PDA

View Full Version : Ascension of Aeternus Act 2.1: There in Spirit

Aldurin
2016-02-12, 02:14 PM
It's a beautiful day in Arthia for the peace conference, but as far as Aiday is concerned it is an even better day to fight in a tournament. There's an arena outside of the town of Durinthus, which lies on the southeastern coast of the continent. Even though the Millennium Complex is will within teleporting distance a few hundred miles north, too much of the tournament overlaps with the peace conference's schedule, and the thrill of combat is far more appealing than the supposed thrill of heavy political banter with people who spend their lives inside of offices. The architecture of this fortress converted into a successful arena is a familiar sight,

As the sun rises over the horizon, Aiday draws out the grave soil in Chupoclop's seal. The visage of the colossal spider moves into the small view above the seal, but unlike other days where it growls at Aiday with a disconcerting hostility to begin the pact making, it speaks. "What do you know about worlds coming to their ends, eternal child? Do you think about the transience of reality, or do you give it even less thought than your disregard for how you always change our pact in your favor, naive child?" While there is contempt in its voice, it seems more driven by fascination to carry this conversation. It has never bothered to speak to her before, and she can't think of anything specific that would make it do so now.

You can make your binding check before you're done talking with your vestiges. Your "cast yesterday" spells are in effect, and you'll get to cast your "cast today" spells once you're done binding Chupoclops (I assume that's vestige metamagic powering those persistent extended spells).

greenpotato
2016-02-12, 08:38 PM
She tries not to let the fear show in her voice, something must be very wrong for such a drastic change in her routine.
"I know nothing of the worlds ending, your wisdom outstrips mine oh great harbinger, I am but a cowardly theif cowering in your majesty, humbled that you chosen to speak"
Aiday gives a deep bow that she hopes doesn't come off as patronizing.
"If the world is ending it is not something that I would like to be ignorant of"

[roll0] vs DC 25

Aldurin
2016-02-12, 11:17 PM
*Sigh* no fun times with Chupoclops influence for now. . .

Chupoclops scrutinizes Aiday for a moment, then replies. "You only receive this conversation because you have the power to influence fate, for your choices to be the choices of the world." It stands up and all that can be seen above the seal is a massive spider leg. "What most thinking creatures, even those that can predict the future, don't understand is that the future is a tree. Every major decision influences which branch the world travels along, and in futures where everything falls apart, the branch is short and hits a dead end. Today begins the day that the tree of the future becomes particularly dense, with many more ways to hit an abrubt ending. An arrogant man who is better at knowing than understanding has wrenched fate into the path of this cluster of branches, and now any number of influential people will spell the end of it all." It leans back into view, looking directly at Aiday. "If you are truly cognizant of the grander workings around you, you will have to choose. Will you fight to fend off the futility of following the branch that never ends, or will you lead time astray into the conclusion where everyone loses? I may be a phantom from beyond reality now, but my dream to see the world end still burns strongly at the sight of this opportunity. Navigate to a branch that runs short, and I will forgive your disrespects for our past pacts and grant you even more of my power to enjoy as you watch the world burn in its final moments. It is not an unreasonable offer. If the world is so likely to end then why not enjoy making it happen on your own terms?"

greenpotato
2016-02-12, 11:59 PM
Whoever Aiday was before her rebirth to immortality had surely worked very hard to achieve eternal life, but was eternity something that Aiday herself wanted? And was there a sin in betraying yourself?
She pauses for a moment to think.
"Do you speak of the end of this material plane, the end of this world? Or do you speak of the end of all existence?"

Aldurin
2016-02-13, 12:15 AM
"It's hard to say for certain. The world has never been truly ended before, or if it has then by its very nature there is nothing from then that would tell us of how it came about, and Amon certainly isn't going to speak on that subject. To end this planet and by extension its extraplanar inhabitants would fit a generic definition. Does destroying all things capable of perceiving reality in turn destroy reality itself? I have no motive other than to see it happen, so I say try for ending all of existence itself to make sure you don't come up short." Chupoclops has become less hostile in its speaking, and holds a certain whimsy to its musings. "As daunting as that may sound, the methods that will allow you to take steps in the right direction will become more accessible in the near future, by the very nature of this dense tree of what is to come."

greenpotato
2016-02-13, 12:22 AM
"Are you saying that the events that have been set in motion are not deliberate? That someone made some sort of error that will lead us down a short branch?"
Chucoclops words are not falling on deaf ears.
If I were to destroy all other 'creatures capable of perceiving creation' surely that means that eternity would belong to me, does that make me a god?

