PDA

View Full Version : Aasimar + tieflings = ?

Pyro
2007-06-16, 08:44 PM
Ok, there's something thats been bugging me recently. I was playing Planescape Torment and a question cropped up. What would you call the spawn of an Aasimar and a tiefling?

Sorry if the answer to this is ovrewhelmingly obvious but I've only ever played computer RPGs, so I guess I'm stupid because of that. O and is this the right forum for this question?

de-trick
2007-06-16, 08:49 PM
i guess human i think they cancel out each other

Ditto
2007-06-16, 08:51 PM
Tis the right forum. I have no idea what you'd call it. Why Mr. Half-good would be mating with Mrs. Half-evil is beyond me, but I'd blame it on their human halves - the child would be yet *another* kind of half-human, and further testament that humans should stop breeding with everything that moves.

EDIT: Nah, you'd have to come up with some new name. It'd be 1/2 human, 1/4 Aasimar, 1/4 Tiefling still... if they cancelled each other out, you'd be left with half a baby. Obviously.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-06-16, 08:51 PM
There are four valid answers. The first I propose is a human. The fluff on Aasimar and Tielings is that they are mostly human with a bit of distant good/evil outsider ancestry. Another bit of fluff is that the traits can appear seemingly out of nowhere from parents that, besides one of them having this same ancestry, are ordinary humans. However, many people interperet Tieflings as only one step removed from a full-blown half-fiend, if even that.

The next easiest would be that the offspring takes after one parent more than the other, resulting in an Aasimar or a Tiefling.

Otherwise, it's homebrew time. I might actually whip something up, though it'd be based on my own Tiefling/Aasimar homebrews.

Edit: As for what you'd call it... unless was human or it displayed enough of both traits or had something else obviously special about it to set it apart, it would probably be labeled either a Tiefling or an Aasimar by characters in-game, even if it was a hybrid. What to actually call it to be more clear, I have no idea. I have no idea where the names Tiefling, Aasimar, or Genasi come from in the first place.

Ulzgoroth
2007-06-16, 08:56 PM
I don't think it's overwhelmingly obvious...rules on exotic cross-breeds generally just aren't out there, unless the designers decided to make one up. If they did in this case, I don't know about it...

Assuming there isn't something lurking in the depths of the monster books, the answer is DM's choice. It wouldn't make much sense to lose the native outsider traits and revert to a human. The easiest thing would be for no offspring to be possible. You could have the children be some Aasimar and some Tieflings, which wouldn't make all that much sense, but is still easier than the other option of homebrewing a hybrid race.

(I'd note that a half-elf cross with either human or elf is supposed to produce mechanically pure-breed children, if I remember right.)

Replacement
2007-06-16, 09:08 PM
Ooooh Oooooh! I know this one!!!

Mongrelfolk, Complete Destiny! (not really but makes some perverted sense)

Citizen Joe
2007-06-16, 09:14 PM
Why does everytone think every race can cross breed with another? Look at the mule... they are sterile.

Prince_of_Blades
2007-06-16, 09:16 PM
Races of Faerun, page 112, says
The offspring of two planetouched is always a planetouched. Mixed-heritage planetouched of this sort take after one or the other parent (seemingly equal chances) but carry the traits of the other parent, which may show up in their own children.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-06-16, 09:17 PM
Aasimar and Tieflings are a mite differant in the fluff, though. At least as I read it, they're mostly human and can breed with humans normally (with some planetouched cropping up randomly in a family tree over generations). Why the two couldn't breed under those asumptions is a mystery.

Granted, I can't remember whether this fluff is standard stuff or setting specific. Faerun probably (see above).

nooblade
2007-06-16, 09:20 PM
Why does everytone think every race can cross breed with another? Look at the mule... they are sterile.

Hee-hee, half-elves are sterile. Its not as funny for some reason when you think about half-orcs, maybe its easy to think that its a good thing. But the halflings don't seem to have any problems. Hrmm, I think that if you bar the "sterility" idea and the "= human" notion, then you might actually get something with human, good outsider, and bad outsider stuff. Why not have darkness and/or light as SA? That'd be just about it, unfortunately, except maybe little horns and vestigial wings.

edit: Is PS: Torment in faerun?

Neon Knight
2007-06-16, 09:23 PM
In my opinion, the baby would explode due to conflicting good/evil halves. Assuming both trait passed, of course.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-06-16, 09:28 PM
1: The baby would either inherit one or the other.

2: The baby would not inherit either, and be simply born a human. Simple as that.

3: The baby would not be born.

4: Freaky homebrew.

That's what I think would happen, in order of likelyhood.

Suzaku
2007-06-16, 09:35 PM
1: The baby would either inherit one or the other.

2: The baby would not inherit either, and be simply born a human. Simple as that.

3: The baby would not be born.

4: Freaky homebrew.

That's what I think would happen, in order of likelyhood.

Hmmm well I don't want to kill cat-girls today but it seem that this order would be more accurate

1a: Freaky homebrew

1b: No baby would be born (parents are sterile)

2a: The baby would either inherit one or the other.

2b: The baby would not inherit either, and be simply born a human. Simple as that.

1a and 1b are both are far more likely then 2a and 2b.

I'm leaning towards Freaky homebrew as both combination of genes would be past down to the child. If both genes are incompatible with each other the result of not having a child would be far more likely then having a human or one trait or the other.

SurlySeraph
2007-06-16, 09:38 PM
edit: Is PS: Torment in faerun?

Officially, I don't think so. Unofficially, they've been putting Planescape material into the Forgotten Realms setting for a while now - especially in PC games - so I think that Faerun technically is in Planescape.

A friend of mine played a half-celestial half-fiend druid once. We just gave her all the features of both templates and had the level adjustments stack. The +8 level adjustment kind of completely gimped her until we were in epic levels, though. I'd do the same for a tiefling/ aasimar - give it the stat modifications (the charisma bonus and penalty would cancel out)and special abilities of both races, with a +2 level adjustment.

Suzaku
2007-06-16, 09:39 PM
Officially, I don't think so. Unofficially, they've been putting Planescape material into the Forgotten Realms setting for a while now - especially in PC games - so I think that Faerun technically is in Planescape.

A friend of mine played a half-celestial half-fiend druid once. We just gave her all the features of both templates and had the level adjustments stack. The +8 level adjustment kind of completely gimped her until we were in epic levels, though. I'd do the same for a tiefling/ aasimar - give it the stat modifications (the charisma bonus and penalty would cancel out)and special abilities of both races, with a +2 level adjustment.

Ok what about Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tiefling?

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-16, 09:41 PM
You could wind up with this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/DarkShadowRage/dizxxtransformani.gif).:smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2007-06-16, 09:52 PM
Ok what about Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tiefling?

I'd make it a +1 LA, using the same 0 = 1/2 math as is used for level 0 spells.

Also, AtomicKitKat wins a free tieflimar. :smallbiggrin:

CASTLEMIKE
2007-06-16, 10:31 PM
There is always rule 0 for any campaign.

The Players Guide to Faerun introuduces +0 Planetouched.

IMO there are three ways to consider the planetouched. Normally it's the planar bloodline thinning out. Taking two opposing templates could weaken each other enough to do the same thing and make the child just planetouched or it could make the child a half-fiend or half celestial along the lines of a celestial or fiendish planar union with a prime material creature from the Monster Manual.

So Plane touched +0 works best IMO taking both templates but without all the planar aspect bennies of a two +0 templates:

Humanoid whatever race Planetouched and not Native Born Outsiders with Darkvision, +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +0 Char, Light 1/Day, Darkness 1/Day, +2 to Bluff, Hide, Listen and Spot checks, Cold and Electricity Resistance 5 and either No other Elemental Resistances or Acid and Fire Resistance 2 and carrying a physical trait of each ancestry.

Taking the level in one side to gain outsider benefits negates the benefits of the other heritage as you are effectively purging it from the being unless you want the worms of stack celestial and fiendish templates on each other.

thehothead
2007-06-17, 01:12 AM
Also, AtomicKitKat wins a free tieflimar. :smallbiggrin:

Teifimar? It's obviously an Aasiling.

Talya
2007-06-17, 07:53 AM
Teifimar? It's obviously an Aasiling.

Yes. I vote for Assling.

Now:

Fiendish or Celestial creatures who mate with other creatures do not produce sterile offspring. Half-fiends/Half-Celestials are quite fertile. Their outsider parent is quite magic, mundane genetic rules of breeding do not apply.

Tieflings or Aasimar are many generations removed from even half-outsiders. They are manifesting recessive traits that have lain dormant in their family for a long time. Their children will likely not have those traits. Even an aasimar who mates with an aasimar typically has a human child. An aasimar and a tiefling would be similar, although there would be a small chance the child would be either.

(Other notes: In D&D, half elves are not sterile. Neither are half-orcs, as proven by the town of Palischuk.)

Setra
2007-06-17, 07:59 AM
You could wind up with this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/DarkShadowRage/dizxxtransformani.gif).:smallbiggrin:
What about the tail?

Where does that fit in?

Was one of the parents half-dragon? :smalltongue:

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-06-17, 08:22 AM
Yes. I vote for Assling.

Now:

Fiendish or Celestial creatures who mate with other creatures do not produce sterile offspring. Half-fiends/Half-Celestials are quite fertile. Their outsider parent is quite magic, mundane genetic rules of breeding do not apply.

Tieflings or Aasimar are many generations removed from even half-outsiders. They are manifesting recessive traits that have lain dormant in their family for a long time. Their children will likely not have those traits. Even an aasimar who mates with an aasimar typically has a human child. An aasimar and a tiefling would be similar, although there would be a small chance the child would be either.

(Other notes: In D&D, half elves are not sterile. Neither are half-orcs, as proven by the town of Palischuk.)

indeed, biology counts as science and is thus ignored completely, magic: it makes everything work.

Wraithy
2007-06-17, 08:27 AM
d&d wiki had a homebrew race about them, called them "forbidden".
although that specific version was rubbish there was a valid point, because of the veriety involved with their heritage it worked on a "make your own sunday" style race. you chose one attribute (horrible uglyness) which gave you a minus to the score, then chose a positive (negative energy affinity) which evened the score, by adapting this you could create a scale allowing for different LAs in accordance to peoples tastes. someone who dispises LA could have a perfect balance, someone who doesn't mind LA could have it a bit more powerful etc.
but as i said the one on d&d wiki was rubbish

KIDS
2007-06-17, 08:27 AM
I believe that the result would be something like a Draenei (link to description and a few pictures) (http://www.wowwiki.com/Draenei). They are a perfect mix of something both holy and infernal at the same time, and I don't see why it wouldn't work in D&D too.

For racial traits, however, I have no clue at all.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-17, 08:29 AM
What about the tail?

Where does that fit in?

Was one of the parents half-dragon? :smalltongue:

Most fiends have tails...

Setra
2007-06-17, 08:50 AM
Most fiends have tails...
I reject your statement as reality. :smalltongue:

Well honestly that kinda slipped my mind for a bit.

Tengu
2007-06-17, 08:58 AM

Well, actually, aren't gears some sort of biological constructs?

Saph
2007-06-17, 09:01 AM
Ok, there's something thats been bugging me recently. I was playing Planescape Torment and a question cropped up. What would you call the spawn of an Aasimar and a tiefling?

A Mary Sue?

. . . sorry, you'll probably only get that if you've read as many bad fan-fictions as I have. ;)

- Saph

Matthew
2007-06-17, 06:28 PM
Faerun is in Planescape, as are all Primes. Some have become 'cut off', though.

SpiderBrigade
2007-06-17, 07:46 PM
What about the tail?

Where does that fit in?...do you really want to know that?

Fawsto
2007-06-17, 08:00 PM
A few more pages and we are going to discuss freaking Book of Erotic Fantasy! Blerghhh!

C'mon... Just roll a freaking d6, 1,2,3 she is an Aasimar, 4,5,6 she is a Tiefling. Period!

I wonder if someone, someday will discuss the breed of Erynies with a Solar.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-17, 08:29 PM
You'd call it an Aasling.

Fawsto
2007-06-18, 07:58 AM
... Indeed...

Kurald Galain
2007-06-18, 09:06 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet.

Obviously this should result in the birth of TWINS. One good twin, one evil twin.

:Elan: Oh, that's such a cliche, even for this comic!

Swooper
2007-06-18, 09:15 AM

Obviously this should result in the birth of TWINS. One good twin, one evil twin.

Win. :smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2007-06-18, 10:03 AM
I like the idea of Mongrelfolk. They're screwed in the racial feat and class department, but its nifty fluff.

I'd also be fine with combining all their racial attributes. Maybe +2 Wis, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, Resistance to acid, cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5, and darkvision 60. Can cast Dispel Magic once per day (with a Caster Level = Character Level), but only against spells or effects with the Light or Darkness spell Descriptor. Favored Class: Any. +1 LA. It'd be good for a Skill Monkey build.

Yes, it'd be more powerful then either of its parents, but let's be honest, its parents were idiots for taking such a piss poor +1 LA race.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-06-18, 10:32 AM

Ahh, but, you're forgetting the twist. They're identical twins, except that one's an aasimar and one's a tiefling (magic > biology). Also, the aasimar grows up to be evil, while the tiefling is the good twin.

Person_Man
2007-06-18, 10:53 AM
Ahh, but, you're forgetting the twist. They're identical twins, except that one's an aasimar and one's a tiefling (magic > biology). Also, the aasimar grows up to be evil, while the tiefling is the good twin.

Wait, there's more! They both grow up to be powerful wizards. But even though they are gifted and far ahead of their class in every way and can beat any other wizard on the planet (with the exception of their teacher/mentor figure and the BBEG), their magic has no effect on each other. This will be plot significant for some reason, because every ability/weakness a main character has is plot significant, otherwise the author wouldn't bother to include it.

Are there any other cliches we forgot to include? Do they need respective animal friends (presumably familiars) for comic relief?

Pronounceable
2007-06-18, 11:10 AM
A bizarre love triangle maybe? With some other hybrid being torn between good and evil herself?

Redblade
2007-06-18, 11:22 AM
What do you get when a Tiefling and an Aasimar mate?

A scandal.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-06-18, 11:41 AM
You ask what do you get from an Aasimar / Tiefling relationship?

Not only a scandal, but:

" Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whose misadventur'd piteous overthrows
Doth with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, naught could remove,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend."

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-18, 01:28 PM
Julietalisid: Oh Romeorcus, Romeorcus, wherefore art thou, Romeorcus? Deny thy Father, and renounce thy blood!:smalltongue:

Pyro
2007-06-18, 09:11 PM
Hmmm, I sorta suspected that the end result would be "homebrew". If only someone would do it for just to see how it would work out. I guess the Aasling will never see the light of an actual game.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has noticed the actual titles of this thread. I mean it's Aasimar + tieflings = ?. Someone needs to make a creepy love triangle joke!

Amphimir Míriel
2007-06-18, 09:44 PM
Anyway I'm surprised no one has noticed the actual titles of this thread. I mean it's Aasimar + tieflings = ?. Someone needs to make a creepy love triangle joke!

Oh my god... the idea of two tiefling dominatrixes submitting a pious aasimar paladin chained to a bed is suddenly unwilling to leave my mind... the horror!!!

SurlySeraph
2007-06-18, 10:35 PM
^ Belkar Romance Thread artists, I summon you in the name of various angels and fiends! Do what Amphimir Míriel just suggested, and get a special buy-one-get-one-free coupon for your choice of either Tieflimar or Asslings!

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-18, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, I sorta suspected that the end result would be "homebrew". If only someone would do it for just to see how it would work out. I guess the Aasling will never see the light of an actual game.

I homebrewed a "Planar" once(posted somewhere on these boards. Probably lost with forum change), combining all 9 alignment Planes, all 4 Elemental Planes, the Positive and Negative Energy Planes, and possibly the Plane of Shadows, the Ethereal Plane, and the Astral Plane. I had to give up halfway because it was getting near impossible to fit everything into a single page.:smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2007-06-19, 04:05 AM
Julietalisid: Oh Romeorcus, Romeorcus, wherefore art thou, Romeorcus? Deny thy Father, and renounce thy blood!:smalltongue:

Wasn't there a Romeorc and Julielf poem on the web somewhere?

Atanuero
2007-06-19, 09:15 AM
Lol, I can imagine a character like that that is Lawful Good and really serious. And a cleric or paladin to boot.

'Hello, I'm [name]. I am an Assling.'

'A....what?'

'An assling. Get it out of your system now before I Smite Evil.' :smallbiggrin:

Pyro
2007-06-19, 09:38 PM
I homebrewed a "Planar" once(posted somewhere on these boards. Probably lost with forum change), combining all 9 alignment Planes, all 4 Elemental Planes, the Positive and Negative Energy Planes, and possibly the Plane of Shadows, the Ethereal Plane, and the Astral Plane. I had to give up halfway because it was getting near impossible to fit everything into a single page.:smallbiggrin:

I just saw this and I'm wondering how did this work? I mean wouldn't the "planar" explode from all those colliding planes. Also how do you have kids with a fire elemental. Either way you're going have lots and lots of 3rd degree burns.

thehothead
2007-06-19, 11:59 PM
I just saw this and I'm wondering how did this work? I mean wouldn't the "planar" explode from all those colliding planes. Also how do you have kids with a fire elemental. Either way you're going have lots and lots of 3rd degree burns.

Magic? Fire immunity?

Grim Greyscale
2007-06-20, 12:26 AM

A Wizard Did It. What did you think?

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-20, 01:04 AM
You can always do it with a Genasi, or one of those Djinn-type things. If you do it with a Red or Gold Dragon, you get the (Fire) Subtype as well. Not all things of the type "Elemental" are fully composed of said Element.

Tengu
2007-06-20, 02:35 AM
I think this is a good topic to show off a character I've made up some time ago:

He is a half-fallen angel. Yup, his father was a fallen angel. He didn't know him and lived with his mother in a small village, but when he was out hunting the village and everyone was killed was destroyed by an army of an evil overlord. The character swears vengeance and departs on a journey, sometimes led by mysterious clues of an even more mysterious sage - unknowingly to him, both the sage and the overlord are his father, who's now trying to repent for his evil past. The character is blind, but due to extraordinary senses can still perceive his opponent. He also has white, angelic wings, and in combat uses a double weapon that's a pistol on one side and a very long katana on the other. He has a special, "angered" form in which he grows in power, loses control of himself, and becomes all dark and demonic - his wings also turn black.

Any ideas how to make this character even more Mary-Suesque?

Tobrian
2007-06-20, 06:14 AM
Nah, you'd have to come up with some new name. It'd be 1/2 human, 1/4 Aasimar, 1/4 Tiefling still... if they cancelled each other out, you'd be left with half a baby. Obviously.

How about a planetouched human with 2 heritage feats: both fiendish heritage and celestrial? Humans get two bonus feats at first level, it would work, rules-mechanically speaking. The child would probably be LN, N or CN when it grows up.

Oh my god... the idea of two tiefling dominatrixes submitting a pious aasimar paladin chained to a bed is suddenly unwilling to leave my mind... the horror!!!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
Naa, he's just trying to convert them to become pious nuns! Obviously.

Now we know why paladins get immunity to disease.

Hell, it's not like he would lose his paladin status for that, unless his deity is a puritan. :smallwink:

Or does that fall under "peaceful contact with an outsider of questionable morals"?

Quincunx
2007-06-20, 03:27 PM

Oh, it's quite amusing. Watch Dracula - Dead and Loving It. The first ten or fifteen minutes should pass the appropriate scene.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-20, 08:24 PM
Oh, it's quite amusing. Watch Dracula - Dead and Loving It. The first ten or fifteen minutes should pass the appropriate scene.

I remember that. Leslie Nielson's Renfield is hilarious!:smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2007-06-21, 01:32 PM
What would you call the spawn of an Aasimar and a tiefling?

Conflicted.