PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Advice for cantrip choice.

Petrocorus
2016-02-14, 06:34 PM
I'm building a Knowledge Cleric for one of my players, and i would like to advice him for his choice of cantrips. But I'm still not experienced enough with this edition for making the best informed advice.
What would you advice for a lvl 2 Cleric?

Sir cryosin
2016-02-14, 06:49 PM
I'm building a Knowledge Cleric for one of my players, and i would like to advice him for his choice of cantrips. But I'm still not experienced enough with this edition for making the best informed advice.

What is his play style?

Zevox
2016-02-14, 10:44 PM
Take Sacred Flame. It's the only damaging cantrip Clerics get, and having an unlimited-use ranged spell is always good. Plus, the bonus to cantrip damage that Knowledge Clerics get at level 8 only works with that spell, since again, only damaging Cleric cantrip.

Beyond that, it's pretty much up to you, most of the rest are just minor utility that can be handy or fun at times, but aren't that important. Guidance can be useful whenever skill checks are getting made. Thaumatury and Mending provide nice utility at times. Light's usefulness depends greatly on how much of the party has Darkvision, but it can be done without even if not everyone does. Spare the Dying and Resistance are probably the least useful, since the former can be achieved with a Medicine check or healer's kit and the latter has such a short duration and requires concentration, but it's not like it's an awful waste if you take them, either (well, maybe Resistance).

CantigThimble
2016-02-14, 11:03 PM
My personal choices are:
Sacred Flame: You need to do damage somehow. Past level 5 this is just going to be better than weapon attacks unless your stats are godlike. Almost nothing resists radiant damage and there's no penalty for casting it in melee. It's never going to be the best damaging cantrip but it will ALWAYS be useful.

Thaumaturgy: In my opinion this whole line of cantrips (Prestidigitation, Druidcraft, kinda Minor Illusion too) are just essential to roleplaying. This is what it means to be a cleric. You might not do it often but when you need to remind people that you are a walking conduit of divine power while they are mere mortals you can, with this. (Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks!) The voice power has also been used tactically quite a few times for signals or intimidation. As an added bonus, not getting out of bed to close the window. :smalltongue:

Guidance: Spam this all day every day. Especially knowledge clerics. You can just have +3-6 on any skill or tool you want whenever you need it. Add assistance and a bard to the mix and you are ready for practically anything. My Cleric of Savras would never leave home without this.

I'd take either light or mending eventually depending on if you have darkvision or not. With your wisdom being as high as it is, a supply of healing spells and healing kits being an easy purchase I would never consider spare the dying.

CaptAl
2016-02-14, 11:08 PM
I'm throwing my hat in for Sacred Flame, and Guidance as well. For the exact reasons stated above. Everything else is situationally useful.