PDA

View Full Version : [IC]Princes of the Apocalypse (5E)

Pages : [1] 2

WaffleLord
2016-02-15, 01:54 AM
And so it begins...

Red Larch is a little town on the Long Road, a few days' travel north of Waterdeep and south of Yartar. It's a way station for caravans coming to or from the cities of the North, with only one inn, the Swinging Sword.

An important delegation from the city of Mirabar disappeared in the nearby Sumber Hills. The whole town is also abuzz with news and rumors of fierce raiders, roaming monsters, suspicious strangers, and unseasonable weather.

The delegation is not the only interesting thing in Red Larch lately. Adventurers. Seasoned, by the look of them. In ones and twos they arrived from the north and south. They came from different paths for different reasons, but within each, a touch of destiny.

The words were not hard to understand by themselves, but in this context, from this source, they were perplexing.
"Services needed. Diplomats missing. Contact Mangobarl in Red Larch. Save them."
You'd been contracted before. Not unusual. You've travelled the Sword Coast before. Not unusual. But you'd never been asked to play rescuer before. Not by him. Big things must be at work. Worth a look.
Captain Zolmus has dropped you off in Waterdeep with some equipment, a small amount of money, and even a magical item to start you off, with a warm thanks and the word that they can always return should things not work out. You had been in Waterdeep for almost a week when word came that the small town of Red Larch may be looking for some help. The path had been long but uneventful and you now found yourselves in a new town with many questions and few answers.
The Harpers summoned you, hopefully to explain why they had called you back from that Jawarl Avignon mess early. Instead, they had a new assignment for you. North, in Red Larch, an important delegation from Mirabar has gone missing. While their purpose was not significant, one of their members, a renowned
shield dwarf historian named Bruldenthar, was transporting his collection of manuscripts to Waterdeep. His work must not fall into the wrong hands. You are to recover them, if not Bruldenthar himself, as soon as possible. Endrith, the merchant can render what aid he can.
She was a favored knight of your order, slain in the line of duty, representing the best the Order had to offer. Fighting orcs in the Spine of the World was her duty and calling and had been her end. The knight was to be interred with honor at Summit Hall, the chapter house of an order called the Knights of Samular. It lies in the southeast Sumber Hills. However, the delegation carrying her body had vanished. Gone. She must be found and laid to rest as due her position.

You have traveled to Red Larch, the last town they had passed through. You have a contact to assist you: Imdarr, a cleric of Tempus. The Order awaits word of your success.
Word came through the woods. Your hosts excused themselves to listen to the news, huddled together, shaking their heads. After a moment, one looked up at you and spoke again to the others before approaching you.
"Please, forgive our impertinence, but we have had bad news that you may be able to help us with. A dear...ah, friend... of ours, the mmon elf Teresiel, was travelling to the Abbey of Goldenfields, not far from Red Larch, when her delegation was waylaid. They have gone missing. She had in her possession some seeds of great importance that was to be planted to form a sacred grove of significance in the region. It is dire that these seeds be found and returned. In your time with us, we have found you to be a reliable and talented hunter. Will you do this for us? Please?"

The journey to Red Larch had not taken long. Now if Haeleeya, your contact, can be found, this can be brought to conclusion quickly.
Upon the arrival of strange rumors from the Dessarin Valley, you felt Corellon urging you to abandon your studies and venture forth. Although scared about what you would find outside of your library, you didn't hesitate. Grabbing your few possessions and your favored book, you set out for the town of Red Larch. A negotiated ride along side a caravan provides some study time, and, all too quickly, you arrive in town with nothing but a certainty you belong here.

caesar193
2016-02-16, 12:16 AM
Neophytos had shrugged all those days ago when Haeleeya had come to him. Sacred seeds seemed so simply stupid, but who was he to deny her? And so he took up his bow and swords and set off to Red Larch. Perhaps he could visit his sister, Aella, who had taken up residence in Waterdeep after this task was done.

But what were all these others doing here? Was his objective sought by others as well? Were these targets of his that stood in his way? Neophytos shook his head. The woods were so much simpler than this mess humanity had made of life. But he strode into its main square.

The Swinging Sword... such a barbaric name. And no doubt the place inside was barbaric as well. Most of the inns and taverns he had come across in his time were such. But he knew not where the seeds were, and so he needed information. A bartender was a worthy font of such knowledge; and perhaps the rooms would be slightly better then sleeping under the stars.

And so he walked into the inn quietly. Dramatic entrances were for fools who knew not the value of stealth. He stalked up to the bartender, and asked if they served anything besides alcohol. "And while I have your attention," Neophytos continued, "Do you know what all these other adventurers are here for? Has some demon taken up residence in the nearby woods? Is there a vampire menace?"

dread05
2016-02-16, 05:57 AM
Too soon. The journey to Red Larch ended too soon. Absorbed in his reading, Sandor didnt really take notice of the days flying by. And now he was here. Only a moment he hesitated and then he was off the carriage. With a few quiet words he said his fairwells to the captain, picked up his baggage and moved towards the town center.

Taking a moment to look around for the local temple,he whispered a prayer to Corellon and headed for the inn. Trying to hide his anxiety, he opened the door and walked towards the innkeeper with a certainty he didn't feel. He was busy conversing with another elf. "Greetings" he said, in his soft voice, and waited for his chance to continue.

Zergrinch
2016-02-16, 09:06 AM
Zaladane, the human Mystic, strides imperiously into the merchant's store. What was it now... Endrith's Emporium, was it not? The nerve of him really, calling this little hovel an emporium. But then again, judging by the standards of the one-horse town of Red Larch, that is to be expected.

She tries hard to keep her temper in check. It's not the merchant's fault, she really shouldn't snap at the poor man. It was the Harpers, a group of do-gooders whose overall altruistic motives she couldn't really give a whit about. It was they who recalled her from the archaeological dig that was simply infested with orcs. Well, still, the emolument was substantial: the Harpers had effectively funded the majority of the academic's research when they engaged her services as an investigator for hire in the past. The perquisites are also enticing, since the knowledge-obsessed organization has almost always dispatched her to investigate matters involving old tomes and artifacts, which redounded to her scholarly benefit on several occasions.

And so it was that the crochety middle-aged lady walks into Endrith's store to gather as much information as she possibly can about the last location of Bruldenthar, a shield dwarf carrying a valuable cache of knowledge Zaladane was sent to recover.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-16, 10:26 AM
As soon as Kallista heard of the plight of her fallen sister in arms she saddled up, took the High Road to the North West followed by a couple of days of travel on the Long Road to the north. As she reached the Town of Red Larch she flew out of her Saddle and entered Red Larch with here well trained steed walking right below her as she surveyed the place. Once she spotted the All Faiths Shrine she again landed, tied her horse up next to the other horses, and entered the mansion of the gods.

She calls out expectantly to Imdarr once inside: "Hope" is here!

Fishybugs
2016-02-16, 05:20 PM
Gaelen followed his sister into town. Since leaving Waterdeep, he had taken to wearing his cloak up around his head. He had been picked on his whole life because of these horns, and he learned quickly to keep them covered to avoid attention. Not a lot of tieflings in a small town like Red Larch, and the last thing he wanted was the wrong kind of attention.

"Where should we start? Lots of people told us to come to Red Larch for work, but nobody told us who to look for." Gaelen looked toward the figure walking next to him. He trusted his sister more than anything in the world, and she would find where they needed to go.

ncpunkin
2016-02-16, 09:52 PM
Janika enters Red Larch with her brother, "I'd say we start at the Inn. With any luck work will come looking for us." She smiles to her brother, and with any luck they have ale. she thinks and turns from her brother marching into the Swinging Swords. What a catchy name. Her mind wonders.

Once inside she notices men already talking to the Innkeeper. She walks to the other side of the room and sits with her back against the wall, "I'll have an ale. She says loud and clear.

She makes eye contact with Gaelen, then with the innkeep,"Please." Once he joined her she would laugh, "I'm working on my attitude."

WaffleLord
2016-02-17, 04:41 AM
A fortyish woman with a soiled apron returns your gaze. "Wal, if ye not want the hard, ye can haf some teas. Either elthlas or brightleaf 'll do ya fine. Need a bigger sting and we haf some buckthorn from the Heartlands." She pauses at your second line of questions. "Ooo demons and vampires? Nothin' so obvious as all that, but I tell ya there's something goings on. Fell magics, I hear. Bolts of lightnin' flyin up from the hills, not down." She glances at another elf that has entered the inn. "Unholy fogs that linga' in the hills of Sumber. Hot breezes from the cool west. Even me townsfolk are gettin' clammy. Losin' their friendlys and shuttin' down. Not su'prised to see more of ya types. Wouldn't mind a few more, ya know. Pardon." She steps away towards a table of tieflings with a pair of mugs.

"Greetings," comes a soft voice from beside you, the other elf that had entered while Kaylessa the innkeeper had spoken.

As you approach the innkeeper behind the bar, a closer perspective shows it to be a woman, fortyish and short haired. She speaks to a elf, dressed ruggedly, a woodsman by the look of him. Snippets of her talk reach your ears. "...fogs...hot breezes...clammy...shuttin' down...ya types." She passes behind the bar, moving off with drinks for another table as your greeting goes unnoticed by her. However, the elf at the bar turns at your word. He, too, appears to be of the woodland variety.

At your shouted request, the innkeeper leaves her elves at the bar and comes with mugs in hand. "Here ya go. Hope the Starling Stout is fine. Been out of tha Brozebottom for a while. Don't make it near as much as they should. Be needin' a bite or just a splash?" she asks while wiping her hands on a already soiled apron.

The Emporium, aside from a profusion of barrels, old furniture, old tools, and rotting doors, seems to be a personal residence. The rooms are crammed to the rafters with new wares and old items of all sorts. A small man comes scuttling out from the back, pushing along a small halfling child. "Move along, move along. Come back when you've more." The child grins at you, proud of something, and dashes out the door. The little man looks at you and begins to inquire, "How may I be of..." until he catches a glance at your Harper's emblem. "Mmmmm. I was wondering when I might see one of you. Please attend, attend." He gestures you back to a stool and counter set up in a back corner. "Things have made a strange turn lately. The children say the hills are not safe. Strange birds and men in stone masks scare them from their berry pickings. Weather has not been as it should. Conditions change at a moment's notice. That delegation, strong and numbered, vanished. But this might interest you." He reaches behind the counter to a small chest, latched closed. Opening it, he retrieves and sets before you a sturdy, leather bound book. Fanning through its pages, you see it is written in beautifully illuminated dwarvish. "Bought this from a peddler who came through town not three days past. He claims a keelboat skipper in Womford came to find a dozen of so of them." A quick glance at the inside cover shows Bruldenthar's rune carved into the leather.

A tall, stern man in robes of Tempus turns at your call. His strides takes him to you quickly. "Thank you," he intones, saluting in the way of the Order. "Our fallen must be retrieved for proper burial. Little new information has been found about town, but newcomers are arriving every day with new chances to lead us to our goal. The portents point to something larger. The storms bode ill. Fell winds blow. We are here for you should you need aid. Good luck to you, good Knight." He curtly steps away to return to his altar, his business deeply engrossing.

dread05
2016-02-17, 05:17 AM
Sandor glanced briefly at the tieflings. Good. More are coming. Corellon had ensured him this would happen. It wasn't chance that all these strangers were gathering here. Sandor didnt really believe in chance after all. All those years of studying had lead him to believe that everything happened for a reason. If adventurers were gathering at Red Larch, that meant he was at the right path. The thought made him relax a bit.

A little more confident now, he focused his gaze on the elf infront of him. There was no reason for procrastination. These people were here for the same reasons as he, and the sooner he was done with the awkward formalities the better. "Hello kinsman. What brings you here?"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-17, 11:15 AM
Retrieved she shall be, and the storm shall be quelled! I'm sure a visit to the Singing Sword will provide with the insights I need, or at least a proper bed. She subsequently steps out of the temple-complex and with a few steps more she enters the Singing Sword, looking around for non-local looking humanoids.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-17, 11:42 AM
As Kallista enters the Inn Kallista scans it's occupants with her Divine Senses.

Fishybugs
2016-02-17, 12:46 PM
Gaelen smiles and shakes his head at his sister's words. "I know you think you're funny. You do need the practice. Being nice doesn't hurt anything. At least...be nice first, then we can change tactics if we need to."

He turns to the innkeeper and asks, "Do you have a strong cider?" He looks around and takes in the collection of people in the main room, then turns back to the bartender, "Busy night?"

Estralita
2016-02-17, 03:00 PM
Jane stood off to the side, hood up, and nursing her cider. Although she wasn't a full drow, Jane's charcoal skin and blonde hair made her heritage obvious. She preferred to learn a bit about others before revealing herself, and seeing who in particular needed to be enlightened. She certainly wasn't expecting so many tielfings to gather as well as her. Interesting.

Jane grasped the cheap crystal she attached to her belt, and filled it with light to calm herself before approaching the elf and tieflings. "I would also like to know." Jane said quietly.

caesar193
2016-02-17, 04:04 PM
Neophytos half turned towards the voice that spoke to him, one hand instinctively reaching down to prevent theft of his belongings. Another wood elf? Hmm...

"Business," Neophytos said, a bit curtly before making a mental note to check that. A bit more friendly, he continued. "I'm looking for a Haeleeya; you wouldn't happen to know where I could find her?"

dread05
2016-02-17, 04:33 PM
With the edge of his eyes Sandor notices the half-drow for the first time. He can't manage to stifle his frown. Was this a test from Corellon? What was a drow doing here?

To the elf infront of him he said "No I'm sorry. I dont know her. I just arrived in this town myself. Is she a friend of yours? Is she also an elf? Is she in danger?"

ncpunkin
2016-02-17, 08:24 PM
Janika (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=711018)

Janika's smile widens, "I guess you're right little brother." She would look up at the tender, "Yes Miss, Stout'll do. Thank you, I'll take a plate of whatever is being served." She looks at her brother with a raised eyebrow and smiles again, "Good?" Her stomach growls moments after she finishes her snide comment forcing her to blush. She pulls her hood up as her brother starts talking. Janika sits back and scans the inn to take in everyone present.

[roll0]

Zergrinch
2016-02-17, 11:30 PM
Zaladane studies the tome, but it is exceedingly clear that this was part of the lost knowledge the Harpers sent her to retrieve.

Interesting, most interesting. Womford you say? Might you be able to describe this peddler to me? Also, how much did you pay for this? I may be able to reimburse you on behalf of the Harpers, assuming I still have sufficient funds.

caesar193
2016-02-18, 12:09 AM
Neophytos shrugged. "Shame. Don't know her, first time her for me as well. I was told she'd give me some info. And yeah, pretty sure she's an elf."

He looked around for the bartender, wondering if she was around to get some of that brightleaf.

"But what about you? What brings you to Red Larch?"

WaffleLord
2016-02-18, 01:16 AM
You gaze about the room with the eyes of truth, but spot none who do not belong in this realm nor any past their time.

"Comin' right up, luv. It's a bit on the tangy side, but it'll wet'cha. Busy? Nah. We've had it better, tho it's a thirsty crowd. Had a couple groups in from the road. Lots a new faces, some old. Brother Eardon over there's a regular. He's by every tenday or so. Pardon." She hurries off to get your drink and check on patrons.

There seems to be quite a collection of travelers. No one stands out qith what limited view you are given as Kaylessa keeps wiping the table in your way.

