PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a swashbuckling nar do well.

chainer1216
2016-02-12, 08:54 AM
I'm going to be running a pirate-y game and one of my PCs wants to be a cutlass wielding swashbuckling duelist type, but the swashbuckler class kinda...sucks after lvl3. Any build suggestions? (All books are allowed)

Party consists of a wizard aiming for sea witch, a PF gunslinger, and a steriotypical conan-style barbarian.

Darrin
2016-02-12, 10:35 AM
I'm going to be running a pirate-y game and one of my PCs wants to be a cutlass wielding swashbuckling duelist type, but the swashbuckler class kinda...sucks after lvl3. Any build suggestions? (All books are allowed)

The obvious: Daring Outlaw. Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 16 is considered typical, although you can throw a Cloistered Cleric dip in there for Travel Devotion.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-12, 10:55 AM
There's also the Pathfinder Swashbuckler, which is better. In 3.5, ToB stuff generally works. Warblades are fairly swashbuckling, and Swordsages even moreso-- let them switch their secondary mental stat to Charisma and they're just about perfect. A Swift Hunter (Scout/Ranger) build would also work pretty well, emphasizing the mobility side of things.

Ruethgar
2016-02-12, 11:07 AM
The Parry feat line adds to the swashbuckling feel if you can get them through retraining your armor proficiencies away(otherwise too much of a feat tax). There also might be a Dragon #310 fighter that fits well for a few level dip.

Warrnan
2016-02-12, 11:53 AM
Generally Rogue3/swashbuckler2 is a good start with the darling outlaw feat.

After that you need either a level or two of cleric or barbarian for full attacks + movement. Depending on which flavor you prefer. This lose a few skills and one sneak attack die but allow for all the mobility that a swashbuckling hero wants for style and combat effectiveness. Picking up only one level in cleric or barbarian is preferable but if your Dm uses the multiclass xp rules, you'll need 2 to make it RAW legal.

Clerics do this with the travel devotion feat that grants a swift action to move your speed for 10 rounds. Barbarians simply get pounce which allows for a full attack at the end of a charge. If using barbarian (my choice usually because it is less mad.), grab the rage variant that adds to dex. Choose the spirit lion totem from complete champion to gain pounce.

This is critical for most melee builds and especially for someone who attacks as quickly as a two weapon fighting swashbuckler.

You might say I only want to swash buckle with a rapier in a single hand! This fighting style is not supported in 3.5 d&d. It basically cuts your damage in half if you do this, and you get nothing in return. Remember the musketeers often fought with a rapier and main gauche (dagger).

TLDR: rogue1/swashbuckler1/ barbarian or cleric 2/ rog2/ swb13/
nightsong enforcer1

This gets you 19 base attack, 10 sneak attack and covers the trapsmith role for rogue when taking the able learner feat.

ComaVision
2016-02-12, 01:44 PM
I would suggest letting him play a ToB class and trading out one of the discipline schools for Scarlet Throne (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/scarlet-throne-maneuvers) from Path of War, which is made explicitly for fighting one handed.

glitterbaby
2016-02-12, 01:57 PM
One of my favorite things about ToB is that it lets your noninitiatior classes count as half towards your initiator level, which determines the level of maneuvers you can learn. If you start with Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3 with Daring Outlaw you can slap on two levels of Swordsage to pick up Assassin's Stance (+2d6 sneak attack) and easier access to Shadow Blade (dex to damage). It does cost you one BAB but if you can have up to three more levels of average BAB and have it count as full so that Cleric dip that was suggested is even more appealing.