PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new obsession

Swordsmith
2016-02-12, 01:30 PM
So I'm looking for a new game. Part of the advice I got when asking how folks find a new game was to ask places like this. So let me tap your brains.

I have in the past enjoyed games like NWN and EQ. I find myself having time on my hands available to play again, but have not been able to get back in to enjoying either. Part of the reason for that is that I seriously delved very deep into them in the past, and I've played every sort of character I can think of, I understand the mechanics, and I'm just no longer thrilled. Part of it is that of course, I'm not in the same place I was; I really can't do a serious MMO, because I'm going to be solo. I need to be able to log off or pause with no notice, might be gone a minute, might be gone all day. I'm just not able to be enough of a jerk to group or raid on that kind of basis.

NWN was great because it was essentially solo (there's a whole online multiplayer aspect, but I never got into that), and because it had a huge number of combinations, what with stats that actually had an effect on gameplay, a variety of classes which could be combined via multiclassing, and with player added content, literally hundreds of prestige classes. And the gameplay, again with player added content, offered thousands of hours of story driven play, some of it superb (most not, but some...)

I enjoyed Skyrim the first time through, but at the time there was very little in player mods available, and now, looking at it, I still can't figure out what's out there and how to get it working. Maybe that's my answer, to pursue Skyrim and work harder at it. NWN had the NWN vault, where all the content was sitting together, along with explanations as to how to install it and get it working. That's gone now (and probably one of the reasons going back to NWN didn't work out so well for me)

I had a good time with Anarchy Online, I loved the way you could ladder up, because items had requirements, but the requirements weren't based on your level, rather on your stats and skills, and there were "spells" and gear which could raise those stats and skills, so on and so forth. I didn't like the higher levels of the game, though, and again played through nearly all the combinations of the low end game to the point where trying to go back just generated a sigh of nostalgia.

LOTRO I also really enjoyed, I loved the way the game looked and played in its lower ranges, and how very different the different classes played, so that starting a new character was in many ways like starting a new game. But again I didn't like the higher end game, and the low end becomes monotonous, as there are basically three starting areas and not that many choices on ways to go as you level up. I saw there was a new race and class, and tried it out.. but found that they didn't add new low end content to go with it, and I simply couldn't face going through any of the starting areas once again.

I tried WOW, never paid, but just the first 20 levels, which were free, with several classes. It struck me as a less vibrant, less interesting LOTRO (I know, WOW came first, and LOTRO is actually less diverse... but that's the direction I came to it from). The mechanics are similar to LOTROs, and it didn't have the fun of playing in a world I actually knew from literature. At this point, though, I'm tempted to give it another try, and this time perhaps as a paying customer, at least for a month or two, give it more of a fair shot.

I tried Neverwinter Online, but it's really very limiting as far as I can see, with only 8 or so classes, races that don't seem to have much effect, and very very linear play; get quest A, complete quest A, get quest B, etc. Oddly I would perhaps be more interested if it wasn't Forgotten Realms based, because now it -looks- like D&D, but it plays like some sort of Diablo clone. NWN nearly captured actual D&D rules (circa 3.0 or 3.5. Maybe Neverwinter is like a more recent D&D that I have never played?)

I'd be very open to any suggestions that any of you would care to make along these lines. Currently, thinking WOW or EQ2 as possible things to try. Or that Skyrim thing, which at least I already have downloaded :)

Antonok
2016-02-12, 02:00 PM
Crusader Kings II is a VERY in depth strategy game. Has a very steep learning curve though. Dwarf Fortress is another one along the strategy vein that I've heard is quite in depth.

Terraria is a 2D side scroller/adventure/RPG/building game that I've personally spent over 600 hours on (think I'm closing in on 700 hours). The wiring mechanics, character builds for fights, things you can build. It's very addictive.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head you can sink hundreds if not thousands of hours into that can get surprisingly deep with some of the systems.

danzibr
2016-02-12, 02:56 PM
I'm currently obsessed with a phone game: Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Sith_Happens
2016-02-12, 03:03 PM
If it's an obsession you're looking for you can't go wrong with Hearthstone, a.k.a. Card Games on Motorcycles Cell Phones.:smallwink:

Hunter Noventa
2016-02-12, 03:24 PM
If it's an obsession you're looking for you can't go wrong with Hearthstone, a.k.a. Card Games on Motorcycles Cell Phones.:smallwink:

Hearthstone is a lot of fun.

On that note Diablo 3 is pretty good, while it is online by default on PC, you don't have to play with anyone.

