PDA

View Full Version : Question About Damage Reduction (Its been answered)

DraPrime
2007-06-16, 10:45 PM
I'm currently playing a barbarian that already has damage reduction 5/silver. Next level he gets damage reduction 1/-. How do you combine 2 types of damage reduction? If my character was stabbed with silver would 1 damage still be blocked?

Shoyliguad
2007-06-16, 10:47 PM
You do them one at a time, so if you get stabbed with silver you only block 1 damage but say normal metal 6.

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-16, 10:48 PM
Yep, that's how it works...Although I tend to houserule that DR stacks, with the harder-to-penetrate property getting priority. (->Special and rare quality>two materials or enhancements needed>one material or enhancement needed>either of two material or enhancement needed).'

Example:3/->3/touched by Pelor itself>3/Epic and Cold iron>3/Lawful>3/silver or good.

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-16, 10:51 PM
First, allow me to point you towards the DR entry. link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#damageReduction)

Now to answer your question.

Short answer, they overlap, not stack.

Longer answer.

If you have DR 5/silver and DR 1/-, you have DR 1 vs. silver weapons, and DR 5 vs. non-silver weapons.

You could probably convince your DM to allow you to increase your silver DR by 1 instead of gaining seperate DR.

Douglas
2007-06-16, 10:53 PM
Whichever is best against any particular weapon is what you get. Any non-silver weapon gets 5 damage deducted by your DR/silver, and the DR/- is ignored because it's not as good. Any silver weapon ignores your DR/silver, making your DR/- the best you have in this case, so the damage is reduced by 1. Unless something specifically states otherwise, you only get one of them against any given single attack, so they do not combine to take 6 damage off of non-silver hits.

Neon Knight
2007-06-16, 10:54 PM
If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

Seems like Skjaldbakka is right.

EDIT: NINJA!!! NINJAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!