PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Silverbrow

DracoKnight
2016-02-13, 08:19 PM
Here's my first draft for the Silverbrow Humans (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sypV7CyiD6QxoC6KvwSy4aWDtz9whtYP922HwKNRoNo/edit?usp=sharing) in 5e.

Right now, they feel a little underpowered...mostly because Dragonblood is a detriment for the most part.

JNAProductions
2016-02-14, 12:12 AM
Constitution and Charisma, checks out.

Cold resistance-handy, but only so much.

Yeah, they need more. A decent amount more. Maybe a breath attack? But that steps on the Dragonborn's toes.

Maybe treasure sense? I dunno. Or Persuasion Proficiency? Since silver dragons are rather diplomatic.

Princess
2016-02-14, 01:47 AM
With what they currently have, I'd say it'd be reasonable to give them the Frostbite cantrip, based on charisma, because currently they don't have enough going for them, and it fits with the cold theme. Something else could work, too, but it definitely feels like they need a small boost from what they have now.

DracoKnight
2016-02-14, 02:56 AM
Constitution and Charisma, checks out.

Cold resistance-handy, but only so much.

Yeah, not nearly as good as fire resistance, but still handy.

Yeah, they need more. A decent amount more. Maybe a breath attack? But that steps on the Dragonborn's toes.

I had thought about this, but the race has never gotten a breath weapon, and the fluff doesn't particularly support it.

Maybe treasure sense? I dunno. Or Persuasion Proficiency? Since silver dragons are rather diplomatic.

That's a possibility.

DracoKnight
2016-02-14, 03:04 AM
With what they currently have, I'd say it'd be reasonable to give them the Frostbite cantrip, based on charisma, because currently they don't have enough going for them, and it fits with the cold theme. Something else could work, too, but it definitely feels like they need a small boost from what they have now.

M'kay. I have a cold themed (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHZlJJZHpVNVhwZ2s/view?usp=sharing) version of the melee cantrips that I might give to them.

Seruvius
2016-02-14, 05:21 AM
I like it.
The general consensus seems to be that the Silverbrow is not getting enough, with the dragonblood being the clear downside, that may or may not be a major issue. Maybe also make it a possible upside. Advantage on resisting fear/charm from dragons for example?

In 3.5 Silverbrow got a bonus on disguise because :"Their ancestors’ need to guard their identities against those who feared or hated them has become second nature to silverbrow humans." Free Deception proficiency could fit the concept of hiding your true identity quite well. The proficiency on persuasion mentioned above would also sort of fit the hiding identity, while being in line with charismatic and diplomatic silver dragons in general.

SilverStud
2016-02-14, 12:20 PM
I'm thinking that since you count as a dragon for dragon-killing things, maybe you shouldn't be affected by the fear/awe presence of dragons at all. If you opt for simply advantage against it(you're still not fully a dragon), then I agree that a cold-cantrip is in order.

PotatoGolem
2016-02-14, 01:38 PM
Yeah this seems a bit weak. The stats are good for a sorcerer or bard, and the racials are decent, but it doesn't get enough to really compete. Comparing it to a half-elf, the other big contender:

Half-Elf Advantages

+1 Cha- big deal if you have an even Cha score
+1 free stat, so likely +1 dex- very useful for casters
Two skills- versatility
An extra language- mostly a ribbon, but campaign-dependant

Silverbrow advantages

+1 Con- useful for keeping concentration
Cold resistance- nice, not gamebreaking but can come in handy
Racial spells. Feather fall is super situational, so you won't use it most days. Alter self is very good, and is probably the main thing this race gets. A nice addition, but not a huge power increase

Both get a super-situational advantage on specific effects, so that's a wash. Silverbrow also have a situational weakness. On balance, half-elf seems much better optimization-wise.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-02-14, 07:20 PM
On Misicus' scale they're currently sitting at a 5.5.

ASI (3)
Darkvision (.5)
Damage Resistance (.5)
Innate Spellcasting (1)
Dragonblood (.5)

Usually, as I understand it, the guidelines are to stay between 5 and 6.5 (which is the half-elf) but races can go up as far as 8 (dwarf).
I'd say giving them another cantrip would probably bring them up to par with the existing races, OR replace thaumaturgy with your proposed cantrip.

Currently they are perfectly balanced against the tiefling, and they have even better stats for being a sorcerer.

Requiemforlust
2016-02-14, 09:20 PM
Personally I don't think you need to add anything to them. This iteration already gets more than they did in 3.5, when they were created. However, if you had to give 'em something extra, I would say maybe allow their racial spells to recharge (5-6) whenever they're cast. And they only recharge if you get that 5-6 on the first roll, you don't make it every turn. If you don't roll 5-6, you've gotta long rest.

JNAProductions
2016-02-14, 09:26 PM
Personally I don't think you need to add anything to them. This iteration already gets more than they did in 3.5, when they were created. However, if you had to give 'em something extra, I would say maybe allow their racial spells to recharge (5-6) whenever they're cast. And they only recharge if you get that 5-6 on the first roll, you don't make it every turn. If you don't roll 5-6, you've gotta long rest.

Bolded the (un)important bit. Because that? matters precisely nil. It's to be balanced against 5E races, not 3.5 races.

As for the race itself... Still feels a little weak. I'd make it universal advantage on saves versus frightened.

