PDA

View Full Version : ToD Character background and story fine tuning. Opinions?

Arkhios
2016-02-14, 04:40 PM
I'm trying to make a believable case what my character has gone through before he sets on the path that takes him to begin Tyranny of the Dragons adventure.

I managed to roll the (arguably) best or at least most interesting option for special background bond:

You have a secret. You once were a gold dragon who served Bahamut. You were too proud and vain, to the point that Bahamut decided to teach you a lesson. You have been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with your memories of your former life but a dim shadow. You remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut’s command to go into the world and prove your devotion to the cause of good. If you prove worthy, on your death you will return to his side in your true form.

As I see it, the details are a bit vague, and leave a lot for interpretation.
I came up with this idea for my character's story up until present day.

Found in the wilderness as an infant and raised by Uthgardt tribe of the Great Worm as one of their own, <name> always felt out of place within the tribe. His appearance wasn't particularly odd for the first nine years, but after he reached his 10th anniversary, he became to manifest odd physical changes. His previously light grey eyes gradually turned yellow, then eventually golden. At the same time, his body began to produce small patches of soft golden scales here and there. He tried to hide the scaly parts as best as he could, but the change in eye color was not so easily hidden. It was first thought to be bad omen, and the other tribesmembers began to scorn the boy. He lived a lonely childhood, frowned upon as if he would bring ill fate upon the tribe. Considering that the Tribe of the Great Worm generally revered a White Dragon as their ancestor-god, the changes took the child by surprise, and even fear. For years, the boy managed to hide the scales remarkably well, but when he turned 17, a few members of the tribe picked a fight with the youngling, and tore his tunic apart, revealing the secret. Once the elders were informed, and the shaman sought for guidance, he was deemed to a choice, face execution or exile. He chose exile, and left the tribe behind.
The coming years were not easy for him, but somehow he managed to survive the harsh wilds of the Spine of the World.
After a year in hermitage, the boy experienced a terrible fever, and an apparition of a great platinum dragon visited him during a vivid dream. The dragon claimed to be Bahamut, and claimed that the boy had been a gold dragon in his court on Mount Celest, but due to his pride and arrogance, Bahamut chose to teach him a lesson of humility, thus being reborn as a human. Bahamut told him his true name, Aurixisk, "Gold Star" in draconic, and revealed his task for him: prove your worth in the cause for good, and you might yet again be restored to your dragon form. Fail, and pass on into the afterlife as one of the mortals, never again be granted the former status.
Once the dream ended, the boy woke up in his own sweat, but the fever was gone. He didn't remember much about the dream, but one thing. He had been a gold dragon, Aurixisk, and he had to prove his worth to Bahamut. Afterwards, he strived to fulfill his destiny at every turn in his life. As a proof of sorts that he was on the right path, the once soft scales turned hard as steel, and he learned that he could heal minor wounds and other ailments with his touch. For a few years he lived a life in seclusion, in order to become self-sufficient, until he decided the time was right and he'd venture into the vast world, to aid and help those in need, and to fight evil in the world wherever it might stir.

In mechanic sense, while he was originally a member of a Uthgardt Tribe, his defining background ended up being Hermit.

Our DM lets us start at 2nd level, and yes, the character is a Paladin (Devotion) 1/Sorcerer (Draconic) 1.

I rolled incredible stats, and I'm currently wondering should I take either:
a) STR 18, DEX 14, CON 18, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 16
or
b) STR 18, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 18

As a variant human, stat increases are in Str and Cha, and as the bonus feat I took Resilient Constitution.
First level in Paladin, and Second in Sorcerer.
Option a) would end up with 23 HP, at start but slightly low spell DC 13, while option b) wouldn't be far behind with 21 HP, and a spell DC 14.

First Level Spells and cantrips would be of course:
Create Bonfire, Control Flames, Fire Bolt, Green-Flame Blade
+
Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, and Shield.

Opinions about the background story and whether I should start with the stat row of a) or b) ?

TundraBuccaneer
2016-02-15, 05:32 PM
That is an awesome backstory.

And about the options it depends how you want to play your character. With this multiclass you're going to have a lot of utility.
If you want more melee focused you should chose a for hp and concentration save because paladins have a lot of those.
If you want to focus on your spells you should chose b for you to hit DC and your modifier greenflame blade.
It all depends on what you want to do you if you don't know yet ask you dm if you could wait to chose between the 2 until you have played with your character so you know where you want to go.

Suteinu
2016-02-15, 06:27 PM
I'd go with option B, with the level of Sorcerer first. That would appear to come more naturally, considering his blood and his background, with the Paladin "mission" coming up later, as per your characters backstory.