Aldurin
2016-02-13, 12:45 AM
"The events are deliberate, but their consequences are not. Many errors have brought an excess of short branches in sight of the present for the perceptive, and to the rest they will become much more apparent very soon. A bright and hopeful future is now tangled within a maze, and will be easier than ever to lead everyone astray from. But you have a tournament to win before these things matter, so I shall not delay you much longer. Do we have a deal, a pact of a different kind to make you my agent of the end?" Chupoclops almost seems to be eager at this point, an excitement which is unusually unnerving given the being it comes from.

greenpotato
2016-02-13, 01:59 AM
"I will say this; If I see with my mere mortal insight that an end is certain than I may do my best to shepard a quick and painless one. But no, we do not have a pact. I simply have your word that things are about to get ''dense', and we both know that these exchanges can hold deceit "

Aldurin
2016-02-13, 01:57 PM
Chupoclops goes silent and stands upright, disappearing from the seal's view. "Very well, child. There are other ways to go about this. You will become reliant on my power in the coming days, and you will inevitably falter in our daily arrangement. When that day comes, my influence will make you my agent against your will. Take your stilted pact for today, but do not forget who you rely on." The seal fades back to its normal state, and Aiday can feel the vestige's abilities as her own once again.

greenpotato
2016-02-13, 08:19 PM
Aiday cant help but be a little concerned, in the past these spirits had just been tools to use and exploit for power, the idea that they could use her back was not something she had ever considered a real possibility. Was he just bluffing?
She still needed his power for the tournament assuming that she got to the second day of events.

Aiday begins to bind Haures [roll0] vs DC 25.

Aldurin
2016-02-14, 03:10 PM
Haures' sign activates and the familiar image of the well-dressed man appears, in a sitting position despite having nothing visible to sit on from Aiday's view. He seems rather giddy today. "I always thought myself the best illusionist, but to think that there are people still alive who challenge that title is amazing. There is something special about the trickster who makes others think that sleight of hand is powerful magic, especially in front of a skilled mage." He transitions to his zombie-like state, his mouth still moving as he speaks but no words coming out. The silent words become indistinct growls as he moves through both tiger forms and comes back to his normal appearance. "-what they don't know that will be important in the coming days. All the others that I'm bindermates with are all abuzz about what begins today." He finally seems to notice Aiday's presence. "Which reminds me, how is the spider handling this? It's a rather droll and uninteresting fellow, but I guess nihilism does that to you."

greenpotato
2016-02-14, 10:47 PM
"Hes... excited, I suppose. He is convinced a chain of events has started today that brings about the end of existence"

Aldurin
2016-02-15, 02:17 PM
Haures transitions through his visual cycle again before responding. "Bah, like I said, boring. Whether or not the world is going to end is irrelevant, as the journey there will be far more fascinating. This is the start of a war that will play out more like a hall of mirrors than two armies clashing. What isn't known will become the premium knowledge currency, as the weave of deception is now thick enough to stop a knife. If I were still alive today, and knew what you will eventually know about the near future, I'd have made my castle much differently and taken some fantastic architectural designs from a few people." He begins to transition through again, but does not seem to be trying to say anything.

greenpotato
2016-02-17, 01:57 PM
Aiday also says nothing, finishing the ritual and then casting her usual spells.

Aldurin
2016-02-20, 11:30 PM
Both pacts take effect and Aiday heads off for the tournament. The turnout is large enough for a six-tier bracket, and the first four opponents make a noble effort but are outmatched by her, each one conceding before Revivify is needed. When she gets into the final four she faces off against a karsite woman dressed in what appears to be a kimono loosely woven from ribbons of sky blue and deep magenta, black hair tied into a ponytail behind her with several more of those ribbons. The announcer reveals her name is Shalandra Vrassen, hailing from the underdark. They both go through the pre-match formalities, and when they are about to make their first moves a voice booms throughout the arena.

People of the Material Plane! Pay attention for this is the most important series of events that you will ever witness! I am Aeternus, the new god of this universe and all the planes. The consequences of this are many and inevitable, as I change this world for the better. The planes are cut off from you, as traveling the Astral Plane is now too deadly to risk traversing, and I have laid waste to your peace conference with the first wave of my coming change. Nations will have to cease to be, and the old 'gods' will be dead. What will occur from this point on is a time of strife that is futile to resist, as the forces meant to prepare your world are methods only I control and can stop. But there are my chosen people, and you know who you are, who will survive this change and be the progenitors of the new universe! Do not struggle and do not resist, for either way whether or not you cease to be has already been decided. You will be hearing from the second wave shortly . . .

Shalandra stops and listens to the message, and when it ends she straightens back up. "I forfeit. Sorry, but if that is true then this is no time to be in a tournament. I hope you agree." She makes a friendly gesture Aiday and waits for her response.

Spot and sense motive checks, here or OOC is fine.

greenpotato
2016-02-21, 11:34 PM
Spot [roll0]
Sense motive [roll1]

Aiday hesitates, this could be a ruse, but then again the vestiges had warned of something happening. Was this what they saw coming?