"The peddler? Grimy Dave it was. He said he acquired it from fat Shoalar, a boatsman over in Womsford. Says he's got quite a few of them. I got this for 25 gold, which I will fairly charge you in return, Harpers br blessed."

dread05
2016-02-18, 01:58 AM
No one is in danger. What was I thinking? After all this brooding, Sandor had half expected for trouble to jump at him the very moment he set his feet at this town. He dropped the alarmed expression that had crept on his face and smiled at the other elf. "I wish you luck finding her. As for me, I'm Sandor. I've been send here from the church of Corellon to investigate all these strange rumors."At a lighter tone,and while looking around for the innkeeper, he continued "I was thinking of having some wine, I feel tired from my journey. Would you care to join?"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-18, 11:41 AM
Seeing all the clearly out of place types including two other Tieflings, a higher than usual abundance of elves and even one (half-)Drow Kallista walks up to the barkeep and asks: What is the occasion for this highly unusual clientele composition tonight?

Estralita
2016-02-18, 03:26 PM
Well, no one was openly cursing her. That was good. In response to the question, Jane replied; "What sort of rumors?I am looking for information about some diplomats who have recently gone missing.

Fishybugs
2016-02-18, 08:48 PM
Gaelen nods his head as the barkeep talks and thanks him before he walks off. He notes the presence of another tiefling as well as the drow, but keeps his eyes averted under his hood. "You know I'm usually the last to point out people based on their looks....but there is quite a diverse crowd for such as small place. We're not the only ones here looking for work, I'll wager. We should find a contract before the good ones are gone."

WaffleLord
2016-02-19, 12:58 AM
Kaylessa wipes her hands on her already soiled spron. "Don't much know. Strange things ha been happenin outside town. Weird weather, fell magics. lightning goin' up not down. Mayhap all's lookin' into things. Pardon," and she rushes back to the kitchen to fetch some dishes.

Zergrinch
2016-02-19, 02:00 AM
Zaladane opens her pouch only to realize with dismay that she's a bit short of 25 gold coins.

"Well." she finally says after counting and recounting the coin. "Well. It seems like I don't quite have 25 gold. I do have a healing potion. Could we facilitate a trade - this book plus 25 gold, for a vial of healing potion normally worth 50 gold?"

ncpunkin
2016-02-19, 01:47 PM
Janika nods as she just sits back, "There are indeed a vary of armed patrons here tonight." She would watch Kaylessa speak with the other Tiefling, "I think we should stick with our own, if we can."

Janika would wait until Kallista was turning around, and then she gestures to her, "A word?" She mouths. Her eyes go to her Brother and when Kallista arrives, "Hi, Sit." Janika smiles and leans forward pushing out a chair, "I couldn't help, but notice your heritage." She would give a moment and continue, "Are you on business here?"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-19, 05:25 PM
Kallista accepts the sedentary offer with a smile in return and places herself on the designated spot. Many of us here in this establishment seem to have quite unique origins. She looks around glancing a bit at the wood elves and a bit more at the half-drow. I was sent here on a quest to find a missing delegation, but I sense I'm needed here for more than just that. What brings you here?

Fishybugs
2016-02-20, 12:27 AM
Gaelan looks at Kallista, but doesn't say anything. Eventually he realizes he's staring and diverts his eyes, glances at his sister, then looks to the ground again. She's beautiful, he thinks to himself. The wings on her....wow.

While Janika speaks with Kallista,, Gaelen looks everywhere around the room, but pointedly not at the other tiefling.

WaffleLord
2016-02-20, 02:19 AM
A splash of avarice flits across the shopkeeper's face quickly before he rubs his chin and says, "Hmmm. That's mighty steep. I do wish to help the Harpers in any way I can but...hmmm perhaps the potion for the book and 15 gold?" As soon as he stops talking, the look in your eye makes him quickly continue, "but why quibble when our land is in need. 25 pieces will be fine." He fishes the coins out of a second hidden drawer behind the counter and takes the potion with barely controlled excitement. "Before you continue your quest, do you see anything else that might aid you?" he says as he gestures around his cluttered inventory of used and battered items.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-20, 05:29 AM
Insight check to notice whether Gaelen was ogling her "wings": [roll0]

Estralita
2016-02-20, 12:49 PM
Jane's eyes widen slightly at the winged tiefling's remark, though she knew she really shouldn't be surprised. "I've been contacted about that as well. Unfortunately, i wasn't told much more than that, so I'm here to gather information."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-20, 03:48 PM
Kallista turns her head towards the half-drow. "Perhaps we should join forces then; I'm sure those who sent you had their reasons to pick you but please enlighten me further if you please."

Estralita
2016-02-20, 09:30 PM
Jane smiled softly at the Tiefling's choice of words. "I'm an explorer by nature; looking to uncover dark secrets and mysteries. And sometimes people contact me anonymously to uncover one or the other. This was one of those times. The only real information I have is a name. Mangobarl." Jane raised an eyebrow delicately. "I don't suppose that would be you."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-21, 03:29 AM
Raising an eyebrow in return: "Mangobarl? Which fruit gave his child such a name? At least the locals will probably know where to find to find him with such a name, if he lives around these parts at least. In any case, if you wish to be under my wing, so to speak, your welcome."

caesar193
2016-02-21, 10:20 AM
Neophytos simply nods to Sandor's request. Perhaps this place would have a decent store of alcohol. He doubted it, if only because that was his default state, but still it was worthy a try. He looked around for the bartender and, if he sees her, gestures for her to come over."My name is Neophytos," he said. "Perhaps tomorrow we could help each other out in our respective endeavors? Searching for Haeleeya, my contact, would at the very least give you a general overview of what sort of place you must investigate."

ncpunkin
2016-02-21, 10:55 AM
Janika notices her brother's stare and then the sequence of events that transpired, "I guess that makes us a crew." She'd smile at her brother and raises her hand, "Tender a round of drinks instead." Janika was less interested in the details and more interested in getting to the bottom of a few pints of stout.

She looks at her brother and winks, a new crew. Janika sits back to let everyone talk, "Was there any reward for this good deed?" She says after a couple minutes.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-21, 01:53 PM
Kallista has a few drinks with together with her new somewhat exotic crew. "I'd like to say that every good deed is its own reward, but my guess is there will certainly be a monetary reward if we find the missing delegates in time. Otherwise, or in addition, a fair share of whatever goods we're able to confiscate from those who dare to cross our path in a bellicose manner will prove more than sufficient." After another sip Kallista continues: "Also, if you by accident ever find yourself on the wrong side of the law around Waterdeep, just mention my name..."

Estralita
2016-02-21, 02:27 PM
Jane cocked her head. "And that name would be?"

Fishybugs
2016-02-21, 03:02 PM
Once the drinks arrive, Gaelen lifts his glass and proclaims, "To the crew! A new voyage of adventure." He takes a big gulp, thinks for a moment, then asks, "Soooo, what exactly are we doing?"

dread05
2016-02-21, 03:41 PM
"I will gladly help you find Haeleeya. Working together will indeed hasten both our causes. Now, let us take a seat while we wait..." Sandor moves towards the tables and deliberately chooses a table close to the group of tieflings, always keeping one watchful eye on the half-drow.

While beconing for the innkeeper's notice, he can't fail to notice the tieflings mentioning the missing delegates, one of the many rumors that had reached the temple. Everything happens for a reason he repeats to himself.

caesar193
2016-02-21, 05:03 PM
Neophytos followed Sandor to the table, noting their proximity to the tiefling and half-drow. He mentally shrugged. After they sat, Neophytos asked "So, what is the church's interest in Red Larch and its happening? Such a place as this does not seem as if such a large organization would care all that much of its happenings."

dread05
2016-02-21, 05:37 PM
Sandor's gaze blazes. There is no doubt in his voice, as if he is speaking with divine authority; "The events transpiring here have unsettled Corellon himself. I am here on his behalf". Sandor takes a long breath. Why had he said that? he didn't mean to be that revealing. Was that another message from Corellon? "I'm sorry if I scared you. I dont know what came over me". I really need that wine right now...

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-21, 07:22 PM
"The name given to me by my parents is Kallista, I can't say I can complain. You may however also call me "Hope" if you wish." Turning to Galen: "Now our main priority is probably to figure out where this delegation was last seen, and perhaps gets some more information on the other weird things which seem to be happening around here as they might be connected."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-21, 07:25 PM
Insight check: [roll0]

As Kallista notices the glances of the elves towards Jane she calls out: "Hey emisarry of Correlon, no need to judge a book by its color. This one just happens to be mostly in black and white. Why don't you join us and tell us why Correlon has ordained you to drink wine in this particular bar?"

caesar193
2016-02-21, 07:56 PM
Neophytos raised an eyebrow at Sandor's... whatever it was, before turning to the loud half-drow sitting beside them. "I can't speak for him, but I have come in search of someone. Do you know of an elf named Haeleeya in these parts, or are you as new here as both he and myself are?"

Changed after previous post came in while typing:

After Sandor's... whatever it was, Neophytos raised an eyebrow. "Is this something that happens to worshipers of Corellon, or is it just you?" Neophytos asked. "I must confess myself as not a very religious person."

dread05
2016-02-22, 02:02 AM
Sandor was silent. The presence of the half-drow baffled him. He was well aware of the curse that lay upon the drow, as all disciples of Corellon did. But the half-drow? Were they subject to the curse? Was the tiefling right? Was he judging the book by the cover? He had many favored books back at the library, with their covers all stained and torn. He had to ponder upon that.

[roll0]

Added the phrase "Were they subject to the curse" to make my religion check more obvious.

Estralita
2016-02-22, 02:38 AM
Jane smiled tightly, before focusing back on Hope. "It is nice to meet you Hope. My name is Jane Nightbreeze. Funny how we all seem to be sent to look for different people."

ncpunkin
2016-02-22, 02:53 PM
Janika drinks heartily, but handles herself like a pro. She would cheer with Gaelen's announcement of a new crew and down her drink, before asking for a third.

"My name is Janika and fair terms are good enough terms for me."

The tiefling was already raising her hand for another stout moments after finishing the sentence,

"Please, another for myself." Janika looks over to Gaelen, [I]"You got a room worked out right?"

Fishybugs
2016-02-22, 03:14 PM
Gaelen looks over to his sister, and opens his mouth to speak, "..." He thinks a moment, then closes his mouth. (Infernal)"I'll get on that." He walks back over to the bar and addresses the innkeeper, "How much for two rooms for the night?"

WaffleLord
2016-02-23, 02:06 AM
"Ay yes. Would ya want the 'sleep cheap, upstairs, sharin' with some others or the luxury suites downstairs? 2 silver or 8 silver, take yer pick. There's room in both. Pardon." Kaylessa excuses herself to run another drink over to the bottomless tiefling.

Zergrinch
2016-02-23, 02:32 AM
"That will be all, thank you," Zaladane says huffily as she sweeps out of the "Emporium".

There's a lead, but it's getting far too late to pursue the matter. Plus, there is the matter of needing to imbibe in victuals. The middle-aged woman espies a dingy tavern, 'The Swinging Sword'. "That will have to do," Zaladane reluctantly admits to herself, as she pushes the door open and enters the room.

WaffleLord
2016-02-26, 12:50 AM
A strange feeling of trouble washes over you, but a quick perusal of the room reveals nothing. Your eyes are drawn to middle-aged woman pushing her way through the door. No seeming harm there though there is obviously more to her than the eyes perceive. A jolt shakes the floor of the Inn. A bottle and glass hit the table but naught else gets upset. Kaylessa gives a nervous titter, but continues about her tasks. A second jolt a moment later arouses squeals and yelps from other patrons, but the biggest ruckus comes from the hallway leading to the rear of the Inn. Screams echo down the passage, "The horses!! They want the horses!!"

Zaladane - [roll0]
Jane - [roll1]
Gaelen - [roll2]
Janika - [roll3]
Kallista - [roll4]
Neophytos - [roll5]
Sandor - [roll6]
Something - [roll7]

Sooooo pretty much YOU, then THEM.

We'll use group initiative so don't wait if you're ready. Go for it!

Zergrinch
2016-02-26, 02:41 AM
"What on Earth was that?" yelped Zaladane as the quake hits.

After the screams about horses, the Mystic's eyes widen in shock. Is her beloved pony in danger? She quickly ducks out the door to go to the back via the outside, readying herself for battle.

Go back outside, and move towards the back.
Activate Third Eye discipline - Zaladane now has blindsight 30.
Ready attack: Thought Spear against anything hostile that strays into her line of sight.
Thought Spear: DC14 Intelligence save to avoid taking [roll0] psychic damage. Range of 120 feet.

dread05
2016-02-26, 03:06 AM
Lost in his inner thinking, Sandor didnt notice the early signs of the assult. Only when the screams came, did he realise that something was wrong. To Neophytos he says, "Hurry, we must help" while under his breath he starts mumbling a prayer to Corellon: [Elvish]: " Corellon, by your grace grant us your blessing". Seeing a woman running outside, he rushes to her aid.

Cast Bless on myself, Neophytos and Zaladane and then follow her.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-26, 03:16 AM
Kallista is also immediately on her feet and rushes towards towards the action, shield and sword in hand.

"Follow me mateys, the tab can wait!"

caesar193
2016-02-26, 11:03 AM
Neophytos rolled his eyes at Sandor's comment. Luckily, the freshly made chaos covered it well enough. He stood and slipped his hood over his head, letting himself disappear into the tavern. His bow found its way into his hand, and he rushed out the front door. It seemed the commotion was in the stables, and he had little desire to be caught in a bottleneck.

So he went out the front door, quickly circling the inn as quickly as he could, following the sounds of the disturbance. Chaos... he mused to himself in his head. It was Nature's way. Each beast of the forest had its own code; the Wolf obeyed the laws of the pack, the Hare the litter, but no beast follows another's code. Chaos is the result, a chaos built of order. Humanity tried to maintain its laws and order, but parts of it sought to fight against that, against the natural way. This was wrong, this was unnatural and must be dealt with. The machine must work to build chaos and should not be torn down.

And so Neophytos snuck around the tavern to deal with the latest threat.

First roll of the game! Stealth check to sneak around the tavern to the stables. I don't want to be seen either by Sandor (I don't want him thinking I'm running away) or by whoever's taking the horses. I get advantage due to my Cloak of Elvenkind, yes? So my rolls:

[roll0]

Fishybugs
2016-02-26, 12:00 PM
Gaelen's eyes glisten with joy when the disturbance begins. Gaelen looks to Janika and says, "See? It didn't take long for us to find something exciting." He turns to the bartender, "What's the quickest way to the stables?" he asks. After receiving an answer, he pulls his cloak tightly around himself and heads that way, urging his sister to follow. He points one finger at her as they walk, and thinks to her, You get their attention and I'll shoot 'em? Gaelen pulls his crossbow out and readies it as he quickly walks toward the commotion.

Cast message. Also I meant to mention something but didn't. You'll see I only have two sorcery points marked on my sheet. That's because Gaelen casts Mage Armor every morning and uses one point on extended spell so he only has to cast if once per day. Since I didn't mention it, if you want to rule I don't have it for this combat I'm okay with that, but then I'd like my sorcery point back. :smallsmile:

ncpunkin
2016-02-26, 06:51 PM
Janika looks distraught at her pint and then up at Gaelen, "I have a better plan. First, I finish my drink." She would tip the cup back gulping the rest, "Then, I help." She hammers the cup down, gets up and walks the quickest distant to the stables. She looks at Gaelen, [I]"Don't miss." Janika walks herself inside the stable's entrance and looks around. Her hands reaching for her short sword and dagger.

[roll0]

WaffleLord
2016-02-27, 12:19 AM
Those that rush around the outside see the L-shaped stable in a back clearing lined by trees. Gaelen and Janika, heading out the back door following Kaylessa's pointing finger, run into a frightened stablehand. He clings to them, screaming "Help them please! They'll be eaten!" When the stables come fully into view, from fifty feet away, you can see the far left wall partially collapsed and two large creatures working on opening a greater hole. The beasts have the look of giant insects: segmented bodies, huge front preying claws, and mandibles like twin scimitars. A ragged edged hole ten feet away speaks of where the creatures came from. They continue poking their heads into the breech to the squeals of panicked horses.