Corran
2016-02-15, 06:53 PM
In mechanic sense, while he was originally a member of a Uthgardt Tribe, his defining background ended up being Hermit.

Our DM lets us start at 2nd level, and yes, the character is a Paladin (Devotion) 1/Sorcerer (Draconic) 1.

I rolled incredible stats, and I'm currently wondering should I take either:
a) STR 18, DEX 14, CON 18, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 16
or
b) STR 18, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 18

As a variant human, stat increases are in Str and Cha, and as the bonus feat I took Resilient Constitution.
First level in Paladin, and Second in Sorcerer.
Option a) would end up with 23 HP, at start but slightly low spell DC 13, while option b) wouldn't be far behind with 21 HP, and a spell DC 14.

First Level Spells and cantrips would be of course:
Create Bonfire, Control Flames, Fire Bolt, Green-Flame Blade
+
Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, and Shield.

Opinions about the background story and whether I should start with the stat row of a) or b) ?
I would go with : STR 14, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 18, and I would play sword and board. I would also start as a paladin, for the wisdom save, armor proficiencies, and better starting hit points. After the 1st level (which is paladin), I would probably look to take a feat (warcaster) as soon as possible, so I would either advance to paladin 4 (character level 4), or to sorcerer 4 (character level 5). Probably going for paladin 4 before adding sorcerer levels is the best way to do it. After paladin 4, you either advance to sorcerer 3 for metamagic and blur, or you advance to paladin 6, for aura of protection (extra attack is covered by GFB). With your charisma score, I would probably look to go straight to paladin 6, and then I would consider grabing 3 sorcerer levels. I would also stay away from resilient con in this case.

My main point is twofold: Paladorcs excel at tanking and are an option worth considering due to them having some tricks up their sleeve. And secondly, with such good rolls, you can go for dex as your primary stat, so that is an extra point.

The only drawback is that you need warcaster when you get access to the shield spell, which is why I think you need to take that ASI asap. On the other hand, you could always start as a sorcerer and get warcaster at level 1, your AC will be 1 point behind full plate, and it will get up there once you take your first ASI with which you will boost dex to 20 (from 18 with which you start). Drawback is you are 3 hp minus (and wis and con prof are interchanged, which I am not a fan of), but this way you can get more creative with your level progression.
Personally I would start as a paly, then go paly 4, then sorc 1, and then it gets complicated, as you have to see what your party needs.

Bottom line:
1) Aim for S&B
2) Thus aim for dex over str (follows from 1)
3) Thus aim for warcaster (follows from 1)
4) Avoid resilient con and sentinel (follows from 3).
5) Max your stats asap, dont waste feats on things like shield master (unless group composition compensates hard for it) - that is personal bias, but imo it holds very true.

Things to look forward to:
1) AC 21 (full plate + shield + defense, or scales + dex + shield + defense), topped with the shield spell and blur/ protection from evil. Shield of faith and bless will be your concentration spells until you get access to blur.

2) Warcatsre and BB, to make you sticky in a way (enemies suffer greatly if they move out of your reach).

3) GFB plus elemental afinity (add to that elemental weapon when you finally get it)

4) Aura of vitality plus extend metamagic

5) Quicken buffs/debuffs (eg quicken upcast hold person and smite the paralyzed sap)

6) Numerous spells slots, etc, etc.......

ps: Dont put much value to your extra attack. Given that you will be in melee and given S&B, GFB WILL BE your extra attack.

ps2: I would not recommend it in general, but if your spell slots are running low on a regular basis (assuming a 21 AC and blur active), then adding 1 or 2 warlock levels could help you greatly for extra shield spamming (and later, for armor of agathys with the higher spell slots you will have due to multiclassing).

ps3: Good luck with Cyanwrath!

Edit: Backstory looks pretty cool to me.

Arkhios
2016-02-16, 03:38 AM
I would go with : STR 14, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 18, and I would play sword and board. I would also start as a paladin, for the wisdom save, armor proficiencies, and better starting hit points. After the 1st level (which is paladin), I would probably look to take a feat (warcaster) as soon as possible, so I would either advance to paladin 4 (character level 4), or to sorcerer 4 (character level 5). Probably going for paladin 4 before adding sorcerer levels is the best way to do it. After paladin 4, you either advance to sorcerer 3 for metamagic and blur, or you advance to paladin 6, for aura of protection (extra attack is covered by GFB). With your charisma score, I would probably look to go straight to paladin 6, and then I would consider grabing 3 sorcerer levels. I would also stay away from resilient con in this case.

