PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a Purple Worm?

Dousedinoil
2016-02-14, 12:00 PM
Hey all,

I'm going to have a nice festival for my PCs where they are going to have a worm wrangling tournament (ripped from a podcast). However, I want them to hear legends of a purple worm that would definitely help the party win the tournament (due to its massive size). However, it is 40,000 pounds and I have no idea how they would bring it back to town. I figure they could grab an eye or something as proof but it wouldn't show how big it is. Ideas?

ThisIsZen
2016-02-14, 12:08 PM
A corpse is an object, not a creature, so you could cast shrink item on it.

the_david
2016-02-14, 12:15 PM
Except that shrink item has a 2 cubic feet/level on it.

And we really need more info. Level of the party, spellcasters so we can determine what spells we could use, etc.

Inevitability
2016-02-14, 12:15 PM
A cow (10 GP apiece) uses the stats of a bison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bison.htm). They can drag up to 7800 pounds. Simply buy six cows and slowly drag the worm to town.

Bronk
2016-02-14, 12:46 PM
They could capture it in an iron flask, but then their 'proof' would be more of a threat...

JNAProductions
2016-02-14, 01:00 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473016-Encumbrance-Reducers

Bam. I made a thread trying to build Steve? a while back. With a couple of magic items, you can carry 40,000 pounds at 31 strength.

It'll cost you 12,300 GP and one feat.

2016-02-14, 01:15 PM
It's worth mentioning that, in the thread above, OP was seeking a way to lift ridiculous amounts with low Str and Medium size; if you raise your Str or size up some steps, it gets a lot easier to lift stuff. It's also worth mentioning that in that thread, we combined items and feats from both 3.5 and PF; if you don't do that in your game, you'll have a harder time reaching that high number without increasing Str/size directly.

JNAProductions
2016-02-14, 01:16 PM
Ooh, good point. Enlarge Person will double your carrying capacity, but that wasn't an option for Steve?.

So yeah, that can replace the feat and still let you carry it at 31 Strength. Only 12,300 GP investment.

Dousedinoil
2016-02-14, 02:01 PM
Except that shrink item has a 2 cubic feet/level on it.

And we really need more info. Level of the party, spellcasters so we can determine what spells we could use, etc.

They will be level 10. They will have a cleric and a wizard of that level. They will also have a Druid cohort at level 8.

I'd rather come up with some other way (like having cows pull it) rather than costing the PCs 12,000 gold.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-14, 02:06 PM
I believe the trick is a pair of special hooks...
http://pre01.deviantart.net/cf38/th/pre/i/2010/240/c/0/dune___ride_the_sandworm_by_leywad-d1z1vt4.jpg

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-14, 02:11 PM
I believe the trick is a pair of special hooks...Those only work on brown worms, not purple ones.

IMG]http://pre01.deviantart.net/cf38/th/pre/i/2010/240/c/0/dune___ride_the_sandworm_by_leywad-d1z1vt4.jpg[/IMG]See? You even provided the evidence yourself.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-02-14, 02:13 PM
You can use baleful polymorph, and then teleport.

Dousedinoil
2016-02-14, 02:34 PM
You can use baleful polymorph, and then teleport.

Hmmm. I mean even if they have access to those spells, I doubt they will have the foresight to bring them. I doubt they sit around an entire day to refresh the spells and do it. I might resort to some kind of homebrewed pokeball that only works on worms. Even then, id like to keep the flavour of hauling this massive worm back into town.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-14, 02:44 PM
Hmmm. I mean even if they have access to those spells, I doubt they will have the foresight to bring them. I doubt they sit around an entire day to refresh the spells and do it. I might resort to some kind of homebrewed pokeball that only works on worms. Even then, id like to keep the flavour of hauling this massive worm back into town.Give them a wand of mount so they can conjure up some horses as needed. A sledge made from lashed-together trees, and they should be good.

If it's a partially charged wand, the party's monk could even use it.

Dousedinoil
2016-02-14, 02:51 PM
Give them a wand of mount so they can conjure up some horses as needed. A sledge made from lashed-together trees, and they should be good.

If it's a partially charged wand, the party's monk could even use it.

Perfect. It would be something else watching 20 horses hauling this massive worm into town when others have worms only a few feet long.

Inevitability
2016-02-14, 04:14 PM
Perfect. It would be something else watching 20 horses hauling this massive worm into town when others have worms only a few feet long.

A few scrolls of Royal Procession could do the same in a more elegant way.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-14, 04:21 PM
A few scrolls of Royal Procession could do the same in a more elegant way.Also known as regal procession.

I think the wand would be more useful afterward, though. Having a super-fast 2 hours/lvl summons on hand is always handy.

Just make sure you're summoning the right pony, else things can go very, very badly. (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/122954/hail-to-the-king)