PDA

View Full Version : Multiple gibbering mouthers

hacksnake
2016-02-11, 02:24 PM
I posted to RAW thread; not sure I agree with the answer and I think due to rules in that thread I'm supposed to take it into a new thread rather than seek clarification / debate there. Hopefully that's correct.

Q293 When facing multiple Gibbering Mouthers the PCs need to pass multiple Gibbering checks every turn they take, correct?
Ex: 5 Gibbering Mouthers = start of turn PC must pass 5x DC10 Wisdom saving throws?

A293 No. With the DMG errata multiple instances of a game mechanic with the same name do not stack.

Combining Game Effects (p. 252). This is a new subsection at the end of the “Combat” section: “Different game features can affect a target at the same time. But when two or more game features have the same name, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap. For example, if a target is ignited by a fire elemental’s Fire Form trait, the ongoing fire damage doesn’t increase if the burning target is subjected to that trait again. Game features include spells, class features, feats, racial traits, monster abilities, and magic items. See the related rule in the ‘Combining Magical Effects’ section of chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.”

I think Combining Game Effects would mean that you can't fail two saves and be under the effects of two Gibberings at once. Somehow you'd have to determine which was 'more potent'.

I don't see how this actually prevents two attempts to gibber in the same turn. If you fail the first save then you aren't under the effects of that ability so there is no ongoing duration to overlap.

I also read it that two fire elementals could enter and leave your space in 1 round dealing 2d10 damage from Fire Form initial damage. Although at the start of your turn you take only 1d10 ongoing fire damage from being ignited (i.e. - you are only ignited once although you take multiple blasts of the initial fire damage). It says right in there that the target can be subjected to the trait multiple times just that the effects don't stack "ongoing fire damage doesn’t increase".

Back to the Gibbering Mouthers I think you would be subjected to multiple gibbering traits, need to roll save for each, and only if you failed two saves does this rule come into play to say "Well, no, even though you failed twice you're only under the effect once". Earlier I hadn't even considered the possibility of failing two saves and how it'd work. I think I assumed failures wouldn't stack.

So what am I missing? Is this answer correct?

Edit: a word; better wording for my point w/r/t the fire elemental example.

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-11, 02:35 PM
You know what? I think that you're correct now that it's spelled out like that!

Sorry I didn't grok that until you've failed a save you're not under any effect.

hacksnake
2016-02-11, 02:43 PM
You know what? I think that you're correct now that it's spelled out like that!

Sorry I didn't grok that until you've failed a save you're not under any effect.

Less of a debate than I thought; figured I must have been missing something.

I think this makes facing a horde of gibbering mouthers kind of terrifying. 4x mouthers is a 'hard' encounter for 4x 5th level PCs.

Unless I screwed up the math each PC will be Gibbered roughly 47% to 94% of rounds (high Wis + Prof less impacted; Fighter with 0 Wis mod almost never gets a turn while they are all up). Even at 3 mouthers fighter only gets to act freely 12.5% of turns on average. That's really rough.

kaoskonfety
2016-02-11, 02:49 PM
Less of a debate than I thought; figured I must have been missing something.

I think this makes facing a horde of gibbering mouthers kind of terrifying. 4x mouthers is a 'hard' encounter for 4x 5th level PCs.

Unless I screwed up the math each PC will be Gibbered roughly 47% to 94% of rounds (high Wis + Prof less impacted; Fighter with 0 Wis mod almost never gets a turn while they are all up). Even at 3 mouthers fighter only gets to act freely 12.5% of turns on average. That's really rough.

They are supposed to be kinda terrifying? While at a glance I agree with your take on it, I'd be more inclined to just assign a single save at disadvantage to players facing more than one rather than "large numbers of dice rolls" for like 10. Ease of play trumping my desire to HOSE the players.

hacksnake
2016-02-11, 02:59 PM
They are supposed to be kinda terrifying? While at a glance I agree with your take on it, I'd be more inclined to just assign a single save at disadvantage to players facing more than one rather than "large numbers of dice rolls" for like 10. Ease of play trumping my desire to HOSE the players.

I might run with that idea (disadvantage).

I was trying to plan out an encounter & ran into this question. Calculated out the percentages and thought: "Wow, if they get even just a little unlucky this could be a TPK in the making :(... hard encounters aren't supposed to TPK."

I suppose they would probably pull through eventually since INT 3 mouthers are probably too dumb to focus fire the thing that's not failing saves. It would probably just drain a ton of resources. Maybe I'm underestimating how well they would do & it's still only be a normal 'hard' encounter.

E’Tallitnics
2016-02-11, 03:09 PM
It's a bit harsh in that the Gibbering effect has no rider that once they've saved vs it, it can no longer affect them.

On the plus side it's move is 10 feet, they have an AC of 9, the Gibbering effect is limited to hearing and 20' range and a DC of 10 to not be affected. So they can be easily kited.

We actually fought one last night at Encounters and it was terrifyingly fun because the DM described the Aberrant Ground feature as "poo" that it was excreting.

If you're looking to have your group face 5 I'd have 1 of them approach first, then have the other 4 trail in 1 at a time at the begging of each round/half round, possibly from all sides. That way you can "break in" the party to the capabilities of these creatures before the whole horror of what's about to (may?) happen unfolds.

kaoskonfety
2016-02-11, 03:11 PM
They are a weird monster - more like an enviromental hazard than creature. The slow move and very limited ranges means the party just needs to keep its distance and wear it down. The low AC and attack bonus means its high HP don't matter much. But if the encounter starts within 10' with their RAFT of status attacks you are about 2-4 bad die rolls from one downed PC - which transforms into a perma-dead PC VERY fast (the bite damage is pretty nasty for their CR).

Their entry should have
*Use With Caution*
plastered on it