My main point is twofold: Paladorcs excel at tanking and are an option worth considering due to them having some tricks up their sleeve. And secondly, with such good rolls, you can go for dex as your primary stat, so that is an extra point.

The only drawback is that you need warcaster when you get access to the shield spell, which is why I think you need to take that ASI asap. On the other hand, you could always start as a sorcerer and get warcaster at level 1, your AC will be 1 point behind full plate, and it will get up there once you take your first ASI with which you will boost dex to 20 (from 18 with which you start). Drawback is you are 3 hp minus (and wis and con prof are interchanged, which I am not a fan of), but this way you can get more creative with your level progression.
Personally I would start as a paly, then go paly 4, then sorc 1, and then it gets complicated, as you have to see what your party needs.

Bottom line:
1) Aim for S&B
2) Thus aim for dex over str (follows from 1)
3) Thus aim for warcaster (follows from 1)
4) Avoid resilient con and sentinel (follows from 3).
5) Max your stats asap, dont waste feats on things like shield master (unless group composition compensates hard for it) - that is personal bias, but imo it holds very true.

Things to look forward to:
1) AC 21 (full plate + shield + defense, or scales + dex + shield + defense), topped with the shield spell and blur/ protection from evil. Shield of faith and bless will be your concentration spells until you get access to blur.

2) Warcatsre and BB, to make you sticky in a way (enemies suffer greatly if they move out of your reach).

3) GFB plus elemental afinity (add to that elemental weapon when you finally get it)

4) Aura of vitality plus extend metamagic

5) Quicken buffs/debuffs (eg quicken upcast hold person and smite the paralyzed sap)

6) Numerous spells slots, etc, etc.......

ps: Dont put much value to your extra attack. Given that you will be in melee and given S&B, GFB WILL BE your extra attack.

ps2: I would not recommend it in general, but if your spell slots are running low on a regular basis (assuming a 21 AC and blur active), then adding 1 or 2 warlock levels could help you greatly for extra shield spamming (and later, for armor of agathys with the higher spell slots you will have due to multiclassing).

ps3: Good luck with Cyanwrath!

Edit: Backstory looks pretty cool to me.

While I appreciate your thoughts, I generally don't like DEX builds for a warrior clad in anything heavier than light armor. I won't argue whether Str > Dex was better than Dex > Str, it's more of a personal preference to me. Second, I don't see a rapier would fit for someone who grew up with barbarians. While Rapier is a cool weapon, it doesn't feel right for a "rough-around-the-edges" character. (Note too, that high Charisma doesn't necessarily mean "pretty" :P)

There are a few things about the Bottom Line I'd like to point out though.
1) S&B might not be the way to go for me. But we'll see that once I get to choose Fighting Style.
2) Ok, I argue this much: Str > Dex is better for heavily armored character. It even opens up more options for a weapon to use. Even for moderately armored (heh) dex 14 is enough.
3) War Caster depends on 1, as you said it. But I doubt I'll be taking Booming Blade so it might be a waste in that regard.
4) Resilient Con was taken primarily to even out an odd value in Constitution. Though, I could probably take Heavy Armor Master instead.
5) I do intend to max out asap, but the feats I may or may not take depend a lot from my weapons of choice. Anyway, Shield Master wouldn't be included in feats anyway, let's let the fighters keep it!

I'm thinking of maybe picking up Maul instead of a one handed weapon (I have a S&B paladin in another campaign, and I would rather not make a copy of that one). As I'll want both aspects of the character from the start (paladin and sorcerer), I'll begin with 1/1. Both classes are good options to follow up, though I think I might go with at least 2nd level in Paladin, because of Divine Smite and Fighting Style (and paladin spells, of course).

Oh, and about the Fighting Style, I don't think Defense would work with Draconic Resilience anyway. As it wouldn't work with Mage Armor either I reckon. Defense style requires you to use any type of armor to get that +1 to AC, and "unarmored defenses" are not seen as armor.

What I believe you were mistaken with, is that I might require aid with the build. No, I do not. Thanks for the thought, though.
However, I've been building characters from ground up to 20th (and 30th with 4th Edition) level since 2002. A habit I can't get rid of. I think I can manage. :smallbiggrin:

Ps. unless you intended to increase strength from 14, You'd be hindering yourself with anything heavier than Chain Mail.