Requiemforlust
2016-02-14, 10:06 PM
Bolded the (un)important bit. Because that? matters precisely nil. It's to be balanced against 5E races, not 3.5 races.

As for the race itself... Still feels a little weak. I'd make it universal advantage on saves versus frightened.

I said that to point out that the OP has exhausted all of the mechanics that they got previously, so if he adds anything *new* he'll need to add a fluff reason for it.

If we're gonna say universal advantage against being frightened, I would say the OP should drop it out of dragonblood, and give them "Brave." It would look something like this, for balancing:

ASI 3
Darkvision .5
Damage Resistance .5
Innate Spellcasting 1
Dragonblood -.5
Brave .5

For a grand total of 5, which is weaker than they currently are.

Maybe a bonus hit point per level?

DracoKnight
2016-02-15, 04:59 PM
Maybe a bonus hit point per level?

I might do that.

DracoKnight
2016-02-16, 04:42 AM
Okay, the silverbrow now sit at a 6 on the Miscius' scale. :smallbiggrin:

Requiemforlust
2016-02-16, 04:45 AM
Okay, the silverbrow now sit at a 6 on the Miscius' scale. :smallbiggrin:

Bitchin'! Can't wait to see your fluff writeup/completed PDF of it :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-02-16, 05:57 AM
Bitchin'! Can't wait to see your fluff writeup/completed PDF of it :smallsmile:

I will be working on that over the next couple of days :smallsmile:

SterlingWren
2016-02-17, 06:50 PM
Holy f*ck! It's the Silverbrow! I love them!! Are you going to do the other dragon races?

DracoKnight
2016-02-17, 08:08 PM
I have written up the fluff for the Silverbrow, and I will be making the PDF over the next couple of days :smallbiggrin:

Seruvius
2016-02-18, 02:44 PM
I have written up the fluff for the Silverbrow, and I will be making the PDF over the next couple of days :smallbiggrin:

Nicely done. I think a tribe of Silverbrow will feature in my upcoming RoT campaign.

DracoKnight
2016-02-18, 04:44 PM
Nicely done. I think a tribe of Silverbrow will feature in my upcoming RoT campaign.

Fun! :smallbiggrin: Honestly, I wish that there were official 5e Silverbrow - that the Tyranny of Dragons campaign had a Player's Companion like Elemental Evil did.

Seruvius
2016-02-19, 05:01 PM
Fun! :smallbiggrin: Honestly, I wish that there were official 5e Silverbrow - that the Tyranny of Dragons campaign had a Player's Companion like Elemental Evil did.

Yeah I definitely agree with you. HotDQ felt quite rushed (issues with CR, issues with wording etc.) so it seems they had their work cut out getting everything out in time. On the other hand, OotA didn't have a player companion, which it definitely could have had. Some awesome demon/underdark themed aspects would've been quite tasty.

I just had a thought. Now that you have done the silverbrow justice, maybe try converting some of the other dragon blooded races? Deepwyrm Drow, Fireblood Dwarves, Forestlord Elves etc. I would do them myself, but I doubt I could do them justice :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2016-02-19, 05:28 PM
Yeah I definitely agree with you. HotDQ felt quite rushed (issues with CR, issues with wording etc.) so it seems they had their work cut out getting everything out in time. On the other hand, OotA didn't have a player companion, which it definitely could have had. Some awesome demon/underdark themed aspects would've been quite tasty.

I just had a thought. Now that you have done the silverbrow justice, maybe try converting some of the other dragon blooded races? Deepwyrm Drow, Fireblood Dwarves, Forestlord Elves etc. I would do them myself, but I doubt I could do them justice :smallsmile:

They're all on my list to brew :smallbiggrin:

Seruvius
2016-02-20, 09:36 AM
They're all on my list to brew :smallbiggrin:

Aaaw yisss. Having various dragonblood races coming out of the woodwork to join in the climatic final battle in RoT would be a nice bonus for the PC's to try and achieve.

DracoKnight
2016-02-22, 05:08 AM
Aaaw yisss. Having various dragonblood races coming out of the woodwork to join in the climatic final battle in RoT would be a nice bonus for the PC's to try and achieve.

See...that would have been the sh!t. Come on WotC! Why couldn't you have released those races for ToD?! WHY CAN'T WE HAVE NICE THINGS?!

Seruvius
2016-02-22, 09:52 AM
See...that would have been the sh!t. Come on WotC! Why couldn't you have released those races for ToD?! WHY CAN'T WE HAVE NICE THINGS?!

Because Crawford's favourite snack are the tears of frustrated D&D players/Dm's.

DracoKnight
2016-02-24, 08:36 PM
Because Crawford's favourite snack are the tears of frustrated D&D players/Dm's.

Crawford or Perkins? Honestly, I think that the answer's the same either way.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-02-25, 11:14 PM
Crawford or Perkins? Honestly, I think that the answer's the same either way.

Mearls. Definitely Mearls.

DracoKnight
2016-02-25, 11:40 PM

Oops. I meant Mearls - not Perkins :smalltongue:

Princess
2016-03-03, 03:43 PM

To my knowledge, Crawford and Perkins have never openly confessed to being Chaotic Evil. But we have all the information we need to know that a 3E Paladin could smite Mearls.

DracoKnight
2016-03-03, 03:54 PM
To my knowledge, Crawford and Perkins have never openly confessed to being Chaotic Evil. But we have all the information we need to know that a 3E Paladin could smite Mearls.

Lol. Truth.