PDA

View Full Version : Ghostly Greatsword

Fightmaster
2016-02-12, 12:09 AM
I was mulling over the concept of giving an npc a greatsword with a blade made of the arms of grasping spirits, but I have no idea what it should do (other than a mixture of slashing and necrotic damage). What are your suggestions?

CodeRed
2016-02-12, 12:46 AM
I'd look at the Ray of Frost or Chill Touch cantrip effects. The ghostly hands either freeze you to the bone (-20 move for one round) or you feel their icy grip on your very soul (no healing for a round). Either of those effects or both I think would be pretty flavorful.

Tallis
2016-02-12, 12:51 AM
It should be able to hit ethereal targets and possibly a fear effect.

Kane0
2016-02-12, 01:20 AM
The greatsword itself does 1d6 slashing and 1d6 necrotic damage and is a +0 magical weapon. When struck a victim cannot receive healing that round as per chill touch, and once per day when the user strikes a target they may subject them to the effects of a Ray of Enfeeblement spell.

Foxhound438
2016-02-12, 05:32 PM
on hit, expend 1 charge for an extra d6 of necrotic
2 charge to force target to make a dc X wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you for an amount of time
3 charge to force dc X con save or the creature's max hp is reduced by the amount of damage dealt; the sword deals necrotic for that hit
7 charge to force dc X con save or the creature takes the sword's damage again on each of its turns up to a minute, repeating the save each time. The creature is paralyzed during that time. if the creature succeeds the save, the effect ends.

has 7 charges, regain a d6+1 at midnight

if the last charge is spent, the wielder makes a dc X Cha save, and is possessed by the sword for an amount of time (what it does would be dm's discretion)

some amount of static plus to attack and damage, no more than 3.

There you go. Lots of flavor, fun for the wielder, has a neat risk-reward aspect thrown in.

Slipperychicken
2016-02-13, 12:34 AM
Does damage as a greatsword (2d6 slashing), but also 1 or 2d6 necrotic on top of that. Also the blade can hurt ethereal creatures normally.