PDA

View Full Version : Martial Character Help!

Nerdguy88
2016-02-12, 03:28 PM
I am currently playing in a campaign based in the Gor universe (Warning: slightly NSFW google image search!) and will be making a new character very soon. My previous character did not live long.... The world is VERY martially focused and magic is all but illegal. I wanted to build a good fighter type character. I do not mean the fighter class necessarily but someone who is good at fighting.

Character creation limitations:

Magic is allowed but highly discouraged. The culture distrusts it and you will be hunted down/killed.

Level: 6
Stats: 20 19 18 17 16 15
Classes: Mainly PH1 classes but others allowed if reviewed.
Feats: No restrictions to my knowledge
No Flaws
Races: Any, for fluff reasons all races are "Human" with their racial abilities copy pasted over humans. Like a different ethnicity. - Side not I would strongly prefer no LA. We tend to go up against high CR monsters that hit like trucks. HP from levels is important!

Extra Anchovies
2016-02-12, 04:24 PM
If Magic of Incarnum is an allowed source, here's a solid melee build.

Human Azurin Barbarian 1/Totemist 4/Barbarian +1, Str > Con > Dex > Int > Wis > Cha
ACFs: Lion Spirit Totem (Complete Champion)
Feats:
1st: Extra Rage, Cobalt Rage
3rd: Multiattack
6th: Bonus Essentia

Pounce at people, chew them up. Power Attack isn't terribly helpful, because most of your attacks are secondary, but you'll have enough damage per-hit anyways. Put the appropriate ranks in Intimidate and Survival, and you can start on Totem Rager at your next level-up. Your go-to totem bind should be Girallon Arms; once you hit 9th level pick up Double Chakra (Totem), and add a second totem bind of your choosing.

Also, why the Gor universe? I hope your DM is ignoring or encouraging subversion of Norman's gender philosophy.

Nerdguy88
2016-02-13, 05:38 PM
Also, why the Gor universe? I hope your DM is ignoring or encouraging subversion of Norman's gender philosophy.

I'm not 100% on Norman's gender philosophy but yes it is very in universe in regards to how the ladies are treated. I wasn't super happy with playing in the campaign world but you know "Its better to play a bad game with good friends then a good game with bad ones."

And as far as Incarnum goes it nothing is really disallowed. Just magical things are strongly discouraged. I have very little experience with Incarnum. What kind of stuff would you recommend feat wise other then what is listed?

EDIT: Not saying I am not enjoying it. Have been having a lot of fun. I was just saying it is not the ideal campaign setting for me. Was wanting to play a LG Paladin :(

HalfQuart
2016-02-13, 06:50 PM
You could go straight Fighter if the Dungeon Crasher ACF is allowed from Dungeonscape. Or Warblade, if ToB is allowed?

SangoProduction
2016-02-13, 08:20 PM
Want a martial character? Either take pounce and power attack and all that other stuff and be a mindless damage machine, or go to 4e.

ghanjrho
2016-02-13, 08:23 PM
Want a martial character? Either take pounce and power attack and all that other stuff and be a mindless damage machine, or go to 4e.

Unhelpful, condescending and edition warring; the triple threat.

Nerdguy88
2016-02-13, 08:36 PM
You could go straight Fighter if the Dungeon Crasher ACF is allowed from Dungeonscape. Or Warblade, if ToB is allowed?

Oh Dungeon Crasher could work! I could do Goliath or Half-Giant and take Power Attack/Knockback! That would work wonderfully!

Level 5 Dungeon Crasher Fighter(ECL 6)

1 Power Attack
3 Improved Bullrush
F4 Knock Back

Extra Anchovies
2016-02-13, 08:56 PM
First off, Azurin would be a better choice than Human - with an Int of at least 15, the extra point of essentia helps you more than the extra skill. I've edited my initial post accordingly.

And as far as Incarnum goes it nothing is really disallowed. Just magical things are strongly discouraged. I have very little experience with Incarnum. What kind of stuff would you recommend feat wise other then what is listed?

Well, you'd be playing a charge-based character, so Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Boots) would be a good choice - you'd be devoting three of your four soulmelds towards combat, but the extra 3d4 sonic damage per hit would be a huge damage boost. Intimidating Rage might be useful, and shaping Brass Mane can get you a pretty crazy Intimidate modifier. Cobalt Charge gives you another point of Essentia and can give you a significant boost to hit and damage with your charge attacks. Any one of those would be a fine choice for a 12th level feat - I'd personally suggest Cobalt Charge, but it's up to you.