PDA

View Full Version : Spell Fusion Ideas

Erth16
2016-02-12, 04:38 PM
I am working on a game as a hobby. I intend for it to be a turn based strategy game, but if you scale down the battlefield sizes and number of participants the current design ideas would also work well as a trpg or miniatures wargame. There is a large class tree of martial characters, which aside from needing to fiddle with stat growth numbers, is mostly completed, and a few distinct casting classes, whose customization comes from the spells they learn. One of the key features of the game is using the terrain and altering it to suit your needs, through the use of magic and engineering.

The thing is though, I don't really have too many spell ideas to make the casters feel like they have a lot of choice. There are 10 schools of magic, Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Light, Dark, Metal, Wood, Void (or Non-elemental), and Ice. Each school has 10 levels of spells, each level having 3 spells available, at least that is the plan. Additionally, most spells if cast simultaneously with one of similar level from a different school fuse into one of the subschool spells. This is where my question lies.

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for spell fusions? I of course came up with a few concepts of my own, Fire+Earth making an explosive spell, Water+Wind making a fog over an area to reduce visibility and accuracy, Metal+Earth to create a bunker where units can heal and hide from ranged attacks. I just would appreciate any suggestions, even if I don't end up using them they could spark some inspiration in me.

Thank you in advance if you have any, and thank you for reading even if you don't.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-12, 05:16 PM
It sounds like you should rob spheres of power.

Jormengand
2016-02-12, 05:29 PM
A possible suggestion is that you could have each element contribute something to the spell, for example:

ElementTargetEffectSpecialFireA 20 foot radius areaTakes a lot of damageAnd is set on fireWater4 5 foot radius areasTake some damage and are knocked downAnd is slowedWindA 120 foot lineIs thrown to the end of the area and takes damageAnd drops somethingEarthA 40 foot radius area centred on you (but excluding you)Takes a little damage and is stunnedAnd is knocked back and down.LightA 10 foot radius area excluding your alliesTakes a little damage and is blindedAnd is illuminatedDarkOne creature, twiceTakes a fair amount of damage and is poisonedAnd gets a penalty to attacksMetalOne object, twiceTakes a fair amount of damage ignoring resistanceAnd gets a penalty to defenceWoodTwo creaturesTakes a little damage and is rootedAnd is entangledVoidEach creature next to you and/or a target allyTakes some untyped damageAnd is confusedIceA 30 foot radius area centred on you, excluding your alliesIs frozenAnd is slipped

So a fire, air and earth spell could deal a lot of damage in a 120 foot line and knock creatures back and down, or deal a little damage and stun creatures in a 20 foot radius, making them drop something. For example.