PDA

View Full Version : Solving Baleful Polymorph

SithLackey
2007-06-16, 06:53 PM
I have a character in an IRL game who was recently polymorphrd into a dog, failing the will save and everything. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make him playable again? Being changed back to his original form is not important, I just want him role-playable. The DM is probably willing to bend the rules a little, but not much, and certainly nothing outside of Core. Basically, I need a way to raise his intelligence to non-animal levels.

Solo
2007-06-16, 06:54 PM
Have a sidequest to go find a druid/wizard/cleric who can reverse the effects.

de-trick
2007-06-16, 07:07 PM
just keep the dog make it a familiar to a wizard then intelligence will go up

OzymandiasVolt
2007-06-16, 07:10 PM
Hunt down a wizard who is at least 18th level, and pool your resources to pay him for a Wish? Or maybe take a trip to find a creature that grants one Wish. Or something. Basically reality alteration or plot device.

Neon Knight
2007-06-16, 07:14 PM
If only there was some way to combine a dog with an Illithid...

Lassie fetch brains! Lassie fetch BRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNSSS!!!!

Ahem.

I believe a druid of 9nth level could cast Awaken.

Jack Mann
2007-06-16, 07:19 PM
If only there was a spell that could remove harmful magical effects like this. Something that would cause such magic to be removed, to be dispelled. A "Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm)" spell, if you will. Wherever could you find such a thing?

Seriously, if you're fighting people can cast baleful polymorph, you should have access to dispel magic. If nothing else, you can hire someone else to cast it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-16, 07:19 PM
The duration of baleful polymorph is Permanent. Therefore, dispel magic or greater dispel magic will do the trick.

Neon Knight
2007-06-16, 07:36 PM
Being changed back to his original form is not important, I just want him role-playable.

It seems for one reason or another, he wants to be a dog for a while. Thus Awaken as suggested should do the trick.

Failed my will save. I think Lassie's trying to tell us something...what is it, girl? Little Timmy's stuck in the well?

Jack Mann
2007-06-16, 07:37 PM
He said it wasn't important, but he didn't say it was undesirable either.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-17, 04:37 AM
Houserule that he gets a new will save every day, and if he makes one he gets his intelligence back. Easy.

Skyserpent
2007-06-17, 04:55 AM
Houserule that he gets a new will save every day, and if he makes one he gets his intelligence back. Easy.

That's kind of a cheap houserule... I think so anyway...

but I agree with the "Awaken" option. Level 9 Druid doesn't cost THAT much to hire for a day.

Dark Tira
2007-06-17, 05:57 AM
...and yet another reason why a wand of resurgence is invaluable. Speaking of which, resurgence can either turn him back to normal or if he constantly intentionally fails his fort save can give him back his mind and keep him a dog.

Resurgence: the 1st level spell which solves 9th Level spell problems.

SithLackey
2007-06-17, 08:08 PM
First I want to thank everyone for their help. The character in question has a strong revenge motive, I wouldn't care if it had happened to my other character, or to him if at least it had been on the final quest to get rid of his antagonist.

Awakening would work very well, actually, I didn't even know there was such a spell. Unfortunately, no one in the party would know either, nor do we have a druid or someone who knows druids.

Dispel Magic would also work (eventually, we are a 7th level party vs a 12th level sorceress), the reason we didn't think of it was because only the Cleric can cast it, and her player is realatively new to D&D in general. Also, our player group is more used to using it to get rid of buffs and anti-buffs than anything with the scary word "Permanent" in the duration. Besides, the players are at a point where we expect a little more than just, "Poof, you're better now. That'll be 660 GP, please." WHich is why I'm leaning towards...

#3: Become the familiar of a strange but friendly arcanist who just happens to quickly join the party. We (the players) were asked to make some cuts in the adventurer department to make room for two new players and a switch from a 2 PC per player to 1 PC per player game. I didn't really want to keep either character anyway (just wanted to have him get his vengeance), so if a Hexblade were to serendipitously appear, in need of a familiar and everything, how convenient would that be?

Thanks again.

Sutremaine
2007-06-18, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately, no one in the party would know either, nor do we have a druid or someone who knows druids.
Are you near any towns? If so, offer a reward to anyone who can help the polymorphed character.