You pad silently around the side of the building, keeping to shadows and sliding around mostly unnoticed. The middle-aged woman turns once in your direction but continues hurrying.
You hurry around the building, followed by several others, including a sneaky elf keeping to the shadows.
These giant insects are ankhegs. More info when I'm closer to my Monster Manual.
It takes moves and dashes for both groups:to get outside and around the building or fight your way passed a clingy stableman. However, the 'beasts' pay you no mind as they pursue their horsey meals. After Jane posts, they'll ignore you and you'll have your turn.

Zergrinch
2016-02-27, 08:02 AM
Zaladane looks with a small degree of bewilderment at the sheer amount of "concerned bystanders" now rushing towards the stables, but says nothing. This was not exactly unwelcome -- there is strength in numbers, and the Mystic is pretty sure one of the strangers has just cast a buffing spell on her.

Nevertheless, her concern for the safety of her steed spurs her on towards the stables.

If movement brings Zaladane to visual range, she's taking that shot (Thought Spear, range 120 feet). If not, then continue dashing.

Fishybugs
2016-02-27, 11:28 AM
As they walk out the back, Gaelen smiles to himself at the event prompting his sister to warn him not to miss. He thinks back to her with the remnants of the message spell, That was one time...and if I do miss, I'll try and get you a nice new piercing."

As they round the corner and see the monstrosities, Gaelen brings his light crossbow up and fires at it. Good gods, that's ugly, he thinks to himself. I hate bugs.

Won't be on much today. Lots to do, so wanted to get my move in. Just put it in the order wherever appropriate.

Crossbow: [roll0] for [roll1] damage and [roll2] if it crits.

Estralita
2016-02-27, 01:10 PM
Jane silently followed the others to investigate the disturbance. When she saw the monsters she raised an eyebrow. Were they related to the disappearance, or were they just some sort of random encounter? Either way, she couldn't just let them eat the horses, so she launched a burst of burning light at the things.

Sacred Flame go!
[roll0]

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-27, 02:00 PM
Kallista rushes forward to seal the breach. I'll hold the line!"

Crunchy bits: Move towards a position at which allows only one of the Monsters to take a 5 ft step into the hole in the wall, blocking off the other one, essentially creating a bottleneck where only one of the Ankhegs can attack me at a time (unless they make the whole even bigger). Fly over the stableman if need be. Cast shield of faith as a bonus action. Slap the Ankheg with a scepter (staff) if he comes within reach (attack of opportunity because of polearm master).

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

caesar193
2016-02-27, 04:21 PM
Perhaps Neophytos had misjudged the situation earlier. It was not humanity rebelling against order, it was Nature creating chaos. He was almost tempted to walk away, but he supposed that doing so would result in bad publicity. The mission was more important the individual's needs. And besides, this group of adventurers would no doubt cause the beasts much pain, pain they were not worthy of. And so he broke his stealth, took up his bow, and fired, aiming for the ankheg that seemed the most wounded

Longbow Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

And because if one of them is all ready wounded, that one is my target. And I'll get an extra 1d8 damage against it.

[roll2]

ncpunkin
2016-02-27, 05:43 PM
Janika laughs at his thoughts, pulls her blades free and rushes towards the bugs trying to get in. She starts stabbing with her dagger and short sword at them both. Janika allows Kallista in front as she rushes in to take up a defensive stance, "O good you have it covered then? I'll be going back to my drink." Janika shifts away from the hole in the wall in a flash, [Infernal]"Gaelen, maybe we should go around and flank?"

Ankheg #1 - Short Sword
Attack - [roll0]
Hit - [roll1]
Crit -

Ankheg #2 - Dagger
Attack - [roll2]
Hit - [roll3]
Crit -
Fancy Footwork - I can make an attack and get away without invoking an AoO.

dread05
2016-02-28, 04:24 AM
Sandor was just behind Zaladane the moment he saw the two giant insects. After asserting the situation for a couple of seconds, he gathers some arcane fire on to his fingers, and hurls it towards the one nearest to him.

Casting fire bolt to the closest ankheg. 1d20+6 + from bless. On a hit I do [roll]1d10+4 fire damage. Also a reminder to Neophytos and Zaladane, you can add 1d4 to your attack rolls and saving throws as long as you are blessed by me. edit : I rolled a d10 instead of d20 for the attack roll hence the error message, I rerolled again in the OOC thread.

WaffleLord
2016-02-29, 03:02 AM
Stables
A flurry of activity greets the two beasts as the party swings into action. The two groups burst onto the scene from two fronts: the side way and the doorway. Zaladane's range gives her first advantage. She pauses in her movement and an invisible spear of flies unerringly to the closest creature. It recoils as it punched in the head. Its small triangular head swivels around and finds many new pieces of meat coming closer.

But this will be no easy meal. A crossbow bolt flies from the the male horned one imbeding itself in the creature's midbody followed closely by an arrow from the elf-smelling one. The winged one comes rushing closer while the female horned stings with blurred blades and distracts it from an easy bite. Flames begin to appear but are sidestepped, nasty fire, until a bolt from the other smelly elf splashes fire all over it.

Dribbling liquid life and missing a legs, the creature chitters loudly and moves after close prey. A staff lashes out to stick in its eye, but still it tries to clamp down on the offending meal. All it receives for its efforts is a shield against its mandible

Alerted by the chittering sound the second creature moves to engage the threat finding meat nearby but out of its mouth's range, it flexes its sacs and splashes a jet of acid towards the tasty morsel. The speed of its intended meal means only a little acid actually connects with it target.

Aroused by the stomping, fire, and, neighing panicked horses, a third triangular head rises out of the hole in the ground.

Ankheg 1 moves and gets Kallist'a AoO.
Bite vs Kallista AC (23) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1] plus [roll2] acid damage.

Ankheg 2 moves
spits acid at Janika
Dex save vs DC 13 - [roll3]
Damage - [roll4] on hit or half on miss. Oooooooo
Recharge - [roll5]

Ankheg 3 rears its ugly head.

YOU ARE UP!

dread05
2016-02-29, 03:37 AM
A good hit. Fire seems to do the trick against these creatures.. Sandor made a mental note on that and was ready to fire his next bolt, when he noticed the second bug moving towards Kallista. We must not let them overwhelm us! he thought, as a blue-almost-white aura gathered around his hand. An instant later a beam of the same blue-white light stroke towards the head of the second creature.

Sandor casts the ray of frost cantrip. [roll0] + [roll1] from bless, for [roll2] cold damage, and its speed is reduced by 10 until the end of my next turn.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-02-29, 03:38 AM
Not expecting the creature in front of her to survive the barrage of projectiles coming from behind her Kallista readies herself further for the coming onslaught. She raises her scepter into the air and it begins to glow with radiant energy.

I assume the bug in front of me will fall rapidly and that the next bug will then take its place trying to chew me up. In that case it gets hit with a glowing stick (Imbued with Sacred weapon).

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Zergrinch
2016-02-29, 10:34 AM
Zaladane once again uses her mental attack to utterly devastate the insect's mind, before quickly ducking behind a wall out of range of the creatures' acid attacks.

If Ankheg 2 == dead, target Ankehg 1
DC 14 INT save: [roll0] or take [roll1] psychic damage. Misses only on 19 or 20.
Please don't be a 19 or 20.
Move to R6.

Fishybugs
2016-02-29, 12:58 PM
Gaelen follows his sister to her new position. He chuckles as he remembers his sister's warning. Incoming, he thinks to himself. He takes aim at the creature and fires the crossbow.

Crossbow attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage and [roll2] if it crits

ncpunkin
2016-02-29, 01:37 PM
Janika raises her hand crossbow and fires off a bolt as she stands in line with Gaelen, "I see it." She holsters the crossbow and readies her dagger and short sword. Then, takes a defensive stance in front of Gaelen, "Let them come."

Target = Gaelen's Target.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Estralita
2016-02-29, 11:36 PM
"Hmm..." She needed to think carefully. After examining the battlefield, Jane edged to the side, trying to get as many as possible in range of her flames, before blasting once again.

Sacred Flame again, arranged so I could hit any one of them if I choose. Gotta have options. I guess this time Bug one. Save DC is 15

Damage: [roll0]

caesar193
2016-03-01, 11:08 PM
Neophytos sighed, and shot at a wounded ankheg.

Shot: [roll0]
Since its wounded: [roll2]
Bless: [roll3]

WaffleLord
2016-03-03, 02:29 AM
Stables
The lead creature, broken and oozing foul ichor, lunges towards Kallista, surprising the paladin. However, not so much that her scepter does not come down and cave-in the triangular head of the huge bug. It flops to the ground, legs twitching, but the other two look to their meal with clenching mandibles. The chilled one with iced up legs creaks its way towards the paladin to take a tasty bite of tiefling. The paladin fends of the clashing jaws with the edge of her shield.

Meanwhile, the latest bug to crawl from the hole continues to climb up the wall of the stable and across the roof towards the other group of hostile food. Clattering across, it leaps of the edge and skitters towards the ranger eager for a taste of elf.

Ankheg 1 move and bite
vs Kallista AC(23) - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Ankheg 3 move and dash over the roof.

YOUR TURN

Zergrinch
2016-03-03, 03:16 AM
Zaladane reaches out and attempts to crush what little mind the closest insect has, before retreating towards a conveniently-placed ladder and clambering to the roof for a better vantage point.

Thought Spear: DC14 INT save [roll0] or take [roll1] psychic damage.
Move: Climbing up a roof, yo. Applicable Athletics checks if required:
1: [roll2]
2: [roll3]
3: [roll4]
4: [roll5]
5: [roll6]

dread05
2016-03-03, 03:49 AM
Sandor sees the third creature jumping from the roof. "Another one! Neophytos hold your distance! I will try to slow it down." Another frigid beam jumps from Sandor's hand towards the creature's legs, while he also relocates to a safer distance.

ray of frost cantrip to the bug moving towards us [roll0] plus [roll1] from bless, for [roll2] cold damage, and slow -10 feet if it hits

Sandor moves his speed 35 feet backwards, to a place where he has visual contact with both his allies and his enemies.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-03, 11:43 AM
While pummelling the oversized cockroach Kallista shouts: Kill the other bug first! Don't worry about me!

Attack 1: Attack: [roll0], damage: [roll1]
Attack 2: Attack: [roll2], damage: [roll3]

Fishybugs
2016-03-03, 11:47 AM
Gaelen sees the exotic, beautiful tiefling being attacked by the second bug and takes aims at that one.

[roll0] for [roll1] damage and [roll2] for crit if applicable

WaffleLord
2016-03-04, 01:43 AM
Stables
Zaladane reaches out with her mind a flick the advancing bug in the brain before scurrying up the 20 foot ladder to the slanted roof.

The cleric throws a ray of frost, hitting the creature's legs, lowing its advance as it joints ice over.

Kallista makes the beast pay for invading her personal space. But it is merely an appetizer for the main course she serves as a second blow. A snap is heard as the bug's carapace cracks down its length.
The beast's AC is lowered by 1.

Gaelen distracted by the fair one's seeming peril loosens a crossbow bolt wide of it's mark.

Ready for Jane, Janika, and Neophytos.

Estralita
2016-03-04, 02:30 AM
Jane frowned as her flames missed their mark, and attacked again.

Sacred Flame once more! DC is still 14
Damage: [roll0]

caesar193
2016-03-04, 09:40 AM
"Take care of the other ones! I can handle this one!" Neoohytos yelled, before taking out another arrow. He slowly walked backward, aiming his arrow, and shooting at the ankheg, before backing until he was far enough away from the ankheg that he could get another shot in before the ankheg reached him.

Attacking and then moving. Gonna move far enough away from the ankheg so it can't reach me in a turn. Assuming it doesn't charge or anything. Anyway, got some rolls to make.

Attack: [roll0]
If it's damaged: [roll2]
Bless extra damage: [roll3]

ncpunkin
2016-03-04, 11:44 AM
Janika rushes forward seeing an opening as the bug lunges for Kallista. She swings her short sword towards the bug's midsection. Then, attempts to drive her dagger into the crack in the carapace. She kicks off of the creature and steps back in front of Gaelen.

Shortsword
Hit: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

Dagger
Attack: [roll3]
Hit: [roll4]
Crit: [roll5]

Moving to I-13 and then back again

Fishybugs
2016-03-04, 01:36 PM
Shortsword
Hit: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

Dagger
Attack: [roll3]
Hit: [roll4]
Crit: [roll5]

Moving to I-13 and then back again

Luna's rolls seem to be bleeding over into this game.

WaffleLord
2016-03-05, 02:26 AM
Stables

Fire spills down upon the creature nearest Jane, scorching the slowed insect. It feebly makes its way closer to her, its creaking frozen leg dragging behind. It casts a look at the fleeing ranger and cleric but focuses on the closer half-drow, liking the familiar smell. As it closes in, it spits a stream of acid at the warlock. Such close range gives the warlock little time to dodge the spray. The searing liquid splashes over her causing blisters on her skin and great pain.

The second beastie, tiring of Kallista's hard shell, turns its attention to the blur of blades that came bouncing of its damaged carapace moments ago. Seeing two tasty meats, it also spits acid, hoping to soften up these treats. However, with keeping a compound eye on the crunchy paladin, its aim is not what it should be and most splashes on the wall of the inn, causing acrid smoke and charring of the wood.

Ankheg 1 spits acid at the siblings Dex DC 13
Janika save - [roll0]
Gaelen save - [roll1]
Damage - [roll2] or half on a successful save.

Ankheg 3 moves forward 20 ft.
10 ft from Jane
25 ft. from Neophytos
30 ft from Sandor
Spits acid at Jane, Dex DC 13
Jane save - [roll3]
Damage - [roll4] or half on a successful save.

YOUR TURN!!

dread05
2016-03-05, 03:18 AM
The half drow had been hit! Sandor hesitated for a moment and then prayed to Corellon for healing. If he could not decide, his god would decide for him.

healing word for [roll0] targeting Jane

It worked! If Corellon chooses to aid this half drow, who am I to judge?

Focusing on the ahkheg infront of him, Sandor hurled another firebolt.

[roll1] plus [roll2] from bless for [roll3] fire damage

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-05, 04:11 AM
Trying to get the full and undivided attention of the terror-bug in front of her Kallista continues to further crack open its shell.

Attack 1: [roll0] , [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2] , [roll3]

Zergrinch
2016-03-05, 11:03 AM
Zaladane reluctantly admits to herself that her half-formed plan of going to the roof sounded better when it was a plan in her mind, and not when she's executing it. True enough, the mystic has a better vantage point and is less likely to be attacked, but it is also equally true that the joints in her lower back creaked a little while she was ascending the ladder, and she is probably going to need one heck of a massage before long.

Still, there's work to be done, minds of horse-eating miscreants to be crushed.

In the interest of prudence, Zaladane edges as close to the roof's edge as she dares, and drops prone to present a more-or-less invisible profile especially to those below her.

Drop prone; crawl to Q7
Target Ankheg #3 with Thought Spear. It must succeed on DC14 INT save [roll0] or take [roll1] psychic damage.

I am going to make an argument beneficial to myself. I'm going to argue that someone who is prone, up on a roof, should have very good cover against any potential ranged attacks that might come their way. That is, if they can even be seen to be targeted :smalltongue:

Fishybugs
2016-03-05, 01:17 PM
Gaelen looks quizzically at his light crossbow, Really, he thinks to himself, you're better used as firewood than as a weapon. He slaps the crossbow back into his harness and approaches one of the monstrosities. Gaelen draws in energy from his surroundings, reaches toward the bug, and a purple-blue bolt bolt of electricity arcs from him into the creature.

Item interaction: Stow crossbow. Move to L9. Cast shocking grasp.
Attack roll: [roll0] for [roll1] damage and additional [roll2] for crit if applicable.

ncpunkin
2016-03-05, 03:04 PM
Janika sheathes her dagger, unsheathes her rapier, swaps hands quickly and moves behind Gaelen, [Infernal]"That's it brother, fry it." She drives the long thin blade towards a crack in the bug's natural armor, "Die, you disgusting vermin." Janika follows up viciously with her short sword just trying to make a dent.

