PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Dragons

HoodedHero007
2016-02-12, 07:34 PM
You have your dragons for all of the corner alignments, but why aren't there any NE, NG, LN, CN, or TN dragons?
Thankfully, I have dreamed up a couple (only 1 has been finished so far). So without futher ado, I present to you...

The Darkness Dragon
AN: I did not make this with Crenshinibon in mind, so R.A. Salvatore, if you're reading this, don't sue me
Darkness Dragon Wyrmling
Medium Dragon, Neutral Evil

AC: 17
HP:75
Speed: 30ft Fly 80ft

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
20 (+5)
15 (+2)
16 (+3)
16 (+3)
12 (+1)
16 (+3)

Saving Throws: Dex +4 Con +5 Wis +3 Cha +5
Senses: Blindsight 10ft. Darkvision 60ft. Passive perception 14
Skills: Perception +8 Stealth +4
Languages: Draconic
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
Dark Aura. The dragon leaches light from a 10 ft. sphere centered on itself. Whenever an effect would deal radiant damage to it, instead it heals the dragon equal to the amount of damage that would have been dealt.
Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon attack. +7 to hit, reach 5ft., one target
Hit: 10 (1d10 + 5) piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) necrotic damage
Inhale Light (Recharge 5-6). The dragon inhales light in a 15 ft. cone. Each creature in that cone must succeed on a DC 14 constitution saving throw, taking 24 (7d6) necrotic damage on a failed save and half as much on a successful one, the dragon then gains HP equal to the damage it dealt.

Young Darkness Dragon
Large Dragon, Neutral Evil

AC: 18
HP:178
Speed: 40ft Fly 100ft

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
24 (+7)
16 (+3)
22 (+6)
18 (+4)
14 (+2)
20 (+5)

Saving Throws: Dex +7 Con +10 Wis +6 Cha +9
Senses: Blindsight 30ft. Darkvision 120ft. Passive perception 18
Languages: Common, Draconic
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
Dark Aura. The dragon leaches light from a 15 ft. sphere centered on itself. Whenever an effect would deal radiant damage to it, instead it heals the dragon equal to the amount of damage that would have been dealt.
Actions

Multiattack. The Dragon makes three attacks: one with it’s bite and two with it’s claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon attack: +11 to hit, reach 10ft., one target
Hit: 18 (2d10 + 7) piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) necrotic damage
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5ft., one target.
Hit: 14 (2d6+7) slashing damage
Inhale Light (Recharge 5-6). The dragon inhales light in a 30 ft. cone. Each creature in that cone must succeed on a DC 17 constitution saving throw, taking 56 (16d6) necrotic damage on a failed save and half as much on a successful one, the dragon then gains HP equal to the damage it dealt.
Adult Darkness Dragon
Huge Dragon, Neutral Evil

AC: 19
HP:256
Speed: 40ft Fly 120ft

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
28 (+9)
18 (+4)
26 (+8)
19 (+4)
16 (+3)
22 (+6)

Saving Throws: Dex +10 Con +14 Wis +9 Cha +12
Senses: Blindsight 60ft. Darkvision 120ft. Passive perception 23
Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)
Dark Aura. The dragon leaches light from a 20ft. sphere centered on itself. Whenever an effect would deal radiant damage to it, instead it heals the dragon equal to the amount of damage that would have been dealt.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Actions

Multiattack. The Dragon can use it’s Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with it’s bite and two with it’s claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon attack: +15 to hit, reach 10ft., one target
Hit: 20 (2d10 + 9) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5ft., one target.
Hit: 16 (2d6+9) slashing damage
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target.
Hit: 18 (2d8 + 9) bludgeoning damage.
Inhale Light (Recharge 5-6). The dragon inhales light in a 60 ft. cone. Each creature in that cone must succeed on a DC 21 constitution saving throw, taking 63 (18d6) necrotic damage on a failed save and half as much on a successful one, the dragon then gains HP equal to the damage it dealt.
LEGENDARY ACTIONS