Aldurin
2016-02-21, 11:37 PM
Aiday notices faint lines in the sky going north, as if the clouds were specifically arranged in a line. It also becomes apparent that something is . . . off with Shalandra's reaction to this affair, but what that is isn't clear.

greenpotato
2016-02-22, 08:31 PM
"I accept your surrender, look" she points up at the clouds "something unusual is happening to the clouds"

[roll0] Arcana
[roll1] Planes
[roll2] Religion

Aldurin
2016-02-25, 01:35 AM
Aiday can't think of any magical, planar or divine power that would cause this specific cloud phenomena. Weather alteration isn't quite this precise, and any creatures that influence the clouds don't leave trails like that.

Shalandra looks up and squints, "They lead toward the Millennium Complex, to the peace conference. Got any ideas on what we should do? I don't want to risk teleporting after that threat, but I don't have any fast means of overland travel. I'll back you up if you let me hitch a ride with you. We might know more if we just go straight to the capitol if we gain nothing from trying to search for survivors in the attack."

Could I get a primer on Bojge the Culler? Personality, beliefs and general direction of their build. That will allow me to actually bring them into play without accidentally making a character that doesn't match with what you described in Aiday's backstory.

greenpotato
2016-02-25, 05:42 AM
"I have no means of rapid transport other than teleport. Though I can run 34 miles in an hour for 5 hours without rest" She looks Shalandra up and down "And I doubt carrying you would slow me at all"

Bojge the culler would be a psion or, if he is gestalt, a psion//psychic warrior.
Hes a mentor and father like figure to many many elans, his name "the Culler" refers to his practice of taking on few pupils. His overarching goals and ambitions are focused on teaching and guiding his pupils, he sees elans as the greatest form of sentient life and he revels in the achievements and accomplishments of all elans. He preaches love and is a very caring man, if a little world weary after his thousands of years of life.

Aldurin
2016-03-02, 03:59 PM
"I meant something like the Overland Flight spell, even though that sounds faster." Shalandra responds. She seems to be conflicted over whether to put up with the indignity of being carried by someone else to a location.

While she's pondering Aiday receives a Correspond from Bojge. "Aiday, are you ok? I've got confirmation that people who have tried teleporting within the last few minutes have gone missing. Meet me at the Arthia capital if you can."

greenpotato
2016-03-03, 04:41 AM
I am fine, master, I am heading to the capital now. Are you okay, what have you heard?

"Are you coming or not?" Aiday says as she reaches for Shalandra.

Aldurin
2016-03-12, 02:15 AM
Shalandra accepts the offer but is clearly undignified on Aiday's back. It takes a few hours to reach Arthia's capitol city, during which Bojge fills in Aiday with the situation and Shalandra reveals a bit about herself through small talk. Shalandra claims that she found an intensity of hostile enchantments on clothing where karsites are unaffected but other creatures are still harmed by them, so she's made a combat style through wearing ribbons that can have that enchantment activated, and excels on controlling the positioning of battle this way. Closer to the capitol, she asks a question after half an hour of silence. "Say, what do you think of the current state of the world? There's good and bad to it, and many say that's how the balance should be. But what if it could be changed for the better, so that only good remained? How much change should everyone be subjected to in order to achieve that?"

"The peace conference was attacked with some sort of autonomous armor that takes control of the person it wears, capable of flight at speeds that rival dragons. I got to look at one of the recovered corpses and it's a gruesome sight. These captives have their skin directly grafted to the armor, and even have some kind of implant into the back of their heads. There's been no other activity we can tie to 'Aeternus' so far. Everyone is on edge as these creatures seem to break some rules, like being able to create fire from water to utilize as their method of flight."

The Arthia capitol is one of the most architecturally impressive cities in the Material Plane, rivaled by few places like Florikeme's Grand Citadel. Built around a river in the middle of a plain, the city sports high walls and higher towers that bear a less religious and more urban take on gothic architecture, very much a place that people can spend their entire lives in. When Aiday arrives at the capital she finds Bojge waiting at the gate. Shalandra gets back on her own feet and adjusts her clothing while Bojge makes hastened greetings, speaking to Aiday through telepathy. "The more I think about this, the more scared I am. It's impossible to know what to expect from the future. The metal those armors were made of out is something entirely new that the city blacksmiths are still trying to study, and the connections in the elan council don't have much. The only elan that was at the peace conference was Valen Wrimn, whose past conduct has rightfully put him on bad terms with the council. The Arthian government is also in disarray, and no one has a proposed course of action. I don't even know if setting up a defensive effort will do anything, if we're even targeted. I need your take on these events."

greenpotato
2016-03-14, 01:38 AM
"Good and bad is how things work, you cant have all good because someone or something will always be the least good and therefore bad by comparison" Is the response Aiday has to the strange question from Shalandra, after her discussions with the vestiges in the morning Aiday is suspicious about such a line of questioning, what does this woman know?