Rapier/Sneak
Hit: [roll1] + [roll2]
Crit: [roll3]

Shortsword
Attack: [roll4]
Hit: [roll5]
Crit: [roll6]

caesar193
2016-03-06, 07:52 PM
Neophytos considered the nearest ankheg. It stood near the stranger, and was doing its best to devour her. Which left him with one of two choices. He could either attempt to shoot it, maybe killing it and ending its threat. Or, option two, he could make the drow no longer a possible target. He considered the possibility of pulling water out of the ground to make a cloud of fog, but ant's relied more on their sense of smell, the lack of sight would simply send it all the faster to the food it could smell. Therefore...

He dropped his bow, letting it slid from his hands, before pulling out his swords. This is what the wolf felt like before it leaped upon a deer, no doubt, the thrill of the hunt. And so he began to walk, then run, picking up speed before he was at a full sprint, before leaping, his swords raised, ready to stab down.

Is there something like a charge in 5e? If there isn't, then I should still be able to reach the ankheg with my normal movement. Moving to M6 and whacking the ankheg with my swords.

Bless: [roll2]
Colossus Slayer: [roll3]

Estralita
2016-03-08, 10:58 PM
"Ack!".
Jane jumped back as the spider's acid burned her skin. As she tried to get a hold on herself, she felt a soft healing surge lessening the pain. Jane turned and to her surprise it was the elf who helped her. "Thanks." she said softly, before turning back to the spider who attacked her and shooting one more time at the spider, hoping to finish it off.

Third time's the charm? Please?

[roll0]

WaffleLord
2016-03-09, 12:41 AM
Stables
Finding nothing but pain for its troubles, the wounded bug seeks to grab a last bite before retreating. Even with its pea-sized brain, it knows that Kallista's shell is too tough to crack. Instead, it turns towards the softest looking tasty it can see. Mmm. Armorless tiefling. Moving quickly, it tries to kick at Kallista as it moves and snaps at Gaelen.

Move towards Gaelen.
Op Attack by Kallista- [roll0], Damage - [roll1]
Bite attack vs Gaelen AC(15) - [roll2]
Damage - [roll3] plus [roll4] acid damage.
If it succeeds, it will try to carry G away,
drawing OpAttack from Janika - [roll5], Damage - [roll6]

caesar193
2016-03-09, 01:45 AM
Neophytos sheathed his swords calmly, and then pulled out his bow once more. There was one ankheg left, and even if there was someone under it, he still felt confident he could take it down. It looked very wounded, a shot into its skull would very easily take it down.

And so he nocked and arrow, and let it fly at the ankheg.

Nothing fancy here, pretty sure as long as I hit its dead.
CS: [roll2]
Bless: [roll3]

dread05
2016-03-09, 01:58 AM
Good, this one is dead. Sandor barely managed to finish his thought, when he sees the other creature grabing the male tiefling with its mandibles. That one must die even faster!. Decicevly he runs towards the beast, small bright lights apearing in his hand as he run. Upon reaching a manageble distance, three small darts of pure energy shot from his hand, each hitting his target in turn.

Sandor casts lvl 1 spell magic missiles at the ahnkheg, dealing [roll0] force damage.

Zergrinch
2016-03-09, 02:38 AM
"Drop him," the prone academic forces into the pitiful excuse of a mind of the fleeing ankheg.

DC 14 Intelligence save [roll0] or creature takes [roll1] psychic damage.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-09, 03:26 AM
Kallista flies in to finish the job in order to save the delicious tiefling.

If the creature creature is not yet put down by the barrage of spells and arrows smack him down some more:
Attack 1: [roll0] , [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2] , [roll3]

If he's allready out for the the count catch Gaelen as he falls out of the mandibles of the ankheg and "gently touch him" (lay on hands for 10).

WaffleLord
2016-03-10, 01:05 AM
Stables
As the monster tries to climb the wall, a barrage of missiles, both mundane and magical, strike the creature. Fissure form were there were cracks and its life's fluid gushes from its body, collapsing to the ground. The freefalling clerichas a moment of uncertainty until the strong arms of Kallista encircle him and lower him to the ground of wings of mercy. As the area becomes quiet once more, two horses bound from the stable, vault the creatures' hole and flee the scene.

Estralita
2016-03-10, 01:51 AM
Jane groaned as her light failed to singe the monsters again, and turned to chase after the escaped horses.

Should I roll an acrobatics check/

caesar193
2016-03-10, 02:03 AM
Neophytos smirked as Estralita went after the horses. She wasn't likely to catch them, their flight was fueled by fear. No, if he had to, he's track them down and bring them back later on. So he instead surveyed the scene and strode towards the ankhegs and pulled out his arrows to see if they were still useable. Then he starts examining their corpses before dragging one off towards the woods.

"Such beats hail from Nature, they must be honored and returned to it in death" he explained. He wasn't about to bury the corpse, no, he sought to feed the creatures of the wood.

Nature check to see if there's anything on the ankhegs that I could loot. Is there acid spit salvageable and useful for any period of time? Do they have some kind of natural poison I can harvest to tip my arrows with? Things like that. If there is, once I finish dragging the corpses out into the woods and out of the eye of judging so with, I'll harvest it.

[roll0]

dread05
2016-03-10, 03:15 AM
Sandor inhaled deep to relax himself. This was his first battle, and he had survived it! He thanked Corellon silently and walked towards the others. Raising his voice he asked: "Is everyone ok? Does anyone have wounds that require immediate attention??"

If one person is injured Mordai is willing to cast cure wounds to him. If everyone requires healing, he will cast a prayer of healing. If you think you can manage with hit dice, I'm happy to preserve me spell slots :D

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-10, 09:05 AM
Kallista gently puts Gaelen on the ground next to his sister, and flies off to the front of the Tavern where her own horse was still standing and proceeds lead him to the hole in the Stables in order to give proper chase to the escaped horses if those can still be seen.

ncpunkin
2016-03-10, 09:19 AM
Janika laughs as Gaelen is set down, "Well that ended quickly." Her eyes look over Gaelen, "Any chance we will get a free night out of this?" She nods to Sandor, "I'm fine, thank you cleric."

Janika doesn't dally and is soon back in the Inn, "We saved the horses, but they ran off." Janika waves away concern, "They'll be back, once the others catch them, but I'd really love a drink after all that fighting."

Free Drink?
[roll0]

Zergrinch
2016-03-10, 09:53 AM
Zaladane is in no position to pursue the horses, although she hopes against hope that the escapee wasn't hers.

Carefully making her way down to the ground, the Mystic watches the ranger with interest.

"Scavenging for usable parts? I heard ankheg carapace can be fashioned into non-metallic plate mail (http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Ankheg_Plate_Mail)."

The mystic brings her hand against the nearest dead ankheg, and concentrates hard on it. Will she be able to glean anything from the psionic residue on the creature?

Use Psionic Investigation feature. I am, of course, making an assumption that you will (hopefully) accept a dead creature as an "object". :smallbiggrin:

At 3rd level, you can focus your mind to read the psionic imprint left on an object. If you hold an object and concentrate on it for 10 minutes (as if concentrating on a psionic discipline), you learn a few basic facts about it.

You gain a mental image from the object’s point of view, showing the last creature to hold the object, regardless of how long ago it was last handled.
You also learn of any events that have occurred within 20 feet of the object within the past 24 hours.
The events you perceive unfold from the object’s perspective. You see and hear such events as if you were there, but can’t use other senses.

Additionally, you can embed an intangible psionic sensor within the object. For the next 24 hours, you can use an action to learn the object’s location relative to you (its distance and direction) and to look at the object’s surroundings from its point of view as if you were there. This perception lasts until the start of your next turn.

caesar193
2016-03-10, 10:09 AM
Neophytos briefly chuckled at Zaladane's comment. "Perhaps then we should just harvest it and make a quick buck, eh? Think anyone around here would buy Ankheg Plate?"

Zergrinch
2016-03-10, 10:41 AM
"You would sell special armor as light as studded leather but as strong as full-plate?" Zaladane looks at the Wood Elf with a fair degree of incredulity. Obviously, one should not generalize, but the Mystic knows from her studies that Elves rarely care for coin, thus prompting her reaction.

Fishybugs
2016-03-10, 01:12 PM
Gaelen opens his eyes just in time to see Kallista fly off. "Was that an angel? he asks groggily. As he begins to focus, he sees the face of his sister looking over him, and hears her voice echoing, something about free nights. What? As his vision clears he starts to stand and make his way back to the inn, checking his arm and chest to see how badly the acid ate away at him. That's gonna hurt, he thinks to himself.

Gaelen knows there is a flurry of movement going on around him, but makes his way back inside and slumps into the closest chair to the door.

WaffleLord
2016-03-11, 01:56 AM
Jane and Kallista
Charging after the horses you catch sight of them running down across two town paths and into a field. they siddle up next to another pair of horses waiting on the inside o fht epen. They are breathing heavily but are comforted by the presence of other horses. The paladin rides up on her own horse nad, between the two of you, are able to lead the horses back to the front of the inn to tie up.
No acrobatic checks necessary. In fact, thanks to the other horses and the paladin's as well, no Animal Handling to bring them back to the front of the Inn.
Neophytos
After bantering with the psychic, you root around, elbows deep in viscera, looking for something useful. You entertain the ideas of the woman who is now, eyes closed, resting her hands on the creatures head. The carapace of this one is intact and could be harvested with care and time. Just below the neck, you find agland that contains about two vials worth of the beast's acid. A careful hand might remove that for use elsewhere. Its mandibles, while fearsome looking, are nothing without the power of the beast behind them.
We'll call it Survival (like a hunter skining a kill)
Carapace (enough to try making the mythical armor) - DC 17
Acid, two vials, 1d8 splash damage, not suitable for weapons - DC 12
Mandibles (trophies?) - DC 8
Zaladane
Resting your hands atop the creature's smashed form, you focus not on the inner mind, that you previously ravaged in your attacks, but instead you focus on the psychic reverberations that resonate within the creature's body itself. Visions, barely controlled, come to your mind's eye. Racing backwards through the creature's last day, you see miles of dirt splash by, endless tunneling, two separate cows, devoured killed surprised in odd reversal. An underground burrow, really no more than a widened area, Trailing backwards, the scene begins to fade as you reach back to the limits of psychic residue. A last view of a mass grave the beast smelled and plowed through. A dwarf and some humans, dressed in formal wear are visible before the creature backs out to the surface. Before a blinding flash of the sun, you notice some low hills and, in the distance, a slender old tower circled by birds.

Janika and Gaelen
As the sibling flop down into chairs, Kaylessa comes hurrying over from where she had been tending the shaken stable hands. "Aw me stars! Never thot it'd been happnin' so close! Ya her time and agin the craz'ness that be happnin' out in the lans, but ya neva think it get'cha here." She continues her ramble as she draws you two cold frosty and drops them by your table before hurrying own the hall to see what happened outside.

Zergrinch
2016-03-11, 02:14 AM
"Interesting," Zaladane murmurs. "I am seeing through this creature's vantage point. Tunnelling... cows... more tunnels. What's this... a mass grave? A dwarf... Humans, formally dressed. Where is this... low hills and a tower encircled by birds.... Too late tonight, will investigate on the morrow."

"What say you, ranger? Are you up to the task of skinning these creatures? I may be able to aid you on the best theories on proper skinning."

Nature check: [roll0] to give Neophytos advantage on his Survival check to skin the Ankhegs.

dread05
2016-03-11, 03:50 AM
As nobody seemed in immediate need of his healing, Sandor shifted his attention to Jane. He aproached her awkwardly and bowed to her. "I must apologize for my rudeness. The hatred for Lolth and her chosen run deep withing our priesthood, yet it seems that Corellon embraced you when I prayed for his protection. If he so chooses you as an ally, so will I. I am Sandor.". he extended his hand in friendship and waited.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-11, 02:03 PM
As Kallista enters the bar again is looks a bit a bit flushed from all the action but she nonetheless settles herself again next to the Tieflings for a free drink. As Kaylessa passes by she jokes: "Well, I think you at least owe us free stabling and a room for the night. "

caesar193
2016-03-12, 03:06 AM
"Should be," Neophytos said simply, rolling up his sleeves and pulling out a dagger. He let Zaladane drone on about the proper techniques of scavenging off of ankhegs, nodding and agreeing and saying "Go on" where it seemed appropriate. He took his time to carefully pull out the acid after removing the plate; it was best to get it out of the way when carrying such a painful concoction.

Rolling my survival checks. Let's see how badly I screwed things up, eh?

Gathering the Plate: [roll0], [roll1]
Harvesting the Acid: [roll2]
And Mandibles: [roll3]

His hands slick with blood, Neophytos' knife slipped during a particularly... fragile part. The carapace snapped in half, and Neophytos swore quietly. Still, though he might not get the carapace, the mandibles and the acid proved easy enough to get.

Zergrinch
2016-03-12, 03:29 AM
Zaladane winces as the ranger botches the job. If you wanted something done right, she thinks to herself, you've got to do it yourself!

The problem, of course, is the academic has no practical experience, and theory is completely different from practice.

That doesn't stop the stubborn spinster from trying, this time with an entirely different ankheg corpse!

Survival: [roll0]

Estralita
2016-03-12, 05:35 PM
Jane gave a slightly hard smile. "Thank you for the healing. I appreciate it. And I am no follower of Loloth. I'm not even full-drow."

Fishybugs
2016-03-12, 06:10 PM
Gaelen sees Kallista enter and sit next to them. "Thank you for your help. I'd buy you a drink, but it seems they're free..." Now that his head has cleared he looks around and notices many of the others have not yet returned. "Are the others doing okay?"

He looks at his sister downing her fourth drink. Fifth drink? He sighs to himself. Not long until I should be able to carry her to her room, he thinks to himself.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-12, 06:32 PM
Kalista jokes: "I think they are trying to have some more intimate relationship with the bug corpses out there, but physically they are all well."

ncpunkin
2016-03-12, 09:30 PM
Janika cheers no one at her brother's comment of free drinks. Janika puts her mug down and becomes engaged, "I'm sure their doing great without us. Hope was it? I'm also known as Greed, in certain circles." She would pat Gaelan on the shoulder, "Thank you for saving my brother, but before the attack you mentioned weird things going on. What did you mean?"

Fishybugs
2016-03-12, 11:42 PM
Gaelen looks away and quietly says, "I had it all under control. I was doing fine."

caesar193
2016-03-13, 01:17 AM
Neophytos rolled his eyes at Zaladane after she botched it too. "So, what should I call you?" he asked, moving on to the last ankheg. "And what brings you to this town?"

Survival to Get Carapace: [roll0]

Zergrinch
2016-03-13, 05:26 AM
Zaladane was unable to apply theory into practice, and she knows it. In fact, she is pretty sure the ranger knows it as well. Much to her relief, he allows her to keep a verisimilitude of dignity when he ignores that fact.

Still, she watches him like a hawk as he moves on to a third ankheg. Much to her astonishment, he was able to accomplish the admittedly tricky feat without any need for advice or guidance.

Most impressive. It is quite refreshing to find someone who actually learns from their mistakes. I do not believe I have made your acquaintance. I am Zaladane, faculty of the College of Arts, at the University of Silverymoon. I am here for... research. And how about you... Sir?

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-13, 12:19 PM
"Well Greed, at least your motives are out in the open. Might have been different if you'd have called yourself Innocent."

Kallista downs one first before going on. Aah... I guess I deserved that one...

So, apart from my own specific mission, which involves retrieving the body of fallen fellow knight, the cleric of Tempus at the all-faiths shrine was talking the usual doom and gloom. Fell winds blowing, storms boding ill and portents pointing to something larger. Nothing I can't handle though, especially as it seems I'll be having quite a bit of backup.

