PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need backup character ideas

Azoth
2016-02-14, 03:17 PM
So, judging by the sour note my last session ended on, I will need to work on a backup character for the near future. I am out of creative ideas at the moment, and not looking for full builds, but ideas to build off of. Party has the primary four roles filled so I am free to design anything. We only use Paizo and DSP material, so I have a fair amount to work with.

As an aside, never reveal to your party that you have been hiding being a Black Thorn Knight from them by using optimized intimidation + Black Seraph maneuvers to avoid a TPK by slaughtering a group of Paladins that were trying to kill them...they will be very upset with you.

GreyBlack
2016-02-14, 03:21 PM
A warrior, cursed with immortality, who seeks the sweet release of death. He has thrown off the veneer of society, and now fights for the joy of the sweet adrenaline which is released by fighting.

Callin
2016-02-14, 06:17 PM
In a friends world he has Yogsothoth as a diety. I got a back up thats a Warder/Psion/Awakened Blade that worships him.

Mindblade who throws unlimited daggers.

I am having a ton of fun with a Warlord using a crossbow and Tempest Gale Maneuvers to Disarm and Dirty Trick at range using Sleight of Hand.

avr
2016-02-15, 04:12 AM
Judging by your sig & the last character you prefer dark and/or sneaky characters; is that right? I'm also guessing that having something good which you can pull out in emergencies is desirable, and that you're starting at mid-levels at least.

Perhaps someone who has stared too deep into the mortal mind and is horrified by what he has found, and now drinks heavily to wipe out the memory. A mesmerist or wilder by class, he can easily have lots of UMD and a high level scroll or two to turn a fight around when normal measures aren't enough.

A soul hunter stalker is a weird sort of psychic vampire just by the class features. You can play them as a spooky hunter/archer and still be reasonably effective without tearing up people's souls, then power through rapidly using and recovering maneuvers using soul claiming when you need to.

Randomthom
2016-02-15, 04:57 AM
How about a Paladin (Fallen) 1/Ranger X who couldn't abide by the strict rules of the code and fled the city in shame. Rather than falling yet further though, you instead opted to defend it all-the-same by protecting it's borders from the encroaching wild.

You could set it up as a dex-based archer build and use the Divine Hunter template (lose heavy armor prof but gain precise shot).

Future progression options might include one-day returning to paladin (with atonement).

GreyBlack
2016-02-15, 01:27 PM
How about a Paladin (Fallen) 1/Ranger X who couldn't abide by the strict rules of the code and fled the city in shame. Rather than falling yet further though, you instead opted to defend it all-the-same by protecting it's borders from the encroaching wild.

You could set it up as a dex-based archer build and use the Divine Hunter template (lose heavy armor prof but gain precise shot).

Future progression options might include one-day returning to paladin (with atonement).

I'll do you one better. Paladin/ranger/holy liberator. You couldn't handle the life of a Paladin, fell, and now seek to free people from oppression.

Azoth
2016-02-16, 10:32 AM
I am kind of getting a bit of an urge to build a Aasimar (not sure which sub species) Cleric8 (Madness+Trickery Domains, Channels Negative Energy)/Brutal Slayer Stalker1/Cleric+1/Battle Templar10. At lvl20 it would have 9th level Maneuvers and 9 level Cleric spells (Using Practiced Initiator (Stalker) and Magical Knack (Cleric) as traits), channel energy and Domain abilities as a level 19 Cleric. Gain access to Golden Lion by joining the tradition Descendants of the Golden Council.

Play him like Mordred from the old legends of King Arthur...or for those who have seen it, the movie Merlin staring Sam Neil. Basically, a charming young man who is an illegitimate son of some noble. Feeling jilted over his perceived slight at not being recognized by a father who doesn't know he exists, he turns to using underhanded tactics and unknown friends to attempt to acrue power enough to eventually try and challenge his father for recognition of his birthright at best or patricide and forceful succession at worst.

Any thoughts on this or ways to improve upon it? I was thinking maybe something like this for feats:

1st: Selective Channel
3rd: Power Attack
5th: Extend Spell
7th: Channel Smite
9th: Discipline Focus (Golden Lion) *Prereq
9th: Stalker Art: Combat Art: Martial Power *prereq
11th: Advanced Study
13th: Extra Readied Maneuver

I am considering Moving the Stalker level down to being the 7th level in the build and getting rid of Channel Smite. This would free up the Stalker Art for something much more useful to the build over all, and improve the flow of initiating in the build even if it cost it a little power overal by starting out with slightly lower maneuvers.

My only real issues with the build outline as I look at it are low skill points and a measly BAB of +13 at lvl 20.