PDA

View Full Version : Battle Master Question!

SMac8988
2016-02-13, 12:09 AM
So at the end of my groups last session I reached level 3 in my fighter. I plan to go into the battle master, and have been looking over the different maneuvers.

I was wondering what everyone would suggest for the first 3 I should pick up.

Also was wondering if modifiers get added to the damage from sweeping attack, or great weapon damage? Or is it just the superiority dice. I loved cleave in 3.5 and feel this maybe the closest I can get, but seems like such minimal damage.

My group is a paladin using a bow; we reworked smite to only ranged attacks for her, a warlock focusing in casting and a cross bow, and a druid; aiming moon druid. I'm basically it for a tank and close range combat.

So please flood me with your knowledge great giants! :)

Townopolis
2016-02-13, 12:33 AM
Menacing Attack is a good one and usually considered superior to Goading Attack. The only reason to take the latter is if the DM almost always makes goaded enemies attack you, regardless of other tactical considerations... and maybe not even then.

Trip Attack is good, as is Precision Attack.

Distracting Attack might be good to help your paladin ally land and crit smites.

In general, I'd take Menacing Attack, Trip Attack, and Precision Attack.

djreynolds
2016-02-13, 02:58 AM
So at the end of my groups last session I reached level 3 in my fighter. I plan to go into the battle master, and have been looking over the different maneuvers.

I was wondering what everyone would suggest for the first 3 I should pick up.

Also was wondering if modifiers get added to the damage from sweeping attack, or great weapon damage? Or is it just the superiority dice. I loved cleave in 3.5 and feel this maybe the closest I can get, but seems like such minimal damage.

My group is a paladin using a bow; we reworked smite to only ranged attacks for her, a warlock focusing in casting and a cross bow, and a druid; aiming moon druid. I'm basically it for a tank and close range combat.

So please flood me with your knowledge great giants! :)

As the tank will you be using a shield and sword, or great weapon. For only one reason, I recommend someone using S&B "extensively" skip the trip maneuver and grab shield master, only because I find the ability to shove or prone with shield master is easier because it is a contest, and you can snag 1 level of rogue to get expertise in athletics.

Otherwise Townopolis, is right precision, trip and menacing are the best, especially for the polearm master.

Captbrannigan
2016-02-13, 04:15 AM
Note that you can choose to trigger Trip Attack on any hit, including an AoO. Combined with Sentinel, you just knocked them prone and set their speed to 0 so they have to use their action to dash to get up. Too bad you only get a single reaction per round.

Menacing and Precision Attack are the other big winners, as others have mentioned. Pay attention to maneuvers that specify "weapon attack" rather than "melee weapon attack," as you can use those with your backup longbow when you need to. Note that ranged Menacing Attacks will likely be nerfed by your DM.

Addaran
2016-02-13, 08:45 AM
Disarm can be fun too, if you fight humanoids with weapon.

I quite enjoy riposte too. When you're low on HP and know you'll go down, make sure to use up all your SD to make them pay dearly before you fall.

No rogue, so commanding strike is less good, but if you do crappy damage, it could be good to trade one of your attack for another shot from the paladin (to smite!) making him go supernova on the big bad.

Captbrannigan
2016-02-13, 09:14 AM
Disarm works best when you follow it up with some shoves, prone and away preferably. If you leave it at their feet, it's either a free action or part of a move to pick up. Again, another fun one to use at range.

SMac8988
2016-02-13, 10:18 AM
I was at a debat at first to gi sword and board but ended up varient human with a great sword and great weapon master, glad i did cause the first boss fight almost whipped the group if i didnt get that lucky nat 20, with the boast. 2 2d6 +20, +6 str diffently saved us.

i was thinking menence, sweeping and reposite. They seem strong for me to be up front. But percise or command could be good to increase my pally damage.

Does str or great weapon damage get added to sweeping or reposite damage? Or just the superiority die?

Addaran
2016-02-13, 11:31 AM
Disarm works best when you follow it up with some shoves, prone and away preferably. If you leave it at their feet, it's either a free action or part of a move to pick up. Again, another fun one to use at range.

Use your free object interaction to kick it behind you! Or have someone with mage hand/cunningaction/free hands grab it.

Captbrannigan
2016-02-13, 02:09 PM
Use your free object interaction to kick it behind you! Or have someone with mage hand/cunningaction/free hands grab it.
As their weapon falls at their feet, it is in an occupied square and you can't enter it to snatch the weapon unless you're small. Some will rule you can snatch it out of the air, or let you kick it out of their square, but RAW sticklers probably won't let you get away with it. Or they'll just start sending a lot more monsters at you.

Christian
2016-02-14, 03:25 AM
As their weapon falls at their feet, it is in an occupied square and you can't enter it to snatch the weapon unless you're small. Some will rule you can snatch it out of the air, or let you kick it out of their square, but RAW sticklers probably won't let you get away with it.

I can't find the rule that says you have to move into an object's square to interact with it. Can you give me the page number?

Or the page that even mentions 'squares', other than as an optional rule.

joaber
2016-02-15, 04:21 PM
As their weapon falls at their feet, it is in an occupied square and you can't enter it to snatch the weapon unless you're small. Some will rule you can snatch it out of the air, or let you kick it out of their square, but RAW sticklers probably won't let you get away with it. Or they'll just start sending a lot more monsters at you.

your arm have a reach of 5, so you don't need to enter in the object square. I don't need to get up in a chest to try to open it. This doesn't make any sense.