PDA

View Full Version : Jade Regent Druid?

ArendK
2016-02-12, 06:42 AM
So I could use a little help here;

Currently deployed, so a lot of us here have time to play and unwind. So a buddy of mine revealed that he's an avid gamer (much to my surprise) and was going to get a group going here at camp. Turns out, another group was here from one of his buddies and we rolled in with them. Long story short, that group fell apart due to DM narcissism and players who find their greatest enjoyment of the game wrecking the world (exact quote, disturbingly enough).

My buddy, as we were rolling up new characters for the campaign after one of the annoying cheese gamers wrecked the previous one, announced he was running he own group for a smaller group of players (we ranged from 5-12 players any given day). I jumped in, eager to be away from the previous DM and see how my buddy ran. No guidance given on the group composition and campaign, I played it safe and whipped together a Mwangi Druid (saurian shaman) since my computer was being difficult and I rely on hero lab.

Turns out, he decided he was going to run Jade Regent, which I'd been wanting to play in but figured I'd never see a GM that wanted to do it in person. By the point in time we were starting, we had a monk and ranger as well and a fighter on standby. I resigned myself to the druid status and figured I'd just roll with it for now and "reimagine" the character later to something that fits since knowing the broad outline, the druid REALLY wouldn't fit Jade Regent. So we started off and I figured I'd actually play out the druid as imagined initially. Everyone loved the character, and the GM got a constant laugh out of his analysis of situations and role-playing of the character. So when I mentioned "re-imagining" everybody started protesting. Given our party composition now after a few sessions (2 fighters, rogue, monk, ranger, and Scribbleface the goblin alchemist as a weird follower at this point that mostly serves as artillery and another healer), I decided to just keep the druid.

Now I'm looking for build; I know Natural Spell and wild speech; any other must haves I need to acquire to have the most effective druid I can? I'm 14's in all three physical stats and a 16 in Wisdom. My GM has allowed me to hold off on my 3rd level feat to get both natural spell and wild speech together, which was generous. All paizo is open unless it's obviously broken.

critfumbles
2016-02-13, 02:00 PM
Given that your party seems to have enough melee martial characters, playing a Natural Spell wild shape druid might not be ideal.

You gain totemic summons at 5th level from the saurian shaman archetype, with which you can summon dinosaurs and reptiles as a standard action. They come into play with 5 temporary hp, and you can adjust them as need be with templates (advanced, giant, and young).

Consider picking up Spell Focus (conjuration), Augment Summoning. Spell Focus has the added effect of shoring up your saving throw DCs, since you have a 16 Wis. Use those summons to assist your allies; a clutch dinosaur with a trip or trample attack might scatter enemies, and your rogue would always appreciate another flanking partner.