PDA

View Full Version : Character generator for 5e

jacklindr
2016-02-14, 05:09 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before.

But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Player Character generator for 5e?

Something like Redblade, which unfortunately is only for 3.5.

Thanks

Arkhios
2016-02-14, 07:05 PM
A generator? Where's the fun with that? Besides, along with the fun, it kills the opportunity to, you know, learn why things work as they do.

PS.HeroLabs etc. are the tools of the devil. BURN!

Gwendol
2016-02-15, 08:10 AM
PathGuy has a browser-based generator. Very good for experimentation.

http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm

jacklindr
2016-02-15, 11:13 AM
A generator? Where's the fun with that? Besides, along with the fun, it kills the opportunity to, you know, learn why things work as they do.

I'm looking for one to make things easier for myself.

I've got a part-time job where I play D&D with 13-18 yera-olds (an "after school project" type of thing).... So each season I get a lot of new players and I have to make characters for them (teaching them how to do it themselves is not an option).

Using a generator like Redblade, when making 10-15 new characters, makes things a bit easier.

And thanks a lot Gwendol! I'll check it out :)

lkwpeter
2016-02-15, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the link! :)

Beleriphon
2016-02-15, 12:08 PM
http://www.orcpub.com/

Its pretty cool, works dang well.

jacklindr
2016-02-18, 12:39 AM
Its pretty cool, works dang well.

Looks very interesting! Thanks a lot!!

djreynolds
2016-02-18, 01:09 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before.

But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Player Character generator for 5e?

Something like Redblade, which unfortunately is only for 3.5.

Thanks

I have an android app "fifth edition character sheet"

Quintessence
2016-02-18, 02:05 AM

It is missing a lot of stuff... Also it is kind of hard to use imo ><

Gwendol
2016-02-18, 02:36 AM
It is missing a lot of stuff... Also it is kind of hard to use imo ><

If you've used his previous char gens it's perhaps easier, but it's not missing a lot of stuff. He hasn't added UA classes and variants introduced in the modules, but those are optional anyway.

Quintessence
2016-02-18, 03:21 AM
If you've used his previous char gens it's perhaps easier, but it's not missing a lot of stuff. He hasn't added UA classes and variants introduced in the modules, but those are optional anyway.

Oh, that is odd.. It wouldn't let me select anything except human or dwarf for race. Must just be user error then ><

Gwendol
2016-02-18, 03:53 AM
No, I just tried it again: grayed selections look odd, but are still selectable. Probably signaling some additional choices to be made (subraces, variants, etc). It seems to work fine.

Oramac
2016-02-18, 10:27 AM
I have an android app "fifth edition character sheet"

I'll second this. It works quite well and gets updated pretty regularly.

samcifer
2017-08-09, 01:24 PM
No, I just tried it again: grayed selections look odd, but are still selectable. Probably signaling some additional choices to be made (subraces, variants, etc). It seems to work fine.

Feats cannot be selected and none of the Unearthed Arcana stuff can be used. I doubt that he ever plans to update it. :(

Jama7301
2017-08-09, 01:42 PM
I use Hero Labs, with the caveat that the base version of it doesn't provide all of the information, as it only has the SRD information.

However, since you can add additional sources, I did see a community pack that includes the information from the other books, and imported it, so information is can be more complete. Having only the Acolyte background, or adding everything manually could be a pain.

The only reason I use Hero Labs, over the freely available systems is that I also use it for Shadowrun and World of Darkness, so it was a matter of convenience for me.

ZorroGames
2017-08-10, 06:04 PM

From the web page:

Thanks to everyone who has written me during the past few weeks expressing appreciation for my character generators. I am happy that I can now bring most of them back online.

I've been granted specific permission by WoTC to publish and distribute this generator. However, I've been asked to limit my "Fifth Edition" character generator to the content of the free online D&D Basic Rules. I have implemented this by disabling options that are available only in other publications. The Player's Companion (PC_EE) is also free content that supplements the basic rules, and I have enabled the races described there (deep gnomes, aarakocra, genasi, goliaths). I thought this was the right choice for everyone, as people can see everything that the "Player's Handbook" offers and will want to get a copy. "UA" is "Unearthed Arcana", also available online from Wizards.