The dragon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The dragon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Detect. The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Tail Attack. The dragon makes a tail attack.
Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions). The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw or take 16 (2d6 + 9) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone . The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed.
Ancient Darkness Dragon
Gargantuan Dragon, Neutral Evil

AC: 22
HP: 546
Speed: 40ft Fly 140ft

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
31 (+10)
20 (+5)
30 (+10)
21 (+5)
18 (+4)
22 (+6)

Saving Throws: Dex +12 Con +17 Wis +11 Cha +13
Senses: Blindsight 60ft. Darkvision 120ft. Passive perception 26
Challenge 26 (90,000 XP)
Dark Aura. The dragon leaches light from a 30ft. sphere centered on itself. Whenever an effect would deal radiant damage to it, instead it heals the dragon equal to the amount of damage that would have been dealt.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Actions

Multiattack. The Dragon can use it’s Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with it’s bite and two with it’s claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon attack: +17 to hit, reach 10ft., one target
Hit: 21 (2d10 + 10) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 5ft., one target.
Hit: 17 (2d6+10) slashing damage
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target.
Hit: 19 (2d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage.
Inhale Light (Recharge 5-6). The dragon inhales light in a 90 ft. cone. Each creature in that cone must succeed on a DC 21 constitution saving throw, taking 91 (26d6) necrotic damage on a failed save and half as much on a successful one, the dragon then gains HP equal to the damage it dealt.
LEGENDARY ACTIONS

The dragon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The dragon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Detect. The dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Tail Attack. The dragon makes a tail attack.
Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions). The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw or take 16 (2d6 + 9) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone . The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed .

HoodedHero007
2016-02-12, 07:35 PM
reserved for light dragons

HoodedHero007
2016-02-12, 07:36 PM
reserved for clockwork dragons

HoodedHero007
2016-02-12, 07:37 PM
reserved for wierd dragons

HoodedHero007
2016-02-12, 07:38 PM
reserved for apathy dragons

pwykersotz
2016-02-12, 08:05 PM
If you want, here's a quick table for the stats to make them look a bit nicer. I ripped it from the Notable Threads sticky.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19264243&postcount=16

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

10 (+0)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)

Sigreid
2016-02-12, 08:50 PM
These were the crystal dragons I believe. I think they just didn't get there yet.

Gnomes2169
2016-02-13, 02:51 AM
These were the crystal dragons I believe. I think they just didn't get there yet.

Yes, there are gem dragons. I may or may not have made a port for them that I started a month or two after the MM came out, it may or may not be in my signature. I do fully expect them to be in the MM 2, however, since the only edition that has not introduced the gem dragons by then was 4e.

Also, I would suggest putting this in the homebrew section, seeing as this is a work of homebrew and all. And if you wanted to yoink the formatting for monster stat blocks to make them look psuedo-official, check out the gem dragon port I made. It should make your project a little easier to read/ organize, and thus easier to review.

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-13, 05:45 AM
Not a bad idea. Although these should be on the homebrew forum

JackPhoenix
2016-02-13, 06:42 AM
Yes, there are gem dragons. I may or may not have made a port for them that I started a month or two after the MM came out, it may or may not be in my signature. I do fully expect them to be in the MM 2, however, since the only edition that has not introduced the gem dragons by then was 4e.

Well, Gem Dragons were psionic, so I think we won't get them until the Mystic's finished.

Gnomes2169
2016-02-13, 09:26 AM
Well, Gem Dragons were psionic, so I think we won't get them until the Mystic's finished.

I would assume that they are holding the MM2 until after they get the psionics system down, since that gives a new power source to draw from, and a loooooooooooooooot of pre-existing creatures to stat out a more in-depth and proper psionic powers theme (like, for instance, different varieties of Ithillid, brain moles, etc). Heck, if they released them as a joint document (psionics+MM2), I wouldn't even be mad... I'd be buying both anyway. :smallbiggrin:

HoodedHero007
2016-02-21, 12:48 PM
Not a bad idea. Although these should be on the homebrew forum

For the record, I did not know there was a homebrew forum

Regitnui
2016-02-22, 02:04 AM
There was also the Greyhawk/Iron Dragon back in 3.5, though it only appeared in the magazine... I'll look it up later, though I did recall it being Neutral on at least one axis. The other dragons also used to be spaced along the Good and Evil axes...