WaffleLord
2016-03-16, 11:09 PM
Inside the Inn, things are beginning to return to normal. Lookie-loos and other rubber-neckers are coming back to their tables. Kaylessa comes trotting back in, mollified but ready to resume business. "Oof, me stars! Tha horses are safe but it'll be takin some work ta patch er up. Thanks be to your help, brave 'uns. Shoulda' been much worse if ya not be there. Ah course," she adds, nodding to the paladin, "ya all be sleepin' upstairs tonight. But not 'till I pass all one more libation." She scuttles off and quickly returns with cool drinks, wine, and hot tea. As she passes out the drinks, "I coulda not help but hear ya had a mess'a plans to do before tha beastie kicked up. Ana thing I can do ta help ya? Where ya goin'?

Outside
The ranger's impromptu surgery to remove the valuable items from the ankheg's corpse is successful. He comes away with two vials of ankheg acid, a lovely pair of mandibles, and its carapace that, while not terribly heavily, 30 pounds, is somewhat awkward to carry. Three of the pieces stack nicely but the other two from the thorax are so curved, they would need to be carried separately. The sooner these are moved to storage or changed to a more portable form, the better.

dread05
2016-03-17, 02:07 AM
After what seemed another awkward silence, Sandor nods at Jane again. "Let us head back inside the inn, I could use some more wine after this."

Inside the inn Sandor approaches the Tieflings. "Bravely faught! I'm Sandor.". Turning to Kallista he askes, "Excuse my questioning but I heard you shout the name of Lathander. Are you here on behalf of his temple?"

Zergrinch
2016-03-17, 05:01 AM
"Magnificent, isn't it? You did a wonderful job, Neophytus!" Zaladane gushes to the elf, who had totally introduced himself as Neophytus. It's a rather curious name, of course - why would an elf willingly call himself a neophyte? It's far more likely that this is his "child name", which puts him under a hundred years old, since this is usually when wood elves would take an "adult name".

The middle-aged academic assists in carrying two curved armored plates from the thorax, and triumphantly strides into the tavern.

Espying the lady dwarf, Zaladane beckons to her and asks, "I know the day is late, but would you know where I might find a blacksmith who could fashion protective equipment from this shell?"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-17, 05:12 AM
Kalista turns the the elven priest, smiles and anwswers: "Well met Sandor! I would not say that I'm here on behalf of the temple of Lathander, but I am here in his name. The Order of the Guantlet sent me here post-haste on a mission to find a missing delegation. I'm sure you must also have your reasons for coming to this place at this time, right?"

dread05
2016-03-17, 05:29 AM
In Lathander's name indeed! As I am in Corellon's. It seems like the whole pantheon is disturbed. To Kallista he replied: "Not on a specific mission, no. The clerichood of Corellon has send me here to investigate. From what I've deduced, the missing delegation you are looking for is but a fraction of the events transpiring here. It would seem wise to work together." Looking at the siblings and the mystic approaching the tables, he added "All of us."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-17, 12:02 PM
That would be a wise decision; strength in numbers. You´d all be welcome under my wing, or more accurately, behind me if need be. I'm however more than happy to follow anybody with a good idea.

As Kalista is given one more libation she asks then asks Kaylessa:

Have you heard of any recent suspicious happenings here within Red Larch, or could you think of something which caused these bugs to start foraging here, or is that actually a common occurrence?

ncpunkin
2016-03-17, 04:39 PM
Janika eyes the bottle of wine, and when it is finished being poured she takes it as her glass. "Is it wrong to value freedom?" She asks Kalista. She glances over at Sandor and raises her bottle, "Well as long as it pays well, I'm your girl." She smiles and tips the bottle back for a moment. I hope this is the right investment, Gaelan. She thinks and watches the others with drunken interest.

caesar193
2016-03-17, 11:29 PM
Neophytos follows Zaladane in. He had no interest in the money, so he let her take care of the business. The acid though... It might prove useful. He had quietly pocketed it before they had entered the tavern. Perhaps he could tie it to an arrow so it would shatter on the target...? But that was a thought for later.

He nodded at Sandor's suggestion, and looked at Janika with a barely raised eyebrow. Money... Humans cared so much for trivial things.

"If money's an issue, then I'm sure I'll get paid for my job."

Estralita
2016-03-17, 11:45 PM
Jane nodded slowly at the suggestion of teaming up. It wasn't her usual MO, but given the sheer number of people who had been called to the town, this seemed like something big. Eilistraee give me guidance, Jane prayed briefly, as the others began started the questioning.

WaffleLord
2016-03-18, 01:57 AM
Placing down another round, Kaylessa says to Zaladane, "Ooo... eee... Tantur be tha onlt 'round here that makes weapons'n such. He'd be open in the mornin'. Rarely a day, he don't keep the shop with his kidns."

Turning to serve the paladin, she responds, "There bin a messa troubled things. There's something goings on. Fell magics, I hear. Bolts of lightnin' flyin up from the hills, not down. Unholy fogs that linga' in the hills of Sumber. Hot breezes from the cool west. Not suprizin' them bugs come in this far in. Crazy times been bringin' crazy things. All tha land's feelin' it. It's not right." Her last comment is not much more than sad whisper. "Pardon," she says as she rushes away for more drinks.

WaffleLord
2016-03-21, 03:07 AM
Kaylessa comes back quickly and continues on as if nothing had happened while she was gone. "Even tha little ones bin noticin'. Jerga, Mona's darter, came crying back from berry pickin' sayin' she's bein' harassed by bird men. Not tha crazy flyin' knights over at Feathergale Spire tower either, real half man-half bird things. Scared 'er half ta the grave. Pardon." Again, she totters off.

A human woman comes dashing into the Inn, looking frantically about the room. She is dressed ina well-made but sensible working dress. Her eyes fall on Neophytos and she move with reserves speed to his side. "A word, fair elf?" she asks, smelling of bath soaps and incense.

Unresolved 'things' so far.
Jane: Mangobarl, your contact is yet uncontacted.

Gaelan and Janika: You asked if anyone was new in town. Brother Eardon is.

Zaladane: Endrith said Bruldenthar's book was found by Shoalar in Womsford. You had a startling vision of a mass grave near a tower in the hills.

Kallista: Imdarr was useless, but you have found companions also searching for the missing party.

Neophytos: Haeleeya, your contact, has appeared.

Sandor: Corellon has brought you to this odd group, though his logic is unclear.

Zergrinch
2016-03-21, 05:18 AM
The adrenaline slowly draining from Zaladane's system, the Mystic takes out the book sold to her by the shopkeeper and concentrates on it. If she is lucky, she might be able to catch snippets of the book's travails before it reached her hands. It's entirely possible she finds nothing of import, especially if the book was in the shop for over a day, but with luck, she might be able to see who this "Grimy Dave" was.

Use Psionic Investigation on the book. Actually, I should have done that at the Emporium, but I didn't think about it at the time.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-21, 09:57 AM
"Is it wrong to value freedom?" She asks Kalista. She glances over at Sandor and raises her bottle, "Well as long as it pays well, I'm your girl.".

Nothing wrong with greed as a motivator for doing something that needs to be done. Force applied in the right direction can equally well serve as a vector for good. Other self-righteous short-sighted bigoted pompous bastards might tell you otherwise, but you know, just ignore them...

ncpunkin
2016-03-21, 07:51 PM
Janika

Janika scratches her horn with the rim of the bottle, "I like you. You understand things in the long term." She would bring up her bottle for yet another toast, "To ignoring self-righteous short-sighted bigoted pompous bastards." Janika tilts back to drink the final bit of wine. She sighs and looks up at the bottle, "We're out of wine." Her head swam in alcohol, but she could feel herself raising her hand for another bottle.

Fishybugs
2016-03-21, 08:20 PM
Gaelen

"I'll get you some more, Nika, hold on." Gaelen goes up to the bar and asks Kaylessa for a moderately watered down bottle of wine to supply to his sister. He pours himself a small glass and hands the rest to Janika. Gaelen sits again and listens keeps an eye moving around the inn until they decide to turn in for the night. He smiles to himself and thinks, Which will probably be when Kaylessa runs out of wine...

caesar193
2016-03-21, 10:45 PM
Neophytos nodded once at the woman, before finishing his tea slowly, with care. It wasn't that the tea was especially good- he'd known better- it was that it was still tea, and deserved some respect. He wasn't some barbarian to gulp it down, no.

And besides, it was still hot.

Afterward, he excused himself from the table and stood. "Let's talk outside," he said to the woman, and stalked out the back door without another word. When he reached a suitably open and empty place- that is, a suitably open and empty place vacant of ankheg blood- he turned to the woman and said. "My name is Neophytos, but you all ready know this. Am I right in thinking your Haeleeya?" he said. "And if you are, tell me all."

WaffleLord
2016-03-23, 02:39 AM
The taint of dwarf is heavy upon the book. No amount of time would remove that. Whispers and fleeting glimpses of a roughly shaven human with red hair are barely visible after traveling back through the vision of sitting in Endrith's chest.

She follows you outside. "Indeed, fair elf, I am Haeleeya. My contact told me to watch for you. Forgive my lateness but my business does let me rule my time. However, my dress shop and bathhouse give me a unique position to collect more gossip than any barkeep in the town. Many pieces have come to me with dire portents. Maegla's boys were scared away from berry hunting in the Sumber Hills by bird people. Elena Greenboot's husband Larmon found new graves buried out there as well. Brother Eardon says the caravan left Beliard but never made it here. That means they never made it out of the Sumber Hills. Whether waylaid or killed, the seeds must be there. But beware, there has been very strange weather occurring in those parts." She glances back towards her shop. "I must be back soon. Is there any question I can answer?"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-23, 04:34 AM
Janika
"To ignoring self-righteous short-sighted bigoted pompous bastards."

I think my aim is becoming less true with all this toasting...

Kallista then asks Sandor: "Hey, I saw you casting all sorts of arcane magics; are you some kind of wizard?"

As Kaylessa mentions crazy flying Knights Kallista interest is piqued:

Crazy flying knights? You mean like me or sitting on something else? And what makes them so crazy, and what are they doing over there in the first place?

caesar193
2016-03-23, 12:13 PM
"Yes. Anyone missing from Red Larch, or the nearby towns, to fill those graves? And the caravan... What was it composed of? Number of guards, number of civilians, number of merchants, et cetera."

Estralita
2016-03-23, 12:17 PM
Seeing that the group was now splitting up to follow different leads, Jane attempted to flag down the server. "Do you know where I might find a person named Mangobarl?"

dread05
2016-03-24, 06:02 AM
His tognue loosened and his qualms forgotten from the effects of the strong wine, Sandor employed his most academic tone (or so he thought) and answered at Kallista's question: "Wizard? No my friend, I'm a cleric of Corellon. You see most people see Corellon as the patron of art and music. Well apart from the Elven Creator myth. But I digress. Art and music. And poetry and crafts. But Corellon is also the patron of magic. For what is magic, if not a form of Art? And deeming it as such, we of his clerichood devote ourselves to the study of magic as well as the divine. For we believe that the understanding of magic is the means of understanding Corellon's teachings... hic!" Looking around for the inkeep, he asked with a loud voice "A little more wine if you please?".

Zergrinch
2016-03-24, 06:41 AM
Zaladane looks around at the teetotalers with a mixture of pity and disapproval.

"You really should reconsider your choice of beverage," she lectures. "Over time, ale will scar your liver and cause cirrhosis if you continue to drink to excess. And you will be unable to save too easily for your old age."

o --- o

"Anyway, it seems there's trouble brewing -- perhaps more than mere coincidence. Did you know that those creatures we discovered earlier passed through a mass grave of finely-dressed dwarves and humans? The location appears to be close to some low-lying hills and a tower encircled by avians."

No lie, it's going to be tough to consolidate all these threads into one coherent narrative. As in, why should 1 PC's quest trump the other PCs' quests?

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-24, 03:53 PM
Kallista sighs: I'm still hoping I might one day become something of a wizard myself perhaps. Lathander teaches reinventing oneself now and then after a while, otherwise we become stale and stuck in our ways. Perhaps I can still maybe pick some stuff up from watching you.

Upon hearing the thesis of the origins of bugs Kallista responds: Well I think that settles it then where we should be heading next. Might catch a few birdmen while we're at it. I would not by the way worry too much about old age and now and then drinking a bit too much... Our occupational hazards are a bit bigger than that... If grape fermentation products get me in the end I guess I've done a job well done.

WaffleLord
2016-03-26, 11:49 PM
The Swinging Sword

Kaylessa sets more wine down at the table at turns at Kallista's question. "Well, they not really be knights, jus' think them to be noble-like. Feathergale Society. Buncha' folks who like flyin' around on animals. No jokin'. Seems a might... goofy. Jus' flying around, watchin, everythin'. Don't get me wrong, they help out. Scared away some big flyin' thing stealin' cows while back. They parade around, thinkin' them to be so high above it all, if ya take my meanin'. Pardon," she she says as she returns to the bar.

Haeleeya's brow furrows. "Hmmmm. No unsolved missing folks. The usual accidents accounted for. The delegation had eight members, dwarves, humans, and an elf. They were tradesman and ambassadors. A small support staff followed along, maybe four or five. There were four wagons and three others on horseback. Only two obvious guardsman. About fifteen all told. Had a brief stay in Beliard, paid well, and headed here. That was two ten days ago."

Stopping by Jane, Kaylessa says, "Mangobarl Lorren, the baker? He's halfa block down on the right. Runs late, might still be open. Pardon," and off she dashes.

Zergrinch
2016-03-28, 11:57 PM
Zaladane beckons Kaylessa over to the table. "If I may take up a bit of your time, would you be aware of any individual with the name of Grimy Dave? He is... a person of interest."

Estralita
2016-03-29, 01:58 PM
Jane nodded, first to the waitress, and then to the rest of the group. "Looks like this is where we part ways. But given how much is happening here I suspect we'll run into each other again." With that, Jade stood up and exited, heading where Kaylessa had indicated.

WaffleLord
2016-03-29, 11:25 PM
Kaylessa stops her rushing to lok at the ceiling for a moment before meeting Zaladane's gaze. "Grimy Dave, sure. He's a tinker and trader who comes by every month or so. Loops aroun' the hills by Westbridge, Beliard, and Womford. Some just say he moves the same trash aroun' in a circle. Done a few repairs at me Inn. Works cheap. Might still be here somewhere. Due to leave soon. Could send word for 'em if ya like. Pardon." Off she zips.

As you walk along the streets in the ending dusk, you smell the bakery long before you see the sign. A huge wooden loaf the size of a cart hangs as a sign above a slightly open door. Light and warmth from the ovens wash over you as you step inside. A thin mans works the peel back and forth, rotating loaves in a large clay oven. He looks over at you as you enter, leans on his peel, and wipes his brow with a rug hanging from his apron. "Evenin'. What's can I do you for?"

caesar193
2016-03-30, 09:01 PM
"My thanks for your time," Neophytos replied. "That should be all. I shall explore the area as soon as possible, and then... This delegation shall be found."

Neophytos half-bowed, and then returned to the tavern. He scanned the area, before approaching Zaladane. "You mentioned mass graves earlier. Its in the Somber Hills, if my information holds up. Meet me down here at midnight if you want to investigate with me."

So I'm planning on a little nighttime recon. Its something that Neophytos would do, but maybe anyone else. I don't want to make everyone wait for me to finish that while they sleep if only some of the party wants to go, so I figure I could roll a stealth and perception and you tell me all I see.

Estralita
2016-04-01, 02:01 PM
Jane strode in, attempting to give off a business-like aura. "Hello. I am looking into the disappearence of a group of delegates in this village, and was told you might know something. Is that true?"

Zergrinch
2016-04-01, 06:25 PM
Zaladane crosses her hands, and looks with disapproval at the wood elf, her lips the thinnest of thin lines.

