PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever tried a sculpt spells wiz or a careful metamagic sorc

dev6500
2016-02-12, 10:26 AM
I was looking at the evocation wizard with sculpt spells and the sorcerer with careful metamagic and was wondering if anyone had tried to use either class to make a build where the caster uses concentration AoE spells as a sort of battlefield control. I was having trouble with wizard since they are limited to just evocation spells but sorcerer has it a little easier since careful metamagic works with any AoE spell and not just evocations.

For Sorcerer, it really takes off around 5th level with a careful stinking cloud that you stand inside. You and your allies can autosave while everyone who wants to get into melee with you has to save every round they want to be hitting you.

Has anyone tried a build like this using either wizard or sorcerer to make a character who often stands inside concentration based or other cool AoE spells? How did it work out?

Sir cryosin
2016-02-12, 10:42 AM
I was looking at the evocation wizard with sculpt spells and the sorcerer with careful metamagic and was wondering if anyone had tried to use either class to make a build where the caster uses concentration AoE spells as a sort of battlefield control. I was having trouble with wizard since they are limited to just evocation spells but sorcerer has it a little easier since careful metamagic works with any AoE spell and not just evocations.

For Sorcerer, it really takes off around 5th level with a careful stinking cloud that you stand inside. You and your allies can autosave while everyone who wants to get into melee with you has to save every round they want to be hitting you.

Has anyone tried a build like this using either wizard or sorcerer to make a character who often stands inside concentration based or other cool AoE spells? How did it work out?

Thank you you just gave me a new tricks to add to my character thank you

RulesJD
2016-02-12, 11:18 AM

Sculpt spell and careful spell are VERY VERY VERY different because of one HUGE mechanical different.

Careful Spell = your party automatically saves. Most AoE spells this means they still take 1/2 damage.

Sculpt Spell = your party automatically saves AND takes zero damage. Drop them bombs like it's going out of style, your party wont care.

I have a high level Evocation Wizard and love it. Throwing up Wall of Fire circles that my party can walk through is hilarious, as is Storm Sphere. Flaming Sphere should be one as well but it's not an evocation spell for some reason.

Really though, being have to ground zero fireballs directly on my party is worth its weight in gold until you get the bigger damage/utility spells.

Segev
2016-02-12, 12:15 PM
Is there any circumstance under which using both together would be useful? I cannot think of one, but it's worth examining.

Addaran
2016-02-12, 12:16 PM
Sculpt spell is for damage spell while carefull is mostly for control. We have a sorcerer who uses it a lot. It's awesome with web starting at lvl 3.

Block a nice area with difficult terrain that might capture them but doesn't affect much your melee types. If your squishy teamates need to escape for some reason, they can pass through (or hide in it) while the enemy have to go around.

edit: Carefull does work with ice knifes if the enemy just downed your ally. And i guess it does work with the few aoe cantrips. They are all save or nothing.

dev6500
2016-02-12, 08:36 PM
Sculpt spell and careful spell are VERY VERY VERY different because of one HUGE mechanical different.

Careful Spell = your party automatically saves. Most AoE spells this means they still take 1/2 damage.

Sculpt Spell = your party automatically saves AND takes zero damage. Drop them bombs like it's going out of style, your party wont care.

I have a high level Evocation Wizard and love it. Throwing up Wall of Fire circles that my party can walk through is hilarious, as is Storm Sphere. Flaming Sphere should be one as well but it's not an evocation spell for some reason.

Really though, being have to ground zero fireballs directly on my party is worth its weight in gold until you get the bigger damage/utility spells.

Yeah, careful spell doesn't automatically remove the possibility of damage but you can still build your character around that by picking up evasion or shield master somehow.

But careful spell isn't just limited to evocations so there is a wider array of tricks you can pull off with it. I just haven't tried either in a campaign yet so I am unsure how well it works out.

Sigreid
2016-02-12, 08:48 PM
I would posit that wiz 2 sorc x could be valuable as you would be able to drop your high damage spells on top of the party and protect them from the control spells. Basically your job would be to handle the riffraff while the rest of the party focused on the main event. Nothing in the evok power seems to exclude applying it to your sorcerer spells.

Nicodiemus
2016-02-13, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I once misty stepped into the center of a group of kobolds and death blossomed a fireball centered on myself after our party's tank went down. Followed up by thunderwave when the survivors all aggro'd on me. 24 kobolds dead- zero damage to my wizard. A sculpting evoker is tres nasty.

georgie_leech
2016-02-13, 02:11 AM
Quibble, that specific trick won't work wihout further investment as once you've cast a Bonus Action spell like Misty Step you're restricted to Cantrips for any spells cast with a Sandard Action on that turn. Otherwise, yes, sculpt spell leads to some big moments.

RaynorReynolds
2016-02-13, 05:32 PM
Quibble, that specific trick won't work wihout further investment as once you've cast a Bonus Action spell like Misty Step you're restricted to Cantrips for any spells cast with a Sandard Action on that turn. Otherwise, yes, sculpt spell leads to some big moments.

Beat me to it.

Drackolus
2016-02-13, 07:53 PM
Eh, just aim carefully or let the paladin or barbarian eat it. Tell 'em that they are being blown up for the greater good. They'll make that save. Maybe.
I mean, are you gonna give up empower or quicken? That's just silly.

MaxWilson
2016-02-13, 08:48 PM
Careful Web works even better than Stinking Cloud: imposes Restrained, limits movement, lasts for a whole hour. Comes online at third level and it's awesome.

Practically no melee monster can harm a Repelling Blast Sorlock when he's sitting inside of a Careful Web.

SharkForce
2016-02-13, 09:02 PM
Eh, just aim carefully or let the paladin or barbarian eat it. Tell 'em that they are being blown up for the greater good. They'll make that save. Maybe.
I mean, are you gonna give up empower or quicken? That's just silly.

i'd give up empower for careful in a heartbeat. especially for a CC-oriented sorcerer. quicken is a bit of a tougher sell, but i have seriously considered not taking that as well.

MaxWilson
2016-02-13, 10:44 PM
i'd give up empower for careful in a heartbeat. especially for a CC-oriented sorcerer. quicken is a bit of a tougher sell, but i have seriously considered not taking that as well.

There are cases where I would take Careful and Extended over Quicken and Twin. For example, if you're building the Best Healer in the Game (Lore Bard 11/Sorcerer 3/Life Cleric 1/Warlock 5) I'd take Extended for the healing benefits to Aura of Vitality and Careful for party support. Quicken would be nice but with only three sorcery points you're unlikely to get much mileage out of it, so Careful it is.