---

I was thinking about going first with Sorcerer. Honestly, I was. In that case I could pick War Caster at first level, but that would've left my Con or Cha at 15 or 17, depending which one would get the racial +1. And if I can avoid odd numbers in starting stats, I will. That's why I decided to get Resilient Constitution with first level in paladin. (note, that in the background when I told the scales first appeared they were soft; hardly worth called Draconic Resilience yet). In fact, I pictured that he was neither paladin nor sorcerer until he had that revelation. So technically, when he began his path for glory, he was a paladin from the start, and only later would gain the sorcerous powers.

now, IF I decided to go with Sorcerer first, paladin later, I might instead use a row of Str 18, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 16, +1 to Strength or Constitution through a feat (maybe Athlete, Durable, or Tavern brawler; Armor proficiency feat would be a waste), and get as much as 21 HP at second level (6 sorcerer, +6 paladin, +8 Con*2, +1 Draconic Resilience); Although, I'd be stuck with Medium Armor, since I won't get heavy armor proficiency from Paladin when I multi-class in it.

I admit I could've pointed out my preferences in advance; I aim for melee first, spells secondary. I might even take Elemental Adept feat, because I'll most likely focus my damaging sorcerer spells exclusively on fire. (Which is why I probably won't take Booming Blade either, unless I can't figure out anything else).

Rhaegar14
2016-02-16, 04:03 AM
I recommend Great Weapon Fighting Style for your Paladin Fighting Style. If you use a two handed weapon it'll allow you to reroll ones and twos on the extra damage from Greenflame Blade and Divine Smites (A Quickened Greenflame Smite is gonna hurt a LOT on a bonus action). Plus, you won't have to take Warcaster to cast spells with Somatic components from either class.

I wouldn't take many levels of Paladin, though, as Greenflame Blade will do more damage than Extra Attack once you get Charisma to fire damage. The cutoff points are 2 (get Smite and minimize the impact on your spell progression, plus pick up a few Paladin spells that are nice to have), 3 (get Channel Divinity for your Oath and maybe bonus spells, depending on which Oath you take), and 4 (not recommended with the stats you rolled; this makes sure you don't miss an ASI).

I recommend you take Elemental Adept (Fire) sooner rather than later, as that allows you to ignore fire resistance (though not immunity) on your spells. Fire resistance is common and most of your damage will be fire based. I don't know how I feel about Great Weapon Master, as you don't have any extra attacks, but your ability scores are great, so you'll likely have spare ASIs.

Definitely start with a level in each class. Screw optimization, both classes are essential to the character concept.

EDIT: And definitely refluff Greenflame Blade to Goldflame Blade.

Arkhios
2016-02-16, 04:21 AM
I recommend Great Weapon Fighting Style for your Paladin Fighting Style. If you use a two handed weapon it'll allow you to reroll ones and twos on the extra damage from Greenflame Blade and Divine Smites (A Quickened Greenflame Smite is gonna hurt a LOT on a bonus action). Plus, you won't have to take Warcaster to cast spells with Somatic components from either class.
That, or Defense, depending whether our group needs someone to stand a few hits more.

I wouldn't take many levels of Paladin, though, as Greenflame Blade will do more damage than Extra Attack once you get Charisma to fire damage. The cutoff points are 2 (get Smite and minimize the impact on your spell progression, plus pick up a few Paladin spells that are nice to have), 3 (get Channel Divinity for your Oath and maybe bonus spells, depending on which Oath you take), and 4 (not recommended with the stats you rolled; this makes sure you don't miss an ASI).
I'll likely get up to 6th level, though. Aura of Protection is too big to miss. And as you said, "Screw optimization", I'll most likely have a few spare ASI's anyway :)
Oath of Devotion (to Bahamut, of course), and thus Sacred Weapon once/rest is a must as well.
EDIT: I think I might go up to 9th level after all, since Elemental Weapon is too good spell to miss. And it's only in paladin's list. All in all, I think Paladin 9/Sorcerer 6 is good enough, It'll get me 3rd level spells from both classes (all great!) plus 5th level spell slots. It's less than I could have with paladin 6/sorcerer 9 (6th level slots), I know, but it's much more than a Paladin 15 would have (4th level slots).
Additionally, with access to 5th level slots, and having 6 levels in sorcerer, I'll be able to even cycle the 5th level slots for extra 5 sorcery points if needed.

I recommend you take Elemental Adept (Fire) sooner rather than later, as that allows you to ignore fire resistance (though not immunity) on your spells. Fire resistance is common and most of your damage will be fire based.
Indeed, though I'll probably use Quicken metamagic in addition to Extra Attack. GFB does deal nice additional damage, but it's only one attack. Extra Attack means more attacks, and more potential to hit. Of course, I could pick True Strike, and spam True Strike with an action and Quickened GFB with Bonus Action, each turn. :P

Definitely start with a level in each class. Screw optimization, both classes are essential to the character concept.
Right to the point.

EDIT: And definitely refluff Greenflame Blade to Goldflame Blade.
Good idea, definitely will! :P