Neophytus, the delegation that you speak of that I may have seen in my vision was ambushed and buried en masse in an isolated location! It is not entirely safe to investigate the area, especially if you are alone and during the dead of night!

I can accompany you, but it won't be in the middle of the night, and it will definitely not be without any suitable escort, like the ones who helped us fight off these ankheg!

WaffleLord
2016-04-03, 02:12 AM
He watches your ody language as you speak, turns and banks his coals in the oven, then puts down his peal and wipes his hands on his apron. "Come" he says as he steps to the back of the store. "I see by your posture, you are from the Black Network. We have interest is finding what has happened to those from Mirabar. Many favors of gratitude will be ours if you solve their problem." He glances to the front of the store before continuing. "I was drinking with Eann, a local cattle driver. He met the delegation on the Dessarin Road about ten miles south of Beliard, a few hours after they left. Later that day he saw a group of five warriors in sky-blue armor and white cloaks, flying on giant vultures. The aerial riders flew overhead and turned south, heading in the same direction as the delegation." He give one more look to the front. "The knights out at Featherspire are the only mounted flyers in this area. Whether they had something to do with it or not, they may have seen something." He hurries to the front, picks up his peal, and begins shuffling loafs around the oven. Speaking once again, quietly, "Speak well of my assistance." Turning his voice louder, "I'm sorry, but they will be ready by sunrise. Thank you."

Estralita
2016-04-05, 11:11 PM
Jane frowned, considering the information. "Is there anyone in particular I can ask about these knights?"

caesar193
2016-04-06, 11:13 PM
Neophytos looked at Zaladane, and shrugged. "As you say," he replied. Lying was such a crass way to go about things. Better to use misdirection. Much more elegant. Tonight he'd leave, apparently alone... perhaps that other wood elf would join? Sandor! That was the name. But no, Sandor had seemed very much the useless type, more suited to dried and dead trees to the vibrant and living forests.

"Then I shall see you at dawn, then, to head off to the Hills with this... company?"

Just in the name of avoiding intra-party conflict, I don't feel Sandor's useless, nor does ol' Neo. Its just he's probably got no experience outside of that library and doesn't know any survival skills, whether they be in the wilds (ranked "Highly Useful"), civilization (ranked moderately useful), or in politics (ranked "meh")

And I'm ready for a jump cut to tomorrow, WaffleLord. Unless you want me to RP out my midnight escapade, but that's more or less "I look at that leaf! Now I look at that rock! What a pretty rock!" So I figure its safe to skip that for the info.

WaffleLord
2016-04-07, 01:40 AM
The Sumber Hills outside the town are windswept badlands with dry grass sprouting in mangy patches. The soil is dry, but you find three springs bubbling form rocky outcroppings with clear water. The small streams meander downhill, dripping into gullies, towards the far-off Dessarin River. You find one set of owlbear tracks, weeks old at the foothills, but nothing else intersting. Numerous mundane animal tracks are visible in your eyes using only the moon's light. In fact you startle several ferrets out for their evening feast. They scatter only when you wish them a "good evening", having not the slightest idea you were there, watching. On your way back, you find a small sprouting of yarro, a mild anti-toxin. You pick a few sprig to keep fresh, just in case.
Not much to see on the ground at night. Fairly regular hills, shouldn't make for hard travel off the path. The yarro, when stewed and ingested, will give a +2 to saves versus poisons for one day. You have enough for four servings.

"Everybody knows about them. We see them fly by on the beasts. They even through a big party in town a month ago. Fairly jovial guys. They had some interesting stories of 'heroic' hunts, chasing down animals they think will cause trouble in the valley.Sounded a little too full of pride for my liking. Other than that, they keep to themselves. The one's that know them best are them."

Zergrinch
2016-04-07, 11:55 AM
Zaladane gives a curt nod and retires to her room the Harpers arranged for her. She has a busy schedule the next day: consult the armorer about the ankheg plate, track down the itinerant who sold the tome, and investigate the mass grave from her vision.

dread05
2016-04-08, 04:51 AM
Sandor is also heading for his bed. He got seriously drunk on the red wine, and must sleep before he throws up!

WaffleLord
2016-04-10, 07:03 PM
After asking about a gem merchant, Kaylissa arranges for Elak Dornen, who runs the local quarry, to meet you at breakfast.

After you wake and come to the common room, you see a human male, dressed for business but carrying quarry dust on his clothes. He meets your eye and steps over to an unoccupied corner. "Kaylessa mentioned you needed a stone." He takes out a secured pouch and tips out three diamonds into his palm. All are of sufficient size, two slightly larger than the other, but the larger ones have obvious flaws while the smaller is perfect. All would suit your needs. "These have problems and my usual dealers won't have them I can let these go for 50 gold each, but this beauty," he says with a smile of pride, "would cost you 100 for it alone. Forgive me but I do not negotiate. I am not a merchant who prices at his whim, but a quarryman. We know what rocks are worth and we value them by that. Our prices are, you might say, set in stone." He grins at his witticism. It is obvious he has used that pun many times before.
After asking about an armorer, Kaylissa arranges for Eldras Tantur, the town smithy, to meet you at breakfast.

After you wake and come to the common room, you see a human male, dressed in wrinkled clothes with traces of soot fingerprints everywhere. You sense he put on his "nice" clothes to meet a customer outside the smithy. "Kay says ya got somethin'?" he asks quietly. He eyes widen as you pass over the carapace pieces. "Gooh! I've heard it told ya could skin. Never seen it," he says, his voice rising slightly, clearly impressed. He runs his hands over the pieces and you can see by his eyes, his brain is calculating, measuring, piecing it together already. "Yeah, yeah, I can get a man's... er... woman's size set outa' this. Gotta talk with me tanner to treat these right. Gimme about... er... three ten days. Probably be about... uh... 700, 750 gold, dependin' on ol' Tanner. Whatcha' say?"

You awaken shortly before the sunrise and prepare your gear. Coming downstairs, you find Kaylessa has set out some warm bread and cold meats for you to share with a few other early risers who make small talk and light business with Gaelen and Zaladane. As you quickly finish, a shepherd comes trudging in. It is obvious he has been up for hours already. He knocks the dirt off his boots and approaches. "Got word you wanted to see the mess I found. I'm Larmon Greenboot. Haeleeya sent me," he says, looking Neophytos' way. "I'll take you up there if you don't mind some company."

He leads you outside to the eastern end of town where a couple of lean dogs watch over a small flock of sheep. With a whistle and a gesture, the dogs roust the sheep and get them moving southeast along the Calra Road. The sun peeks over the peeks after a few miles and takes the last of the chill out of the air. The shepherd and dogs are a very efficient team, rarely taking more than a short whistle, gesture, or nip and the mutton to keep it moving along the side of the road at a decent pace. The hills are visible to the northeast as the road stays to the foot of the hills. Rising and falling every mile or so, they never rise more than a couple hundred feet in height, creating endless little valleys and crevices.

Before midday, the shepherd turns northward and leads you up one of the valleys, his bleating sheep and barking dogs leading the way. Winding up a dry gully, you gain altitude quickly among dry grass and short brush. You have a good view of the surrounding hills from this vantage point. Several miles to the southwest you can make out the thin dark line marking the Calra Road. Perhaps two miles to the north, you see
a slender old tower circled by large birds. Nothing else is around here.

One more turn around a final outcropping and the cairns come into view. Not so much individual graves, but one large hole was dug and rocks stacked upon them with the dirt from the hole sitting beside it. The faint smell of death hangs in the air. The sheep get a little louder and Greenboot says, "I hope you don't mind, but they need to feed and they won't take a bite with that smell around. I'll be two hills to the west until quarter before down if you need me. Otherwise, you're on your own. Hope you find what you're looking for." With a whistle, he moves on down the hill. The air is still and quiet.

caesar193
2016-04-10, 11:49 PM
The sheep's pace had been annoyingly slow for Neophytos, who yearned to finish this task quickly, efficiently. But he supposed the slow walk would be good, give him a chance to think over the matter, prepare himself for what to do once he arrived.

"My thanks," he said to the shepherd, before turning away and paying the man no more attention. What was here? A tower, and at this distance... those birds must be truly large. However confidant in his abilities as he was, foolhardy bravery was still, well, foolish. Zaladane's words rang once more in his head... well, perhaps that was giving them a bit too much credit, as well as his ability to pay attention. But the gist was there, this was a dangerous place.

But these idle thoughts were getting in the way. He knelt down next to the cairn, the crude crypt, and examined the rocks and the earth. "Big grave... delegation was sizeable, as was expected. Rocks used instead of dirt... suggests large enemy group, two parties to gather rocks and to dig."

He stood. "Motive behind attack still not fully known. Could be after the seeds, could be mere bandits, could be after a specific target. Or perhaps something else..." Neophytos cracked his neck. "Best to eliminate possibilities."

The wood elf then proceeded to dig up the grave.

Is Zaladane with me? Because she said she'd accompany me, but this seems to be an all-day activity and you had other things on your plate. If she is, then maybe I won't make much headway on the grave.

Naturally, I'm waiting for the shepherd to get out of eyesight before digging. Pretty sure he wouldn't appreciate my actions. And also checking to make sure nothing tries to kill me. Because I don't like things that try and kill me. Do I need to roll anything for this? I'd guess the rocks aren't big, so it'd be simple, if tiring, to move them, but if they're heavy do I need to roll a strength check or anything?

Zergrinch
2016-04-11, 04:41 AM
After asking about an armorer, Kaylissa arranges for Eldras Tantur, the town smithy, to meet you at breakfast.

After you wake and come to the common room, you see a human male, dressed in wrinkled clothes with traces of soot fingerprints everywhere. You sense he put on his "nice" clothes to meet a customer outside the smithy. "Kay says ya got somethin'?" he asks quietly. He eyes widen as you pass over the carapace pieces. "Gooh! I've heard it told ya could skin. Never seen it," he says, his voice rising slightly, clearly impressed. He runs his hands over the pieces and you can see by his eyes, his brain is calculating, measuring, piecing it together already. "Yeah, yeah, I can get a man's... er... woman's size set outa' this. Gotta talk with me tanner to treat these right. Gimme about... er... three ten days. Probably be about... uh... 700, 750 gold, dependin' on ol' Tanner. Whatcha' say?"

"That is a rather steep price, plus, all of the raw material is already provided for. It's equivalent to half a year maintaining a wealthy lifestyle!" Zaladane frowns. There would be no ankheg armor for her in the near future, unfortunately. "I'll have to leave this for preparatory work, at the least, and hopefully raise sufficient funds in the future."

----o---

A trip later with the shepherd to the hills, Zaladane now stands next to the mass grave she saw in her vision. She watches as Neophytus attempts to start digging.

"My dear Neophytus, I am incapable of physical exertion, and surely you don't intend to dig this by yourself. Perhaps it is best to return with some townsfolk to do the physical labor. It is more efficient that way, and we will get answers much faster."

Still, as the elf's exertions resulted in the unearthing of a hand, Zaladane approaches and touches it delicately as she tries to ascertain what happened to the corpse for the past 24 hours.

Fishybugs
2016-04-11, 12:13 PM
Gaelen wakes early and meets with Elak. He listens to his sales pitch, then just takes the smaller diamond. "I'll take this little beauty and be glad to pay your asking price, Master Gemsmith, and thank you for taking time to meet me here."He pays Elak 100 gold pieces, then goes to see Kaylessa.

"Do you never sleep, milady? Your dedication to your establishment is admirable. He orders a tonic of his own recipe which he knows will help his sister's hangover, then heads upstairs to roust her out of bed. "Let's go, Nika," he says as he hands her the drink. "You can't make money lying in bed. Well, not in any way you'd want to earn it," he says with a slight grin.

-------
Gaelen follows the sheep out to the burial site. Why take these things all this way to feed? Seems easier to bring the food to them, he thinks to himself. A lot of strange ways on land in this area, but he tried not to judge.

Neophytos begins digging up the graves, and Gaelen watches for a few minutes, slightly disturbed. Will these people find no rest? He watches for a few moments, slightly nauseated. "I, uhm....I'll probably be better off as a lookout. I'll stay in the Crow's Nest, if you don't mind," he says, the bile rising a bit in this throat as a hand is drawn out of the mass grave.

He pulls his arcane focus out and mutters a few words, small flecks of lightning coalesce around him before fading to obscurity. He then raises about ten feet off the ground, where he can see quite a bit further than from the ground.

Cast mage armor and spend one sorcery point for Extended Spell. Tempestuous Magic to hover 10 feet above ground to act as lookout. Subtracted 100gp from character sheet and added Diamond of 100gp value.

Estralita
2016-04-11, 05:21 PM
Jane

Jane followed alongside the group in silence. She had heard what the others had found out, and combined with what she heard from Mangobarl, Jane felt a bit uneasy about attempting to tackle all this by herself. She hadn't put up such a great fight against the ankheg, and Jane burned with embarrassment about that, but she might need help. And these people seemed better than most concerning half-drow, so it wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice to go along.

Unfortunately, Jane wasn't the strongest, so she wouldn't be much help removing rubble. Instead she stood to the side acting as lookout.

[roll0]

WaffleLord
2016-04-12, 12:16 AM
Sumber Hills

The wood elf starts into moving rocks off the cairn while other keep watch. The male tiefling begins hovering in air, spinning slowly keeping watch with the warlock. Neophytos finds that although the grave is broad, it is not very deep. Soon he has unearthed a hand that Zaladane walks over and takes hold of but releases it shortly. Continuing to unearth bodies takes only thirty more minutes. When the ranger has finished, only lightly moisten with sweat, there are four bodies visible. A male dwarf lies dressed in the artisan robes of a smith. A female human dressed in a red surcoat emblazoned with a black axe wears chain mail even in death. A male human warrior dressed in a black cloak over strange stone armor seems in gentle repose, while a last human male, dressed in a white robe with black feathers at the shoulders appears to have been dumped in with little care as to his ending position. No weapons are visible but even a cursory look shows the bodies have been punctured by arrows and victims of many crushing blows.

The cold hand reveals little but darkness with pinpoints of light tracing across the body from sunshine through chinks in the cairn.

You see a shape flying in the far distance to the east. It looks to be larger than a vulture, but much small than the giant ones flying around the tower. Could be about man sized. In the surrounding shrubs, you see a tattered grey cloak and a few broken arrows.

Zergrinch
2016-04-12, 12:51 AM
"Nothing. I have nothing. They were killed over a day ago," Zaladane exclaims in frustration.

Trying to cool off, the Mystic trots out to a nearby tree. If she cannot find anything useful then at least she may as well be as comfortable as possible, given the circumstances.

dread05
2016-04-12, 01:59 AM
"Poor souls..." Sandor mumbled a silent prayer for the dead. He regreted not being profiecient with ressurection magic. The sense of uselessness he felt combined with his mounting headache made his mood bleak. He could see the arrow wounds, but sure such a delegation would have been prepared for an attack on the road? Sandor suspected this was the work of magic, and so he cleared his mind, and exposed his senses to the surrounding area.

Sandor will cast detect magic as a ritual. He is looking for traces of magic on the corpses or the surrounding area indicating that this was a magic attack.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-12, 03:57 AM
Kallista investigates the corpses a bit. I guess whoever buried these people did not very much care for the feathered one. Poking at the armor she asks: Also, what kind of armor is this? Stone armor on a non-dwarf? She then proceeds to take her time to search the bodies for clues to their affiliation or identity, looking for symbols and insignias and the like, or whether they have any items of interest on them.

Fishybugs
2016-04-12, 11:25 AM
Please, when Talos takes me, let me be buried at sea and not discarded aside in a pile of dirt. He continues looking surveying the horizon for danger until the rest are done playing in the dirt.