If you're willing to give WoW a try, I'll suggest you look into the Free Trial for Final Fantasy XIV. It's a solid and gorgeous MMO that actually tells a coherent story over the course of the game. And aside from dungeons, you can do everything solo. Including levelling every class on a single character. The dungeons aren't even that long, except for a couple, if any of them take longer than an hour you're doing something wrong.

Also available is Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's technically free, though being a free play will make you want to tear your hair out. But if you drop $5 on the game's in-game shop you get moved to preferred which is a lot less awful. The game has changed so much that you can solo absolutely everything except Flashpoints and Raids, and those are completely optional as far as progression goes. So really these days it's more like playing KotoR 3 with an online chatroom.

I'll also second Terraria as a very fun game. It can be a bit unfair at times, especially once you enter Hard Mode, but you don't need to do that until you really want to.

Other games that have pretty in-depth mechanics, though perhaps not as deep as Crusader Kings 2 would be the Civilization Series.

Lethologica
2016-02-12, 03:41 PM
You mentioned Skyrim--the other two big straight-fantasy WRPG series at the moment are Dragon Age and Witcher, currently represented by Inquisition and Wild Hunt, respectively. For something that (at least pretends to be) LotR-y, there's Shadow of Mordor, which is basically an Assassin's Creed port cast as a LotR side story.

Besides that...uh, Guild Wars 2, maybe? Or what Hunter Noventa said.

Sith_Happens
2016-02-12, 04:24 PM
Also available is Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's technically free, though being a free play will make you want to tear your hair out. But if you drop $5 on the game's in-game shop you get moved to preferred which is a lot less awful. The game has changed so much that you can solo absolutely everything except Flashpoints and Raids, and those are completely optional as far as progression goes. So really these days it's more like playing KotoR 3 with an online chatroom.

I think the deal now is also that if you subscribe for a single month (for $15) they give you all of the current expansions for free (and you still have access to them even after that month runs out).

CarpeGuitarrem
2016-02-12, 04:41 PM
I'm Nthing Terraria. I think you'd have a blast sinking tons of hours into exploring the crafting system, figuring out ways to set up shelters and even partially automate your stuff, and eventually upgrading into different types of equipment.

Sajiri
2016-02-13, 02:32 AM
Ive been playing FFXI again lately. Its old, and used to be very hardcore and timeconsuming, but now that its essentially finished (it's still supported and recieving regular updates, but there's not going to be any more expansions or story content). I like it because aside from the stories, there are a lot of classes, and they can differ depending on how you build them and want to play them. They've made catch up ridiculous easy now, you can do everything on one character and after you unlock some perks you can level a class through casual play in only a few days. You can get partner versions of various NPCs in the games to fill in the spots of a party member since not as many people play the game these days. It does require a subscription though. It has a lot of content to not get bored with it, unlike many newer games these days.

Single player games, Skyrim has a whole lot of mods now, including some very indepth quest ones which are like expansions in themselves. There is a thread on here for elder scrolls/skyrim that can help with mods. Related to that if you want something online, you could try ESO. I had it on PS4 but it was horribly laggy for me. Not sure if thats because I had to connect to a EU server from AUS, and it was around release on consoles so it wasnt stable. I bought it on steam instead while it was on sale and enjoyed it a lot more but havent got around to it a lot yet so I dont know just how much content needs other players. It has 4 'classes', but they arent restricting you from playing however you'd like, they just give you a bonus skill line. I for example made a sorcerer class character, but built her to be more like an arcane archer/dual wield daggers character and had a blast.

factotum
2016-02-13, 03:05 AM
You mentioned Skyrim--the other two big straight-fantasy WRPG series at the moment are Dragon Age and Witcher, currently represented by Inquisition and Wild Hunt, respectively.

However, given his stated liking for Neverwinter Nights, I'd recommend the original (Dragon Age: Origins) over Inquisition--Inquisition really plays like a single-character RPG where you just happen to have some guys following you around helping out, whereas Origins required you to control all the characters in your party to have a chance at the harder fights; it also has a tactical view which is very similar to NWN. Plus, you can get the Ultimate Edition of Origins with all the DLC included for two-thirds the price of Inquisition.

Lethologica
2016-02-13, 03:32 AM
However, given his stated liking for Neverwinter Nights, I'd recommend the original (Dragon Age: Origins) over Inquisition--Inquisition really plays like a single-character RPG where you just happen to have some guys following you around helping out, whereas Origins required you to control all the characters in your party to have a chance at the harder fights; it also has a tactical view which is very similar to NWN. Plus, you can get the Ultimate Edition of Origins with all the DLC included for two-thirds the price of Inquisition.
Fair enough, I've only played Origins anyway (and that only enough to be stuck in Orzammar foreeeeeeeeverrrrrrrrrr)