PDA

View Full Version : How does spell storing work in 5e?

Douche
2016-02-12, 08:25 AM
Our DM gave one of the party members (not me) a rapier that can store one spell... However, in order for the spell to be stored, that spell slot is out of commission until the stored spell is expended.

In short, lets say the druid has 6 spell slots. He stores an entangle within the rapier. Now he has only 5 spell slots until the paladin/rogue with the rapier uses that entangle, even if we have a long rest before then.

Is that how spell storing is supposed to work? I just thought of the fact that the rapier allows you to cast that stored spell after successfully hitting with an attack (so the paladin could DOUBLE SMITE?!?) so it does add to the action economy, but I just want to make sure I and the DM are educated in how spell storing works.

hymer
2016-02-12, 08:27 AM
Is that how spell storing is supposed to work?

It's not how the Ring of Spell Storing works, but then that's a different item. There's nothing wrong with making an item that's less powerful than other options in the DMG. If you don't like it, just don't store any spells in the thing.

Edit: The Ring of Spell Storing is in the SRD (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/SRD-OGL_V1.1.pdf). So you can look it up yourself.

Lavok Rammstein
2016-02-12, 08:28 AM
Take a look at the Ring of Spell Storing in the DMG. That should give you an idea of what mechanics you should expect.

Flashy
2016-02-12, 08:32 AM
It's not how the Ring of Spell Storing works, but then that's a different item. There's nothing wrong with making an item that's less powerful than other options in the DMG. If you don't like it, just don't store any spells in the thing.

This. It's not how the official items work, but since this isn't an official item it works the way your DM says it works.

Douche
2016-02-12, 08:45 AM
This. It's not how the official items work, but since this isn't an official item it works the way your DM says it works.

Not knowing how the ring worked at the time, I asked if that was how the ring worked to the DM and players at the table, and no one really knew. I will just let them know that the ring lets you get your spell slot back, so that if the rapier was supposed to emulate that then it would too... Otherwise, I don't really care much either way. It aint my rapier

Thanks, y'all

CantigThimble
2016-02-12, 08:56 AM
My DM didn't want us making magic items because of the imbalance it could add to the campaign but he eventually let us create scrolls and potions that work like this. We spend some money and time and the spell slot doesn't recover until the item is used (or the creator decides to have it stop working one day). The advantage being that anyone can use the spell in the meantime and you don't need to be the one concentrating on it. Very handy to have someone other than the cleric who can cast revivify even if it does cost a spell slot in the meantime.

KorvinStarmast
2016-02-12, 09:07 AM
My DM didn't want us making magic items because of the imbalance it could add to the campaign but he eventually let us create scrolls and potions that work like this. We spend some money and time and the spell slot doesn't recover until the item is used (or the creator decides to have it stop working one day). The advantage being that anyone can use the spell in the meantime and you don't need to be the one concentrating on it. Very handy to have someone other than the cleric who can cast revivify even if it does cost a spell slot in the meantime. Are you having arcane casters read and use divine spells from scrolls?

A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell’s components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible. I am pretty sure that the spell scroll instructions in the DMG say the same.

CantigThimble
2016-02-12, 09:58 AM
Are you having arcane casters read and use divine spells from scrolls?
I am pretty sure that the spell scroll instructions in the DMG say the same.

That is another part that was houseruled a bit. Basically bards can use any healing or raising spells on scrolls but wizards and clerics still can't use eachother's spells.

hymer
2016-02-12, 10:07 AM
Are you having arcane casters read and use divine spells from scrolls?
I am pretty sure that the spell scroll instructions in the DMG say the same.

On page 200, they are. But just because that would be clear, and be a rule not a ruling I guess, there is of course a chance to muddle it on page 139:

"Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it."

To be fair, it can be said that specific trumps general. Of course, general is rarer than specific in that reading, making it rather... well 5e. :smallwink: