PDA

View Full Version : Is Warhammer 40k dead or dying?

CakeFace
2016-02-13, 02:23 PM
Hi guys the question is in the title. I was just wondering how 40k was doing in terms of people playing. Thanks!

The Glyphstone
2016-02-13, 02:45 PM
Should probably ask the people over here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476885-Warhammer-40K-Tabletop-XXV-Friends-Are-Better-Than-Wraithknights

Pilum
2016-02-13, 03:39 PM
It will depend on your area, maybe even down to your individual gaming clubs. I can think of two near me alone where one looooves its Space Marines, the other is mainly historicals and Warhammer is almost a curse word for some of the members.

If you mean the health of GW, that's been speculated on for years. Many learned people have sounded the death knell for some years (admittedly on a long time scale) but they're still around. Things do seem to be changing there now, perhaps, but whether the perceived underlying trends can be reversed in time and the company returns to its former status remains to be seen.

However, as a long time mini's gamer, I would point out that rule sets come and go, but the cool models you like can last forever. I know someone (from club #2 above) who has some napoleonic models older than me still in his collection, and they've seen service on many, many different tabletops - not all of them 'traditional' napoleonic games either.

snowblizz
2016-02-13, 03:44 PM
It will depend on your area, maybe even down to your individual gaming clubs.

This.

Local preferences will determine everything. That said, there has never been so many quality competitors as currently.

brionl
2016-02-14, 08:38 AM
I'm going to DunDraCon this weekend, and this is the first time in at least a decade there's no Warhammer 40K (or Warhammer) tournaments at the convention.