She arrives and greets Bogje, listening to what he has to say. "I dont know what to think, such an effective and rapid assault... do the automatons seem to target anyone or thing in particlar? Is there an evident motive in the attacks?"

Aldurin
2016-03-22, 01:13 AM
Shalandra doesn't immediately respond to Aiday's answer. She seems to think to herself after the introductions with Bojge, mumbling a faint response. "Do you say that from the luxury of never suffering from the allowed evil?" She perks up and speaks directly, but her expression is still sullen. "Thank you for the lift, I would gladly buy you a drink as a thanks but I have places I need to be. Do remind me if we meet again." She turns and walks away down the streets leading deeper into the city.

Bojge watches Shalandra, evident to Aiday that he's trying to get a read on her. "Strange fellow. Did she say if she had family in the capitol?" He turns his attention back to Aiday. "Anyways, given the verbal declaration following an attack on the peace conference, I think the motive is destabilization. No national affiliation can be firmly identified from the statement or the constructs sent to the assault, so everyone's first reaction is to try to pair Aeternus with the country they like the least. Florikeme will do their best to interpret this as a Verix Alliance ploy, even though the assault was reported to be indiscriminate, but ultimately they might not even be fighting the right enemy. I think Aeternus wants everyone to be off-balance so the biggest obstacles to whatever he wants to impose can be pushed over. We will likely hear of declarations of war before the day ends, but I don't think any will be against the real enemy. The Verix Alliance would have used something like this during the Great War if they had it, and they were too economically suppressed to be able to create advancements that are alien to known advancements in magic and artifice. And the other nations would have no apparent reason to go to such lengths to incite chaos."

"We could seek audience with the Arthian Council. The leaders of each nation will be the first to know of new developments, and with our abilities and reputation our presence would not be unwelcome. We could also hire someone for a shadow walk, and travel to a nearby location on this side of the material plane. From what it seems the only planar boundary that is safe is the one between the Plane of Shadow and here, and shadow walk seems to be the only way to successfully do it without shadow magic. Maybe investigate the aftermath of the assault at the Millennium Complex, or work with a nation that has a heavier political presence to stabilize the current disarray of diplomacy. And if we're really desperate would could try the tunnels under the city that lead to the Underdark, try to get in on the intelligence network the black markets have. I'm still unsure of what the best approach is."

greenpotato
2016-04-13, 08:09 PM
"I strongly doubt this is anything do with any of the established nations, the vestiges spoke to me in binding today. You know how signifigant that is. They indicated that there is much deception and danger in the events to unfold, if it were as simple as one nation attacking another then that would be straightforward and obvious not like the web of deceit that has been hinted to me."
She pauses for a moment.

"I think our best course of action is to learn as much as we can, and no political leader is going to be able to tell us anything of value, surely they will be all bickering and accusing at this point. It was suggested to me that others in contact with the vestiges had foreknowledge of these events, there will be people on the outskirts of society who know things. The underdark is our best bet to find a lead on an outcast that would tread this path"

Aldurin
2016-04-26, 10:40 PM
Bogje raises and eyebrow in surprise. "Vestiges don't involve themselves in matters like this, normally. It makes a better case for the underdark."

Aiday seeks out the entrances below the city and finds herself within what is referred to as the undercity of the capital, even if it is separated by half a mile of stone and operates under its own law. The racial mix is roughly the same here as above, except for the slight uptick in drow and dwarves that are seen running stalls or standing around in gangs that give menacing looks to pedestrians. While technically a black market, most of the stalls deal with goods that are normally subject to guild-controlled prices on the surface or oddities of no interest to normal civilians. A few shady folk have a few items that are considered illegal in most countries, most of them poison or religious symbols for evil gods. The atmosphere seems fairly unaffected by the declaration of war against the Material Plane, and if anything seems a little more upbeat as the normal shopping crowd has increased in size. Bogje separates to cover ground faster in their search for information brokers.

After a few minutes of not being able to find any businesses for spies and informants, Aiday notices a flicker of magenta in one of the alleys behind the buildings and she can feel her vestiges urging her to follow. After a few turns she recognizes Shalandra's footsteps weaving through the darkened urban maze just ahead of her. The footsteps finally come to a stop in an isolated corner of the alleys, and as Aiday peeks around she sees Shalandra talking with a tall figure in pitch black armor of a design she's never seen before. Only fragments of Shalandra's words come across, but something about the voice of the other prevents it from carrying intelligibly. Neither seem to be aware of her presence.