PDA

View Full Version : Beat class for brand new out of the abyss campaign

thebiglost1
2016-02-11, 08:41 PM
DM told us our main group will be coming to an end next month and we will be starting the underdark campaign afterwards. He didn't give any spoilers, only telling us we will be limited to dark elf/dwarf/gnome as races. He eluded to the fact that we will be on the run the entire campaign, in an attempt to escape the underdark.

Any thoughts on what you think would be a fun class to play that doesn't need a lot of long/short rests to remain 'fun'? Not normally a min maxer so the slate is open. I'm thinking about a drow warlock as even if we literally never stop to rest I would always have EB.

Preciate your time.

Edit: out of the abyss*

Talamare
2016-02-11, 09:04 PM
Rogue is probably the ONLY class that doesn't NEED any rests

Fighters and Rangers probably come in 2nd
Warlocks and Monks need short rest
Basically everyone else needs long rest to stay at max potency

thebiglost1
2016-02-11, 09:30 PM
Rogue is probably the ONLY class that doesn't NEED any rests

Fighters and Rangers probably come in 2nd
Warlocks and Monks need short rest
Basically everyone else needs long rest to stay at max potency

Yeah. I'm normally the only PC that doesn't flock to the martial classes right off.

A short rest or 2 will probably be the extent of the in game recharges, with long rests taking place between game nights. (Purely speculation, but probably close to being accurate. )

Don't care for rogues because in my limited experience playing them, I tend to piss the DM off lol. We are all RL friends and Co workers that have been playing with his core group since 5e play test. Maybe a sverfebln <sp> shadow monk? That sounds fun.

busterswd
2016-02-11, 09:47 PM
Without spoiling too much, you're going to have some time to rest, so being the Energizer Bunny isn't a huge priority.

Druid has a spell that makes one potentially challenging part of the adventure a non-issue. Pass Without Trace is also kind of amazing and will find lots of use. Moon Druids are also not super stat-dependent.

Bards are almost always useful, unless you're really hurting for damage.

The module is also Demon heavy, so Paladins get a chance to shine even more so than usual.

djreynolds
2016-02-12, 02:07 AM
Ritual casting will be huge, get a wizard multiclass, or the feat. Cantrips, the ones no one take, like mending should be very useful.

Hairfish
2016-02-12, 02:19 AM
Expertise and/or advantage on Athletics is quite useful for the first bit, so you can toss enemies around.

djreynolds
2016-02-12, 03:30 AM
Expertise and/or advantage on Athletics is quite useful for the first bit, so you can toss enemies around.

And climb walls, and swim and jump... all good for escaping

mgshamster
2016-02-12, 07:47 AM
My group consists of a Human Cleric of Light, a Half-elf Lore Bard, an Elf Moon Druid, and. Human Wizard/Rogue (homebrew archetype: investigator).

They're doing rather well in that campaign. Really, any race and class will do; heck, you don't even need darkvision to do well.

If your GM thinks that you're always going to be on the run the entire time and it will be consistent, tell them to read more of the book before starting. This is a wide open adventure with lots of player agency and many different things can happen.

First campaign I've run in a long time where the campaign has major changes based on player decision.

Probably a much more important aspect to this campaign: make a character that *wants* to explore the underdark as well as *wants* to escape it. Make a character who is willing to help even underdark races and isn't a flat out racist. My strongest player (the player who exerts his opinion on the rest of the group more often than anyone else) is playing a character who loathes the underdark and wants nothing to do with anyone until he gets out; and he's not having as much fun as the rest of the group who wants to take a day or two to explore as they find their way out.

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-12, 07:57 AM
He eluded to the fact that we will be on the run the entire campaign, in an attempt to escape the underdark.
The DM either alluded to that, or he was being evasive.
This message was brought to you by Inigo Montoya.

thebiglost1
2016-02-12, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. It's going to be fun no matter what.

The DM either alluded to that, or he was being evasive.
This message was brought to you by Inigo Montoya.

Eluded...escaped.

Forest for the trees bud, forest for the trees.

spartan_ah
2016-02-12, 10:42 AM
Haven't played it yet but Paladins are always good against demons with their paladin sense and extra damage on smites.
And drows make a decent Paladin

gfishfunk
2016-02-12, 11:16 AM
Monk sounds just fine. Fighter should be okay.

Not sure why anyone would have problem with a rogue, unless they do not like the rogue-ish stereotypes of stealing, betrayal, and hiding when anything happens. But that is all personality.

If the others are all playing melee mutts, try a Bard and let them hack things to pieces while you mock others, inspire them, and languidly strum a lute.

thebiglost1
2016-02-12, 05:27 PM
Monk sounds just fine. Fighter should be okay.

Not sure why anyone would have problem with a rogue, unless they do not like the rogue-ish stereotypes of stealing, betrayal, and hiding when anything happens. But that is all personality.

If the others are all playing melee mutts, try a Bard and let them hack things to pieces while you mock others, inspire them, and languidly strum a lute.

I play a rogue like a rogue, I hide, run, steal, lie, cheat, and genuinely cause havoc everywhere I go. I like to sneak out during 'long rests' and assassinate and reconnoiter. I like to pick pocket things constantly. I always have fun with it, and I never EVER mess with the other PCs beyond the occasional running away. My DM doesn't really like me playing that style beverage he feels it takes away from the other players because I 'try to do too much'. I'm not butthurt about it, I don't mind not playing a rogue and I can honestly have fun with any class.

bid
2016-02-12, 07:34 PM
Eluded...escaped.
So the DM escaped and was not caught by the fact.:smallbiggrin:

Sigreid
2016-02-12, 09:01 PM
Without spoiling anything, it's to the party's advantage if at least some of the party can function with few/no resources.

thebiglost1
2016-02-12, 09:44 PM
So the DM escaped and was not caught by the fact.:smallbiggrin:

Maybe. We both may or may not have been indulging.