Perception: [roll0]

In case I get advantage for being 10ft higher... [roll1]

caesar193
2016-04-13, 10:09 PM
Neophytos looked over the bodies carefully, methodically, searching for any hint as to what happened to them. He searched for any valuables, though he takes nothing, and any weapons they had. Afterward, he began the laborious task of re-burying the bodies.

"Have any of you found anything?" he asked.

Perception to search bodies: [roll0][roll1]

WaffleLord
2016-04-13, 11:09 PM
Looking over the site with your "unseeing eyes", you see nothing but the ebb and flow of the natural magics that flow over any land. Even the corpses are suspiciously free of strong magic auras. If the delegation guard was ready for attack, how could they have been taken without magics or more bloodshed?
Searching the bodies reveals nothing of interest. They seem to have been checked already. Instead, searching your memories pay off. The black axe insignia on the warrior woman brings back memories of a warrior friend of your fathers who visited once to consult with him after his retirement. He was from the north, up beyond the Lurkwood. Wasn't it...yes...Mirabar!
You count three giant vultures circling the tower to the northwest, but to the east you see a pair of flying creatures that are more man-sized.[roll0]They don't have the beauty of the winged one with you. Aarakocra. The winged ones must be aarakocra.
The bodies appear to have checked already, though they didn't seem to value either warrior's armor. One thing that does catch your eye are abrasions on the wrists of the dwarf and woman. Rope burns. You've seen that before.

Zergrinch
2016-04-13, 11:16 PM
Feeling herself wilting from the heat, Zaladane takes a swig from her waterskin and starts fanning herself. She watches the others go about their business, and impatiently waits for them to finish. Somewhat bored, the mystic takes out the recovered book and starts reading through it.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-14, 03:08 AM
Well, I think we've found at least part of the delegation. I assume that the dwarf was part of it, and I'm pretty sure I've found my primary objective, as the human Female is the Knight from the north that I needed to find. I'm not sure about those other two though.

Fishybugs
2016-04-14, 09:42 AM
From his spot above, Gaelen calls down, "There's a few things flying around out there....vultures circling the tower over there. Aarakocra to the east." He keeps an eye on the Aarakocra to make sure they keep their distance.

caesar193
2016-04-14, 11:50 PM
Neophytos stood up, brushing the dirt off of himself. "The battle was not here," he said. "Or at least that much I can tell from the bodies. Further investigation of the area will naturally lead me to more certainty..." He began to methodically search the area around the cairn, and in particular the brush. He knew the short grass would easily forget the passage of feet, but the brush would remember it well.

"Rope burns on the wrists indicate either struggling of the victims or forced march of some kind. Naturally, struggling is to be expected, but if the battle was here then I would expect them being immeadiately culled and not bother with ropes or POWs being taken to be questioned, in which case there would be little opportunity to escape, and thus no struggling. Thus forced march..."

He paused for a moment in his methodical search, and looked at the tower. "Perhaps they went to the Tower seeking lodging for the night, and met with violence?" He returned to his search. "Delegation was large, most were killed, the rest taken prisoner... these four escaped, and ran for the hills... Would explain the rope burns... They looked important, perhaps the search party was forced to disobey orders and kill them... burial would be so as to avoid their act being discovered... but then why use obvious rocks and not dirt?... Need more information."

Perception w/ advantage: [roll0]+4

Naturally I messed it up and only did 1d20 instead of 2. Rolling the other in the OOC thread. 16 here and 22 there. So, uh, 22! Yay!

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-16, 12:42 PM
Hmm... so much for my perhaps somewhat premature assumption... Does it look like the dwarf and the woman with the axe on her chest were killed at the same time?

Estralita
2016-04-16, 03:56 PM
Jane headed over to the group cautiously, still keeping an eye on the flying group. "Are we sure this is the missing delegation, and not some other travelers? With everything that seems to be happening here, might be a good idea to check. If we can."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-18, 03:09 AM
I'm sure this is part of the missing delegation, the woman warrior is from Mirabar. However, the main ambush has likely taken place somewhere else. I can only guess why they were buried here. Perhaps they were captured elsewhere and later ambushed again over here somewhere nearby?

Fishybugs
2016-04-18, 11:58 AM
Gaelen continues to watch the aarakocra, making sure they don't get any closer.

WaffleLord
2016-04-19, 12:45 AM
The writing is in broad strokes of dwarvish runes. Few illustrations decorate the pages you see. Tables of what you assume are number line several chapters in the middle. The rest is unreadable to you.
There is plenty of dirt lying around and it must have been quite a chore to round up this many rocks from this grassy area. True, the weight of the rocks would preclude any animal from simply rooting through the dirt to foul the bodies, but it still seems like a lot of effort for only a little gain. Perhaps the burial style was more symbolic, more ritualistic. Many cultures have preferred burial rights. Such beliefs are not uncommon in the varied humans.
The aarakocra are staying relatively close to a overlook to the east, not flying very high at all. However, two more giant vultures have appeared by the tower, making a total of five. They are making wider and wider circles gaining altitude. One more turn and they begin wheeling in your direction.

Zergrinch
2016-04-19, 01:17 AM
Zaladane sighs. Of course the tome would have been written in Dwarvish. No self-respecting dwarf scholar would have written such a dissertation in Common or the academic inclined Elvish tongue.

The morning looking to be a bust, the middle aged academic deigns to scan the horizon, hoping to see signs of clouds that will shade her from such withering heat.

Perception: does Zaladane notice the vultures? [roll0]

Fishybugs
2016-04-19, 11:13 AM
"Uhh....guys, Gaelen says a little more loudly than he intended to, "We're gonna have some avian company here. Vultures. Five or so."{ He pulls out his light crossbow and gets it loaded, then waits for them to approach.

Gaelen waits for the vultures to get within range of the crossbow, then fires at the closest.

[roll0] for [roll1] damage and [roll2] if crit.

Estralita
2016-04-19, 11:34 AM
Jane frowned. Giant Vultures? Could they be the Knights of the Featherspire Mangobarl mentioned? He hadn't mentioned anything about them being aarakocra. "Take care." Jane said, uncertain of what else she should say. Her theory about who the were was only that, after all.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-19, 01:19 PM
So, uhm, battle positions or tea and a biscuit? I only heard they were somewhat eccentric.

Estralita
2016-04-19, 01:54 PM
"If they are the knights of Featherstone I've heard of, they were seen hanging around when the delegates disappeared. They tend to think they know best on everything.

Fishybugs
2016-04-19, 02:30 PM
"Guys, it's vultures. The big bird. Nasty beak. Scavenger. There are Aarakocra over the other way," he says as he points to the east.

caesar193
2016-04-19, 03:31 PM
"Then we should leave. I do not believe there is more to learn here. The tower seems to be the most logical place to head next- whoever attacked here would need a base and the tower would serve as a defensive bastion..." He closed is eyes for a moment, and thought. "They have many eyes in the skies. Sneaking in, especially without cover of some sort, would be difficult. Fighting in would be an option, but a risky one. Does anyone here feel confident in their ability to negotiate our entrance into the tower?"

dread05
2016-04-20, 01:51 AM
Sandor takes a good look at the tower for the first time. [roll0], passive perception 16. does the tower look inhabited or abandoned? Turning to Neophytos he points: "These could be either scouts, or made to protect the tower from intruders. If we are to head that way, we better be prepared." and with that starts a silent prayer to Corellon. "Hei-Corellon shar-shelevu...", the rest are inaudible..

Sandor will use a 1st level spell slot and will cast bless to himself, Gaelen, Janika and Neophytos. Basically anyone who is capable of ranged attacks that dont require the enemy to roll saving throws.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-20, 02:16 AM
Kallista looks around her surveying the situation: I'd recommend keeping our backs against a rock outcropping with me in front, just in case. You don't want to be flyby bait in the open if things turn nasty.

Zergrinch
2016-04-20, 02:23 AM
"Vultures, you say? They're scavengers, interested only in carrion. We need not worry about them, there's nothing dea---" Zaladane catches herself in mid-sentence upon realizing that, indeed there were corpses to feast on. Corpses she helped find.

"Never mind. I suppose we will just have to dissuade them."

The academic takes refuge under a big-sized tree, ensuring that a vulture won't be able to attack her from above. She then prepares to mentally blast the creatures into obedience.

Ready Action: Thought Spear. Trigger: When any hostile target gets within range (120 feet).
Effect: DC14 Intelligence save [roll0] or take [roll1] psychic damage.

WaffleLord
2016-04-21, 01:36 AM
The tower, while definitely many centuries old, does not seen run down or abandoned to the elements. There has been obvious restoration and even a small banner can just be made out fluttering in the breeze on the top level.
The vultures continue forward, wheeling two or three times to gain altitude. Even at several hundred feet in the air, the birds look very large. Reaching your spot, they circle, as vultures do, for several revolutions, turning lazily, soaring on the rising currents. Suddenly, mid-circle, they begin stroking their wings vigorously and make a bee-line straight back towards the tower, where they three land on the top while the other two begin circling the tower again.

As the vultures wheel around your location, you notice that three of them have leather straps around their breasts and behind their legs. They look similar to the straps you would see on a horse's saddle.

dread05
2016-04-21, 04:13 AM
Straps? Are those mounts? Who would use voltures as mounts? [roll0] a check to see if Sandor knows of a race or faction that would use giant birds as mounts.

"Hold your fire. See? They are returning back to the tower. They seem like mounts to me, bizzare, yet simple mounts. The tower doesnt look abandoned to my eyes, and most probably, the owners of the birds are inside. In any case I think we have been spotted. No reason to hide anymore..."

Estralita
2016-04-21, 01:29 PM
Jane grimaced."Definitely the Knights of Featherstone then. My contact told me about them hanging around when the delegates disappeared. From what I heard, they're popular, and convinced of their own rightness. They also hunt animals who they think are dangerous to the area. Maybe they've expanded their reach to hunting people they deem dangerous too...

WaffleLord
2016-04-25, 01:46 AM
You are fairly certain that Jane is correct. These are the Knights of Featherstone.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-25, 08:16 AM
So, where to next? Perhaps we can ask the Aarakocra about what they know and what has transpired around these parts and what to make of the knights?

Zergrinch
2016-04-25, 08:24 AM
Mopping her brow from the heat, Zaladane agrees.

"Let us go and ask them. Perhaps they may know of what transpired here. In any case we will need assistance to convey these bodies back to Red Larch for a proper burial."

Fishybugs
2016-04-25, 10:52 AM
Gaelen returns to the ground after hovering as long as the magic would sustain him. He wears a large smile on his face, and is obviously quite pleased with having been hovering for a while. "Alright then. Let's head out to the birdmen. We can leave word of the bodies with the shephard. They can send a cart and priest to take care of the bodies."

Gaelen waits for consensus, then follows the group toward the mysterious birdmen.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-28, 04:49 PM
Kallista nods: I concur; I'm actually rather interested in meeting these Aarakocra up close.

caesar193
2016-04-30, 12:50 AM
Neophytos looked around. It seemed this band needed someone to prod them to get them moving, and it seemed like that someone would be him. And so he said to them "Let us go," and started heading off to the Aarakocra. A thought struck him. Was he the leader of this band? He was the one making the decisions, it seemed. It had been his idea to head to the grave, and he was the one who gave the final say for heading to go the Aarakocra. The thought didn't sit well with him. He didn't mind being the leader, he minded being such an obvious target. The best power was hidden power, quiet power. People tended not to worry about the things they couldn't see, and people also tended to worry violently towards those more powerful than them.

He preferred being alive. It was why he used a bow, why he used stealth. Why he used poisons, though recent events had left him without any, sadly. If this mission paid well, he'd need to go to some quiet street corner, where the guards didn't look, and see about something to coat his arrows with... But this was idle wondering. He had some birdmen to see. Maybe some birdmen to kill. Neophytos didn't know yet. He like to keep his options open.

WaffleLord
2016-05-01, 01:08 AM
Moving overland to the east, you easily walk over the gently rolling hills avoiding rougher terrain with only a few steps to either side.. There are few trees to give you coverage as you made your way towards the outcropping of rock where you saw the aarakocra. They are no longer in sight as you approach. Swinging around the outcropping cautiously, you find one of the aarakocra perched on a low boulder facing your direction, awaiting your arrival. The second is no where to be seen. It appears as a large, man-sized bird wearing brown breeches and a tan shirt. "His" head turns sharply to one side then the next, taking in your appearance with both eyes, clacking his beak twice. He bends at the knees, lowers his wings, and lowers his head a touch in semblance of a bow. "Greetings, <clack> visitors. You seek and find here in our hills. Do you seek more? Do you seek <squawk> Salleek? For if so, you have found he. But what could the reason be?" His beak clacks once more before another short bow, more of a head bob down and up.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-05-01, 03:29 AM
Kallista steps forward and spreads her wings for a moment only to fold them back again. Greetings, Salleek. We indeed came here seeking more than what we've thus far found. We're looking for a convoy of travellers, or more precisely as it appears, to what has happened to them. We thought that a birds-eye viewpoint on the matter might and what is happening in this region might prove insightful. Also, I just wanted to see you kind up close.

Fishybugs
2016-05-01, 06:44 PM
Gaelen keeps a careful eye on these strangers, a nervous hand near his crossbow.

Zergrinch
2016-05-01, 06:50 PM
Zaladane makes a small bow herself, before chirping in, "Since your tower is quite close by to the grave site, we wondered if you and yours have seen anything out of the ordinary in the past few days."

WaffleLord
2016-05-03, 01:10 AM
Salleek

Keeping a watchful eye on Kallista, glancing to her wings more than once, he, too, spreads his wings in greeting. "We see many things from our vantage. But your prey <squawk> have been airless for nearly a tenday. They lumbered <clack> shuffled along their dusty trail until the Blue Ones swooped down and spoiled their stroll. Tussled and danced. The Blue Ones left one and took one as the rest hobbled away." The aarakocra ruffles his feathers before continuing. "They took their catch back to their tower." He flashes a quick turn at Zaladane. "Not our roost. The tower is the Blues' nest. We are neither welcomed nor wanted nor wish to go there. In fact, the way they circled, you may not be wanted either <screech>."

Zergrinch
2016-05-03, 01:39 AM
"How interesting. Can you tell us more about who the Blue Ones are? I have the distinct impression you are not on the most cordial of relations."

Fishybugs
2016-05-03, 10:48 AM
Gaelen continues silently watching, absorbing the conversation. He occasionally transfers his attention to the surrounding area in case anyone is attempting to sneak up on them.

Perception roll for sneaky peoples sneaking: [roll0]

EDIT: Man, I may not even see the trees...sheesh..

WaffleLord
2016-05-05, 12:01 AM
Salleek
Again, the bird man ruffles his feathers.

"<Skareech> The Blue! Fancy themselves the enforcers of the air with no respect for those who walk the winds themselves. Many times they harass and fluster my flockmates for reasons most petty. Narrow-minded and flat-thinkers, as many land crawlers are. <Peep peep> Present company excluded I'm sure <Peep peep>. They love and crave the power of the winds with no regard to the balance and order. No sight. <Skareech>"

He starts and ends with a throat call of obvious disdain.

The area looks clear and completely free of sneakies. (Trees? What trees?)

Estralita
2016-05-05, 12:09 AM
Jane

Jane listened, thinking. It seemed that the Knights of Featherstone were just as Mangobarl said, personality-wise. At first listen, Jane didn't think they were lying, but there was no point in lying if your lies were obvious, and they certainly didn't seem to like these Blue Ones...

Insight, just in case. If I'm not allowed to roll Insight checks on my own, ignore it.
[roll0]

Zergrinch
2016-05-05, 08:38 AM
"Thank you, Salleek. You have been most helpful! Come, friends, we must make haste for yonder tower, for I feel that if we are to accumulate actionable Intelligence, that appears to be the most appropriate venue to investigate!

Oh, by the way, kind Salleek, while I abhor physical violence, is there anything you could tell us that might prove useful should these Blue decide to assault us?"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-05-09, 12:39 PM
Well, I guess that settles that indeed. I guess we'll have to meet or defeat those pompous windbags.