If it really bothers you, go with the Eberron route and remove the Color-Coded For Your Convenience part of dragons, just giving them appropriate alignments.

HoodedHero007
2016-02-22, 07:55 AM
If it really bothers you, go with the Eberron route and remove the Color-Coded For Your Convenience part of dragons, just giving them appropriate alignments.
That would be way too boring

Regitnui
2016-02-22, 10:24 AM
That would be way too boring

Er... I think it adds a bit more complexity; you don't just bow to everything with shiny scales and kill everything without. Finding a gold dragon now raises the question of whether the dragon is friendly or hostile.

Sigreid
2016-02-22, 08:25 PM
Er... I think it adds a bit more complexity; you don't just bow to everything with shiny scales and kill everything without. Finding a gold dragon now raises the question of whether the dragon is friendly or hostile.

The only two relevant questions are "Is he rich? Do we think we can take him?" :D

Regitnui
2016-02-23, 02:26 AM
The only two relevant questions are "Is he rich? Do we think we can take him?" :D

And over here in the non-murderhobo corner, we like to think dragons could possibly be a story device; adding a third question. "Is it worth getting into trouble with the DM?"

HoodedHero007
2016-02-23, 04:37 PM
I ment types of dragons, what you origionally said was inturpretted by me as: only have 1 type of dragon.
I'm creating things that could be possibly used in a campaign

Temperjoke
2016-02-23, 04:41 PM
And over here in the non-murderhobo corner, we like to think dragons could possibly be a story device; adding a third question. "Is it worth getting into trouble with the DM?"

Where's the corner for those who are willing to listen to the dragon with a hoard of riches before deciding to attack it or not?

HoodedHero007
2016-02-23, 04:45 PM
Where's the corner for those who are willing to listen to the dragon with a hoard of riches before deciding to attack it or not?

The Society for Promotion of Elfish Welfare

Temperjoke
2016-02-23, 04:49 PM
The Society for Promotion of Elfish Welfare

Ah, thank you.

Regitnui
2016-02-24, 01:46 AM
I ment types of dragons, what you origionally said was inturpretted by me as: only have 1 type of dragon.
I'm creating things that could be possibly used in a campaign

Eberron has all the colours of dragon, metallic or not, but uncouples the alignment from colour so that you can have a LG red dragon and a CE gold dragon. Or heck, a TN Green Dragon that taught druidry to mortals.

By the way, I found the Steel/Greyhawk dragon. It's LN by RAW, and only in 3.5. If you want to use it, it'll have to be converted.

HoodedHero007
2016-02-24, 01:30 PM
By the way, I found the Steel/Greyhawk dragon. It's LN by RAW, and only in 3.5. If you want to use it, it'll have to be converted.

If I abandoned this idea, I would hate myself

MaxWilson
2016-02-24, 02:33 PM
I don't see a need for neutral dragons per se. Good dragons at my table play out as mostly neutral anyway in terms of choosing sides. That is, evil dragons view humans the way humans view cows and coyotes and honeybees; good dragons view humans the way humans view spotted owls and caged mice and Cecil the Friendly Lion. Good dragons will go to bat for humans in the sense of trying to keep evil dragons from exploiting them too much, but they won't actually go to bat for humans the way they'd go to bat for other dragons or the way humans would go to bat for each other. Politically, they tend towards neutral-nice and occasionally-helpful.

In short, all of my dragons are basically neutral or worse, from a plot perspective.

There were also steel dragons in AD&D (2nd edition). See http://dedpihto.narod.ru/games/Monsters1/MM00075.htm

Regitnui
2016-02-25, 03:09 AM
If I abandoned this idea, I would hate myself

It's in Dragon Magazine #339, from page 51-54. That should save you the trouble I went through digging it up out of the archives.

HoodedHero007
2016-02-26, 03:19 PM
It's in Dragon Magazine #339, from page 51-54. That should save you the trouble I went through digging it up out of the archives.

I meant the idea with each dragon that I'm making