PDA

View Full Version : Help me create a marshal for my friend

Wolfsraine
2016-02-12, 03:07 PM
Some friends and I used to play 3.5 and one of those players really took a liking to the marshal class. Now that we want to start a 5e game he really wants to play a marshal. We're a laid back and relaxed group, we want everyone playing to have fun and enjoy their class. This was my initial thought for the class:

Fighter Archetype: Marshal

Minor Aura: At third level when this archetype is chosen, the marshal can, as a bonus action, motive his comrades to excel in certain areas. As a bonus action the marshal can grant his allies within a 30 foot radius an expertise bonus to skills. When the marshal activates this ability he chooses strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, or charisma. Characters friendly to the marshal gain expertise in the skills associated with the chosen ability. The marshal can only have one minor aura active at a time and it lasts until cancelled (free action) or until a bonus action is spent to change it for a different ability. He can do this a number of times per short rest equal to his charisma modifier.

Major Aura: Havent gotten this far yet. Granting advantage to allies who are adjacent and not actually flanking seems like it might be a bit strong. So any suggestions would be great!

Spectre9000
2016-02-12, 03:43 PM
Some friends and I used to play 3.5 and one of those players really took a liking to the marshal class. Now that we want to start a 5e game he really wants to play a marshal. We're a laid back and relaxed group, we want everyone playing to have fun and enjoy their class. This was my initial thought for the class:

Fighter Archetype: Marshal

Minor Aura: At third level when this archetype is chosen, the marshal can, as a bonus action, motive his comrades to excel in certain areas. As a bonus action the marshal can grant his allies within a 30 foot radius an expertise bonus to skills. When the marshal activates this ability he chooses strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, or charisma. Characters friendly to the marshal gain expertise in the skills associated with the chosen ability. The marshal can only have one minor aura active at a time and it lasts until cancelled (free action) or until a bonus action is spent to change it for a different ability. He can do this a number of times per short rest equal to his charisma modifier.

Major Aura: Havent gotten this far yet. Granting advantage to allies who are adjacent and not actually flanking seems like it might be a bit strong. So any suggestions would be great!

So your Fighter can give everyone expertise in Stealth and Slight of Hand checks indefinitely? You expect a town to not be picked clean, or that orc camp to not have every weapon stolen off them before the battle begins? Or better yet, convince the townspeople to simply hand everything over through Cha expertise, and convince the Orcs to lay down their arms through Cha expertise.

Calen
2016-02-12, 04:08 PM
Maybe this will be useful?

Forum Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472103-New-Class-Commander)

Wolfsraine
2016-02-12, 04:27 PM
So your Fighter can give everyone expertise in Stealth and Slight of Hand checks indefinitely? You expect a town to not be picked clean, or that orc camp to not have every weapon stolen off them before the battle begins? Or better yet, convince the townspeople to simply hand everything over through Cha expertise, and convince the Orcs to lay down their arms through Cha expertise.

While I appreciate the input, useful as it may be, I'm also looking for suggestions. I have never run a game so I'm not quite sure about balancing implications. Just trying to get a feel for what we could do to make sure he enjoys the class.

Our group isn't by any means a min max type of group, everyone just wants to have a good time.

Jeebs
2016-02-12, 04:35 PM
What about the Purple Dragon Knight from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide?

It's probably the weakest Fighter Archetype, but it approaches the flavor you want. You could always tweak it as well.

CantigThimble
2016-02-12, 04:35 PM
You could give him superiority dice that he can spend as bardic inspiration dice or on maneuvers like Commanders Strike and Maneuvering Attack.

Wolfsraine
2016-02-12, 04:36 PM
Maybe this will be useful?

Forum Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472103-New-Class-Commander)

Thanks! That is useful!