PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Glyph Of Warding - Spell Glyph

Segev
2016-02-12, 02:21 PM
This is a remarkably versatile spell. Its limitations and costs are very real, but it opens up interesting possibilities, as well.

First off, its downsides: it takes 200 gp to cast, and it is stuck in place. Usual questions about what qualifies as "not moving," such as whether or not you can use this effectively on a box in a boat, apply.

Now, its upsides include the fact that literally anybody can trigger it as long as they know what you set the trigger to be. Heck, if you wanted to, you could have it trigger off of something a magic mouth says, though why you'd do that rather than triggering it off of whatever triggers the magic mouth is a fair question.

It also allows you to set up a Concentration spell that will last, without Concentration, for the spell's maximum duration. I'm contemplating the use of that with something like project image, because having a projected image that doesn't require concentration could be very interesting. Even if it does cost 200 gp and an 8th level spell slot for the glyph.

Are there other spells that people can think of with Concentration but otherwise-long durations on which it would be interesting to use a glyph to maintain the Concentration?

What other neat tricks, cool spell ideas, etc. might be nice to fit into one? What would be great to have the trigger-er be the target of that he normally couldn't?

I think, for example, polymorph might be useful in that regard. Now you don't have to concentrate on your fighter's buff spell. (Admittedly, that's hard to arrange at any convenience, thanks to the immobility of the glyph.)

krugaan
2016-02-12, 03:10 PM
someone mentioned a rez station with death's respite or whatever, but that's bard only I think.

leomund's tiny hut for instant invulnerability (sort of). If you can prepare the site of battle beforehand.

off the top of my head

MaxWilson
2016-02-12, 03:21 PM
someone mentioned a rez station with death's respite or whatever, but that's bard only I think.

Why would it be bard-only? Cleric has access to both Glyph of Warding and Raise Dead/Death Ward/Revivify. I'm not sure though (AFB) whether Glyph of Warding can trigger on a dead creature, because a dead creature is an object and not a creature.

krugaan
2016-02-12, 03:28 PM
Why would it be bard-only? Cleric has access to both Glyph of Warding and Raise Dead/Death Ward/Revivify. I'm not sure though (AFB) whether Glyph of Warding can trigger on a dead creature, because a dead creature is an object and not a creature.

ah, my bad, I didn't realize that.

"when a creature carrying me steps within 15' of the glyph, and I am dead, case revivify on me"

I'm afb, don't have the exact wording of glyph of warding on me, but I think that's a valid use.

whats the most useful concentration spell that can be abused by this? (essentially a non-combat cast).

Spectre9000
2016-02-12, 03:32 PM

"when a creature carrying me steps within 15' of the glyph, and I am dead, case revivify on me"

I'm afb, don't have the exact wording of glyph of warding on me, but I think that's a valid use.

whats the most useful concentration spell that can be abused by this? (essentially a non-combat cast).

You'd have to make the glyph on a spot you'd expect to die for that to work. Additionally, you'd have to have died within 1 minute of a creature coming into a 15' range, which by technical reading doesn't include those already in 15' not to mention you could be killed by a creature 30' away that wouldn't care to examine your body.

Contingency would be a better fit for trying to do what you're doing, as you could do something akin to, on me reaching 0 hits, cast revivify on me.

krugaan
2016-02-12, 03:39 PM
You'd have to make the glyph on a spot you'd expect to die for that to work. Additionally, you'd have to have died within 1 minute of a creature coming into a 15' range, which by technical reading doesn't include those already in 15' not to mention you could be killed by a creature 30' away that wouldn't care to examine your body.

Contingency would be a better fit for trying to do what you're doing, as you could do something akin to, on me reaching 0 hits, cast revivify on me.

yes, its more of a BBEG thing, like a necromancer with a host of undead or something.

MaxWilson
2016-02-12, 03:42 PM

This isn't a concentration spell, but: it might be possible to abuse Foresight with Glyph of Warding. I'm not sure, would have to examine the text of both spells.

The most obvious way to abuse concentration spells with Glyph of Warding is to use it exactly as it is intended: e.g. cast five Glyphs of Warding on the same spot, each linked to a Conjure Elemental spell, so that any enemy who triggers the spell gets beat to death by five Earth Elementals at the same time. Then the combat reduces to "somehow get the enemy to move onto this spot," which can be done by a concentration of missile weapons and Dash maneuvers. Yes, you can do this to your players.

Beneficial uses are tricky, but you could potentially Glyph of Warding Beacon of Health or Aura of Vitality for some free healing in an emergency, and (AFB) it might be possible to use Glyph of Warding to set up one-time teleportation circle portals or even full Teleports. Ditto for communication spells like Sending and Telepathy. Expensive, but it means you don't need to have a wizard with you to make things work. Likely to have more impact on the game world than the PCs, because the PCs do not have a shortage of wizards.

yes, its more of a BBEG thing, like a necromancer with a host of undead or something.

A Necromancer is just going to have a Clone though. Clonse is especially dramatically appropriate because then the DM can offer the players the chance to secretly sabotage the clone before they fight the BBEG, thus blocking his escape route.

krugaan
2016-02-12, 03:54 PM
This isn't a concentration spell, but: it might be possible to abuse Foresight with Glyph of Warding. I'm not sure, would have to examine the text of both spells.

The most obvious way to abuse concentration spells with Glyph of Warding is to use it exactly as it is intended: e.g. cast five Glyphs of Warding on the same spot, each linked to a Conjure Elemental spell, so that any enemy who triggers the spell gets beat to death by five Earth Elementals at the same time. Then the combat reduces to "somehow get the enemy to move onto this spot," which can be done by a concentration of missile weapons and Dash maneuvers. Yes, you can do this to your players.

Beneficial uses are tricky, but you could potentially Glyph of Warding Beacon of Health or Aura of Vitality for some free healing in an emergency, and (AFB) it might be possible to use Glyph of Warding to set up one-time teleportation circle portals or even full Teleports. Ditto for communication spells like Sending and Telepathy. Expensive, but it means you don't need to have a wizard with you to make things work. Likely to have more impact on the game world than the PCs, because the PCs do not have a shortage of wizards.

A Necromancer is just going to have a Clone though. Clonse is especially dramatically appropriate because then the DM can offer the players the chance to secretly sabotage the clone before they fight the BBEG, thus blocking his escape route.

Hah, recurring villains always have more escape plans than they do viable party-killing tactics!

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-02-13, 07:49 AM
If you want to abuse the concentration element of Glyph of Warding, Banishment comes to mind.

It's an easy way to remove targets from the battlefield. Then you can defeat their friends before they come back-- if they come back. Against extraplanar foes it's a good way to avoid fighting them entirely.

That really is exactly as intended, considering how much 'summoned monsters as guardians' is a staple in D&D and fantasy in general. Something like this would make a great trap by the enemy's treasure room.