RAW

Organization: Gang (2-3), band (6-10 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or tribe (30-60 plus 2 lieutenants of 3rd-6th level and 1 leader of 4th-10th level)
So this is a tribe and should have some higher level types - though your basic Lizardman is CR 1.

As you have the encounter statted up at the moment I'm not sure I'd bother running it. It's not going to be anything like a challenge - without special circumstances.

NapazTrix
2016-02-11, 01:43 PM
If it's one encounter, it's a CR 14 encounter (29 CR 4 creatures = 1 CR 14 encounter). The appropriate xp reward is for a CR 14 encounter. This is true irrespective of whether they fight or not - xp isn't rewarded for fighting, but for overcoming the encounter. If, on the other hand, you break it up over multiple encounters, you could award xp for each separately. For example, if the PCs met the lizardfolk in groups of 5, xp would be dramatically lower, and you'd simply award that per encounter. But one mass encounter is one single CR.

I was going off what is in the DM's guide "2. For each monster defeated, determine that single monster’s Challenge Rating. 3. Use Table 2–6: Experience Point Awards (Single Monster) to crossreference one character’s level with the Challenge Rating for each defeated monster to find the base XP award."

Giving xp per monster rather than per encounter. Since it says CR for enemies not XP based on Encounter Level.

As a side note, according to this calculator (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/), the level 12 character doesn't get xp, regardless. The 11s get 1595 each, the 10 gets 2175, and the 9 gets 2610 - so not dramatically more than you had expected, only a few hundred more each.

That was the actual XP, I calculated 24 enemies beforehand and wrote the wrong xp. Fixed now.

Edit:

Whether there's 29 of them or 129 of them, they're not going to pose a credible threat to any of the characters individually.

There are some weak links in the party, not all are "Up to snuff" I would say that this amount of enemies, even if they are CR 4's, will be able to do some damage to the party, to the point they are wary about even fighting the army to begin with.

EditEdit: Most players have AC below 20, with the Dragon Shaman having the most at 26. Each Lizardfolk has a +8 to their melee, so a good amount of hits will get through.
EEE: Forgot that the Duskblade gets to 32, since he magicks his armour on.