PDA

View Full Version : Factotum questions

Laharal
2016-02-12, 02:47 AM
Hello playgrounders!

I'm having a few questions about the factotum class (3.5)

1) Regarding cunning strike

Cunning Strike (Ex): With a quick study of a vulnerable opponent’s defenses, you can spot the precise area you need to hit to score a telling blow. Starting at 4th level, you can spend 1 inspiration point to gain 1d6 points of sneak attack damage. You must spend the inspiration point to activate this ability before making the attack roll. When determining if you can use sneak attack against a target that has uncanny dodge, use your factotum level as your rogue level.

In order to gain sneak attack damage, do I just need to spend that inspiration point or do I also need to have my target flanked or flat-flotted like for a rogue?

2) Cunning surge
It is usable more than once a round right?

3) Opinion regarding wands
In later levels (10+) should I leave wands (capped at 4th lvl spells) behind and use my UMD on other magic devices or are there useful wands up to lvl 20? Suggestions?

P.S. (Edited) Any suggestion for one or two good damage spells via arcane dilettante or wands? I know it won't be my main job, but I'd like to have one or two guns ready ;)
Edit: Level 12 character. Spell level 4. Spell level 7 at lvl 20.

Many thanks!

Part 2 Damage spells

I'm level 12 factotum (the game was already going,) and I have access to Lvl 4 spells. That will cap at level 7 in the endgame.

I have found some great lists to help. I'll add it the List of utility wands .

So, anyone has ideas for damage spells, please pitch-in! (I won't focus my build around that but I want to be able to dice/fry/stir/obliterate ennemies when needed)? If I get 1-3 damage spells per level, I shall be the real swiss knife the factotum is. Thanks! (I'll add them to the list as they come)

1) Hail of Stone
2) Ice darts, scorching ray, combust
3) Manyjaws
4)
5)
6)
7)

LTwerewolf
2016-02-12, 02:51 AM
1) Still need to qualify for the sneak attack, else it would tell you that you just gain a d6 in damage.

2) Depends on DM ruling. It's vague enough where some say yes others no with no clear answer. It's considered cheesy to give yourself a lot of standards.

3) Wands are not the only thing UMD is used for, but there are a lot of utility wands (and eternal wands) that are very useful. Even moreso if you have a caster to make them at higher than standard caster level.

Darrin
2016-02-12, 10:12 AM
Wands are always useful, even at higher levels. List of Utility Wands (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15150359&postcount=16).

For damage spells... you didn't specify your level. Hail of stone (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 1) is pretty reliable up to CL5, particularly against anything with evasion or SR. Ice darts (Frostburn, Sor/Wiz 2) if you need something more MIRVish, although scorching ray might dish out more DPS. For 3rd level spells, I hear manyjaws (Spell Compendium) is good.

Laharal
2016-02-14, 12:55 PM
For damage spells... you didn't specify your level. Hail of stone (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 1) is pretty reliable up to CL5, particularly against anything with evasion or SR. Ice darts (Frostburn, Sor/Wiz 2) if you need something more MIRVish, although scorching ray might dish out more DPS. For 3rd level spells, I hear manyjaws (Spell Compendium) is good.

Thanks!

To be more precise:
I'm level 12 factotum (the game was already going,) and I have access to Lvl 4 spells. That will cap at level 7 in the endgame.

I have found some great lists to help. I'll add it the List of utility wands .

So, anyone has ideas for damage spells, please pitch-in! (I won't focus my build around that but I want to be able to dice/fry/stir/obliterate ennemies when needed)? If I get 1-3 damage spells per level, I shall be the real swiss knife the factotum is. Thanks! (I'll add them to the list as they come)

1) Hail of Stone
2) Ice darts, scorching ray, combust
3) Manyjaws
4)
5)
6)
7)

Arlin
2016-02-14, 01:37 PM
If you don't mind being in touch range (which I'm guessing not, given the sneak attack possibilities), then Combust is a pretty solid (originally from Magic of Faerun if I remember correctly, but it's in Spell Compendium).

1d8/CL damage, only save prevents catching fire, rather than reducing damage.

Lhurgyof
2016-02-15, 02:34 AM
The orb of x spells seem like a good idea.