PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Requesting roleplaying help for Magma-man.

SangoProduction
2016-02-13, 09:32 PM
Most basic concept: He's a man made of magma.

Slightly less basic: A grim patron called out to "Kaegan", a name the character was called before. Responding to the patron, the character and the patron fused in to a horrible magma-creature. He is now a coping pyromaniac, fighting for control, and trying to actually do good with his new powers. He is basically-humanoid aside from being made of magma.

Character details: Immune to eating/sleeping/breathing/poisons/disease/critical hits, etc. Doesn't have bodily functions. Immune to falling damage (as though that's special) - he just blobs a bit when he falls. Burrows at 120 ft / round in any terrain, though has a walking speed of a normal human. Immunity to all effects of heat (obviously), and takes half effect from any cold source. Has 360* heat-vision...how it's not negated by his own heat, idk, but let's roll with it.

Has Eldritch Blast, refluffed as fireballs. Has high dexterity and perception. Has low charisma, often being awkward, hiding in his magical hoodie after suggesting anything and saying "sorry" for the slightest thing...which...to be fair... But anyways, he is also hesitant of taking his own initiative - afraid that it's his patron and not him who's wanting the action.
Although the character was "alive" for 32 years, he's got the mental state of a 14 year old, due to incineration of his mind. Perhaps with the angst replaced with a bit of insanity. He was, however, an accomplished spelunker and investigator in his time.

Questions:
1) Just how should I be describing this character's movements? You'd normally think of magma as being kinda...well, sluggish, but he's pretty damned fast. Perhaps he's normally slow and sluggish, but when provoked, he heats up and moves in a much more fluid and flowing fashion?

2) Aside from saying "Fire good! Burn! No! Yes! No! Yes~" What sort of mannerisms should a character like this have?

3) Anything I am forgetting to ask? (His clothing makes it so he doesn't accidentally burn literally everything.)

ATHATH
2016-02-13, 09:43 PM
Is this a homebrew "race", or is it backed up by some weird combination of feats, templates, and races?

Arcanist
2016-02-13, 09:46 PM
1) Just how should I be describing this character's movements? You'd normally think of magma as being kinda...well, sluggish, but he's pretty damned fast. Perhaps he's normally slow and sluggish, but when provoked, he heats up and moves in a much more fluid and flowing fashion?

Think "Earth Elemental". You're a bit more peppy and move in short burst rather than all at the same time, sort of dragging your feet-ish. When things start getting a bit more intense, you may want to describe your movement as "rolling" rather than actually running.

2) Aside from saying "Fire good! Burn! No! Yes! No! Yes~" What sort of mannerisms should a character like this have?

As much as I am going to regret this: Try acting like a 14 year old who can melt things with his bare hands. He knows he is much more hardy and much more durable than a normal human (especially if he's been around them for a while). He might act a bit full of himself and have an aggressive personality.

3) Anything I am forgetting to ask? (His clothing makes it so he doesn't accidentally burn literally everything.)

Put him in a Moltar suit, make it fire resistant material (non-magical) and propose melting stuff as a solution early and often.

SangoProduction
2016-02-13, 09:46 PM
Is this a homebrew "race", or is it backed up by some weird combination of feats, templates, and races?

All of the above, since nothing really fit the idea of a magma-person really well on its own. Through refluffing several things, like Slow Fall ring and darkvision and such, I was able to emulate what I wanted.

SangoProduction
2016-02-13, 09:50 PM
Think "Earth Elemental". You're a bit more peppy and move in short burst rather than all at the same time, sort of dragging your feet-ish. When things start getting a bit more intense, you may want to describe your movement as "rolling" rather than actually running.

As much as I am going to regret this: Try acting like a 14 year old who can melt things with his bare hands. He knows he is much more hardy and much more durable than a normal human (especially if he's been around them for a while). He might act a bit full of himself and have an aggressive personality.

Put him in a Moltar suit, make it fire resistant material (non-magical) and propose melting stuff as a solution early and often.

oo, I can dig that.