PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Wu Tang Style Character Build ideas

profitofspizz
2016-02-12, 05:36 AM
I came up with a 3.5 character concept and am trying to find a way to actually build it. I am fairly new to dnd and am getting overloaded on different ways to approach my character idea. I did find some possible solutions, but wouldn't mind hearing input on the build.

I am trying to create a Wu Tang Clan themed character, Ol Dirty Bethy, who touts about her Shaolin style and fights with her Wu Tang sword, all while dropping sick rhymes to demoralize her enemies. Ideally, the ODB would be the one in the party who summons a swarm of bees, dances in and out of combat unleashing her martial prowess, all while yelling, "WU-TANG KILLA BEEZ, WE ON A SWARM!"

I guess a Monk/Bard of some sorts. However, I hear bad things about vanilla Monk.

Anyways, any classes/feats anyone suggest I should check out. Right now, I'm checking out swordsage as an option.

Vaz
2016-02-12, 06:31 AM
There is a character calle Derek Baelfire Bragg from one of the Iron Chefs, one of OMG Ponies' masterpieces I believe. Might be worth looking into that. Refluff as Rapping and kungfu?

Feint's End
2016-02-12, 07:36 AM
How do you feel about using wisdom to hit twice and to dmg? Since you are using a one handed sword it might be appropriate (not finessable and strength leaves your ac pretty low).

You could do something like this
Take 1 or 2 levels of monk including monastic training (psychic warrior)
rest of the levels fill with psychic warrior with tashalatora except for a dip into shiba protector (you can get iron will from a location and alertness from the psicrystal so really all you need is one feat to get in)

This will net you almost full unarmed strike progression, manifesting as an 18th level psywar, wis to ac, twice to hit and to damage.
You might get away with adding jade phoenix mage (psionic) on top for some initiating as well. You don't really mind the low hp because of the vigor/share pain combo and it will get you to 16+ bab. You can also take monastic training a second time to also stack the levels of jpm for tashalatora.

Edit: simpler but less effective is swordsage into that one monk prestige class. Or simply play an unarmed one.

Also ask your dm if you can count the longsword as a monk weapon. Pathfinder did this correctly and added some sword options and it only makes sense since the longsword has been a stock weapon in historic shaolin monks fighting.

Andezzar
2016-02-12, 08:13 AM
Sounds like a Bardsader or Bardblade.

Norin
2016-02-12, 09:07 AM
Splash into warlock for the swarm invocation?

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-12, 11:15 AM
Splash into warlock for the swarm invocation?

I see what you did there.

White raven maneavers from tob seem to work. Bardsader makes sense. See if you're allowed to swap setting sun for one of their other disciplines to give more of that wu tang feel

Feint's End
2016-02-12, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a Bardsader or Bardblade.

Problem I see is where do you get your defenses from? Because if you stay close to the concept you'd not wear armor.

Bohandas
2016-02-12, 04:49 PM
I think bard and monk have contradictory alignment requirements under RAW, unless you use the chaos monk from Dragon Magazine issue 335

profitofspizz
2016-03-04, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone for their ideas. I might even be open to a Pathfinder build for this concept.

profitofspizz
2016-03-04, 06:22 PM
Problem I see is where do you get your defenses from? Because if you stay close to the concept you'd not wear armor.

You would be right in that assumption. Armor for this build would seem out of place.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/32/91/b2/3291b2c7a2f9e8473ba4caef352f965c.jpg

profitofspizz
2016-03-04, 06:23 PM
I think bard and monk have contradictory alignment requirements under RAW, unless you use the chaos monk from Dragon Magazine issue 335

I'm not too worried about alignment restrictions to be honest. They are kind of silly.