WaffleLord
2016-05-12, 11:37 PM
Salleek
Insight - You feel that the aarakocra is speaking truthfully.

Looking to Zaladane, the aarakocra peals once more. "<Skareech> Their flight and their might rely on their mounts.Without them they are only <peep peep> men <peep peep>." He spreads his arms/wings. "When dealing with the Blues, don't forget to look up.<clack clack>" He bends his legs and gives a mighty leap upwards before flapping his wings. He gains thirty feet quickly, then wheel right a glides down through a shallow valley off to the east.

To the northwest, the tower awaits.

WaffleLord
2016-05-16, 03:20 AM
The Tower

The gentle hills allow you a fairly direct route. One or twice as you approach, you cut west to make an easier trek around rocky outcroppings, but never is the tower out of view. Before you reach the tower, a ravine to the west yawns wide, descending down several hundred feet to a river below. Walking a faint trail northward along the cliffs, you get your first look at the entire tower.

Instead of being built atop a hill, it stands perched upon a rocky spire rising from the ravine floor, stretching high into the air, the tallest point for miles. Built from white limestone and embellished in marble, the spire resembles a gleaming rod that pierces the sky. Tall, wide windows encompass the second level of the tower, absent only upon the eastern side. Smaller windows adorn the higher levels. A circle of open stalls rings the tower's foundation where it meets the rock. Above each stall, the sculpture of a hippogriff in flight leaps from the tower's base.

The gatehouse faces the eastern cliff, its drawbridge the only apparent point of entry. A gap of twenty feet separates the ledge where the path ends from the closed drawbridge on the second level of Feathergale Spire, just above the foundation of stalls. Two more levels rise toward the sky with a needle-shaped minaret of marble at the top reaching further cloudward. The space between the cliff's edge and the gatehouse drops several hundred feet to the bottom of the canyon. Near the ledge, a brass bell hangs from a wooden post.

In the stalls at the base, you catch a glimpse of giant vulture beaks peeking out from two of the entry ways.

As you approach, you see another giant vulture at the bottom of the canyon on the west side of the spire's base. It hops around the canyon floor, picking at something in the rocks below while a small flock of bloodhawks circle, waiting for the big bird to leave.

Zergrinch
2016-05-16, 04:39 AM
Zaladane holds up a hand, puts a finger to her lips, and sends a mental message to her fellow travelers.

"Giant vultures behind the entryways. Tread carefully."

Whereupon, the academic does her utmost best to walk quietly.

Stealth: [roll0]

Fishybugs
2016-05-16, 10:57 AM
Gaelen nods at Zaladane's warning. He follows along, keeping an eye above for vultures while trying to sneak along with the group.

Stealth: [roll0]

MenhirRocksolid
2016-05-16, 01:37 PM
Kallista keeps to the back of the group, hopping from rock to rock hoping not to make not too much noise that way.

Perception: [roll0]
Stealth: Really, why bother?

Estralita
2016-05-16, 02:27 PM
Jane followed as best she could. This really showed the benefits, and drawbacks of working in a group. Together, they had a much worse chance of sneaking past, but if it wasn't for them, she wouldn't have noticed the vultures at all.

[roll0]

WaffleLord
2016-05-17, 01:03 AM
The party moves silently enough, their footsteps making scant noise along the dirt path. However, when you come within two hundred feet of the tower, you see that all scrubs and rocks over three feet tall have been cleared. Drag marks show where larger rocks have been rolled over the edge of the cliff perhaps three or four months past. It would not be difficult for the denizens of the tower to see a group coming up the path no matter how stealthy.

WaffleLord
2016-05-19, 01:44 AM
In the stalls at the base, you catch a glimpse of giant vulture beaks peeking out from two of the entry ways.

As you approach, you see another giant vulture at the bottom of the canyon on the west side of the spire's base. It hops around the canyon floor, picking at something in the rocks below while a small flock of bloodhawks circle, waiting for the big bird to leave.

You notice a bend in the third floor curtains that rights itself at your glance. Your approach has been observed.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-05-19, 10:26 AM
Kallista takes to the front again as this supposed sneaking was not going to work. In case of an attack her place was not in the back.

dread05
2016-05-20, 04:20 AM
Sandor searches his pockets and finds his most prized possession, a pearl with a faint glow, clasped with a silver chain. He holds the pearl in his hand, and for a moment everything else fades from his sight. Later on he finds himself muttering the same prayer, asking again for Corellon's blessing.

Sandor will expand the use of his pearl of power to regain his lvl 1 spell slot, and will use it again to refresh the bless spell on himself, Neophytos, Gaelen and Janika. (again ranged characters)

Fishybugs
2016-05-20, 09:22 AM
Gaelen readies his crossbow as they continue walking, not that it did him much good in their encounter the night before.

WaffleLord
2016-05-23, 12:26 AM
The Tower

As you draw closer to the tower, a small shuttered window on the second level opens. Long, brown hair flows out, followed by the head of a young woman. She looks north, then south. Her head lifts as she sees your party, and, even from this distance, you can see her smile. She begins waving in greeting. When you are close enough, she yells, "Ho there! Welcome to Feathergale! What brings you out our way on this most splendid of days?"

Zergrinch
2016-05-23, 02:08 AM
Well met. I am Zaladane, working on behalf of the Harpers. My companions and I are here to investigate the disappearance of a certain delegation, and it appears some of their corpses have been recovered nearby. Would you and yours have any insight as to what might have happened?

dread05
2016-05-23, 03:59 AM
[roll0] Basically this: We know that the "blue ones" attacked the delegation, killed some and arrested the rest. The woman greets us with a smile. Is it a "we gonna kill you" kind of smile? Or a genuine one?

that was a natural 1 :S

MenhirRocksolid
2016-05-23, 08:32 AM
Insight roll: [roll0]

Fishybugs
2016-05-23, 10:06 AM
Gaelen watches the verbal ineterchange with interest. It was quite different from the welcome he expected from these people. Could the Aarokocra have been lying about this group? Did they hate them that much? "Beware," he says quietly to the others. "Something is not as it seems."

Where was his sister? Had her hangover truly been so bad this morning? Gaelen had not gone into battle without Janika, and he had no wish to do so today.

Insight roll: [roll0]

Also checking the honesty in her greeting.

WaffleLord
2016-05-23, 11:34 PM
The Tower

"Oh. Oh my. Deary. One moment." Her head disappears inside leaving only some light drapes to flutter out the window. In a little less than a minute, she returns to the window. "Please come in and speak with Captain Merosska. He leads our society and may help you with information. Please, enter." Her head vanishes once more. Two clangs and a thunk later and the drawbridge begins to lower. Two heavy chains clank on either side as the thick, wooden plank bridge is dropped into place. Two broad doors stand at the base of the tower's now revealed entry. One begins to swing open and the same brown haired woman steps into view. Her tight white riding breeches and black boots stand in contrast against the deep blue of the inside of her long cape. Blue and silver scaled armor covers her body with a central plate of embossed wings at her breast. A long sword hangs comfortably at her side. Her smile once again beams forth, "Welcome to Feathergale Spire."

To all, it appears that she is genuinely interested to see new faces.

Fishybugs
2016-05-24, 10:20 AM
Gaelen enters through the gate warily, full aware of how hard it will be to fight their way out should they close these doors behind them. He disarms the crossbow and replaces it in its harness, though he stands with his hands casually near his daggers.

He waits for Zaladane to make the introductions. His sister had always been the verbose of the pair, and he was glad to have found this new acquaintance ready to handle the interactions. He does look around the area though, taking in as much as he can. Possible escape routes, easily removeable treasures, the locations of guards, arrow slits in the walls. Any information which may be of use later.

Perception check: [roll0]

MenhirRocksolid
2016-05-24, 12:19 PM
Kallista is the first to enter the Fort, not knowing whether it will be a trap or not, but, remembering what the Aarocokra said, that at least inside the giant vultures floating around the place would not be a threat anymore in case of the former.

Zergrinch
2016-05-24, 07:10 PM
Thank you for your hospitality. This is certainly a most astonishing place; it looks far more magnificent than one otherwise would expect from a distance. What would you say your name was?

WaffleLord
2016-05-26, 12:36 AM
The Tower

The entrance is a thirty-foot-long hall of white stone. At the opposite end of the hall are two twelve-foot-tall doors like those of the entry gate. An eagle carved from a massive timber hangs from the far side of the ceiling, suspended on strong chains. Slender wings of steel sweep close to its sides. Its head is also fashioned of steel. Brightly colored banners of local cities hang on nearly twenty foot high walls constructed of chiseled rocks that fit together very well, but not seamlessly. The structure has been here a great while, but has been taken care of.

The hall has only one other exit, a small door to the north. The strange hanging eagle shape looks as if to be a battering ram hung to swing outwards instead of inwards.
The woman leaves the gates open and bows courteously to you who have entered.

"Thank you for your kind words. I am Savra, one of the protectors of this valley. Our society, the Feathergale Knights strive to keep the Sumber Hills, indeed, the entire Dessarin Valley, safe from those threats we can combat with our impressive skills. Have you ever flown in the winds of Mighty? It is overwhelming. Let's you feel the big picture. It fills you with the true power. The Captain has..oh, the Captain... yes. This way." She leads through the pair of double doors at the west end of this thirty foot entry. They open onto a spiral staircase leading both up and down. Savra continues talking as she leads you towards and up the stairway. "You have arrived on a most special day. This night we commemorate the tenth anniversary of our societies founding with a knight's feast. Our flyers from the four winds will be joining us tonight, here," she gestures to open doors you pass on the next level. Inside, you see a larger hall containing a long curved table set for ten. "The Captain has lead us to this great purpose for several years. He really is our guiding wind." Two more turns and you find yourselves at the top of the spire.

At the apex of the tower, the stairs terminate at a round stone gazebo that continues upward in a needle-like minaret. Beyond this enclosure, a small lawn grows upon the top of the tower. Four paths paved with white stones point the directions of the compass, each path ending in a pointed stone crenellation. At the pinnacle's edge is a spyglass on a tripod, pointed downward. From this vantage point, the Feathergale Knights possess a supreme view of all that transpires in the nearby canyon and the Sumber Hills beyond.

Standing boldly, looking out to the west is a well-built male human in his early fifties. Embossed feather patterns ornament the plates of his armor, and his kingly cloak boasts a feathered mantle. He smooths his white-blond hair into place, then bows low before you as if he were only a lowly courtier.

"Welcome to Feathergale Spire, retreat of the Feathergale Society. I am Thurl Merosska, the lord commander."

Zergrinch
2016-05-26, 07:35 PM
Zaladane reciprocates with an elegant curtsy, well, as elegant as the aging academic can best muster. She repeats everything she has told the delightful Savra, and tops it off with a request for information about Lord Merosska's knowledge about the mass grave they have recently uncovered.

While talking to him, Zaladane keeps focused on his body language for any clues to his specific intent.

Insight: [roll0]

WaffleLord
2016-05-31, 02:07 AM
The Pinnacle of the Tower

The Captain nods grimly as you reveal what you have found. He turns and walks along the northern path of stones. You notice two sentries stand by the staircase wearing white robes with black feathers at the shoulders. "I am afraid your friends have run afoul of a threat that has concerned us for some time. Great evil lurks among these hills. Depraved cultists led by wretched monsters. They feel beholden to a misguided prophet who claims to lead the righteous way. One of our initiates saw them herding prisoners while we were elsewhere on patrol. He took flight to see what was happening and sent back an empty vulture. You uncovered, perhaps, a man in white robes with black feathered epaulets? That would have been Reds. We assumed Brother Hirt was in that cairn, but once he has fallen from the sky, his body was of little concern. He no longer needs it to soar the heavens." Thurl sighs for a moment. "But these are heavy thoughts for new friends. Let us join the knights downstairs. Our anniversary celebration should be starting soon and I insist you join us. Share stories of bravery and courage to warm our blood." He gestures down the stairs, inviting you to follow.

Leading you back down to the second floor, he passes through the double doors leading to a larger hall. The curved table now has six people, including Savra, clad in the finest garments of velvet brocade of blue and white. Thurl Merosska moves to sit at the head of the table, while gesturing to servants to set more places. "Honored guests," he says. "Tell us of your adventures in the Sumber Hills. Let us ..." The doors to the great hall fly open and a sentry from the pinnacle dashes in and shouts, "Manticore! It's on the move!" At this announcement the Feathergale Knights rise as one, the feast before them not even started. "We should take this opportunity to slay the monster," Thurl says. From his finger he removes a feather-patterned golden ring set with a garnet and holds it aloft, saying, "A prize for the one who brings me the beast's head!" Turning to you, he says, "Forgive our ardor, but these opportunities must be seized. Will you join us? We have several well-trained hippogriffs you may borrow. Come, join the chase!"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-06-03, 12:21 PM
Though taken aback a bit by all the sudden commotion Kallista quickly regains her composure and answers: "I'll lend my hand to slaying on of those monsters for sure! I suppose the Hippogriffs do fly faster than I so I guess I'll take you up on the offer. We'll talk at length later."

Zergrinch
2016-06-03, 06:13 PM
Engage in an aerial battle with a manticore, whilst perched on an unfamiliar hippogryph mount, without effective long range attack options nor a safety harness in case of accidents? Madness, sheer unadulterated idiocy!

I shall cheer for your success from this vantage point! I fear I might be a bit acrophobic and will only hinder your valiant efforts!

WaffleLord
2016-06-07, 11:00 PM
The Tower

Disappointed by the small response, Thurl continued. "Well, any addition to the hunt is appreciated, especially one of your obvious... ah.... experience. Come. We shall get you outfitted to ride." Turning to Zaladane, "Savra will see to your needs while we're out. She's pulled resident duty this week. Away!" He charges down the stairs where you can hear other knight hooting and hollering.

Fishybugs
2016-06-08, 09:51 AM
Gaelen nervously allows the groomsmen (are they called groomsmen for hippogryffs, he wonders) to outfit him and secure him to the beast. He was apprehensive enough about going into battle without his sister, then he has to ride this strange creature.

"Okay...this...yeah...let's just do this," he says a little shakily as he loads his light crossbow. He slides his quiver around to the front for easy access, then hands on tight.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-06-08, 12:10 PM
Don't worry Gaelen, just don't come to close to the beast. *with a wink* And remember, I'll catch you if you fall.

Fishybugs
2016-06-08, 12:15 PM
Gaelen gives Kallista a weak smile and grips his pommel a little tighter.

dread05
2016-06-09, 11:28 AM
At the mention of the hippogriff Sandor finally breakes his silent prayer. "Ride a Hippogriff! I've been reading about them since I was only a hundred years old!" His eyes sparkle like a little kid's presented with a lot of candy. He never had any real training with mounting in his libraries, even more so for a flying mount, but he was sure Corellon would guide his hand if anything went wrong. His worries almost forgotten, he rides the beast offered to him. Turning to their host, he adds: "Thank you for this offer. I am Sandor. May the blessing of Corellon always be with you and yours."

Sandor casts guidance on himself. Also his disposition towards the knights improves after this and he is less likely to believe that they are what we fear they are

Zergrinch
2016-06-09, 11:46 AM
Zaladane watches quietly as the rest of her party rush out to ride on animals they never rode before, to fight an enemy they never seen before, in an aerial environment they never moved in before.

This was obviously going to end well.

The academic utters not a sound, waiting for the host to continue the guided tour.

Estralita
2016-06-10, 02:22 PM
Jane bit her lip, considering the choices. "Would we have to engage the Manticore while mounted? I would like to help, but I wouldn't say I'm an experienced rider."

WaffleLord
2016-06-12, 02:30 AM
In the Tower

Savra looks sympathetically at the half-drow. "It's alright. I understand you people are more at home in the darkness underground. You don't belong in the bright sky. The dirt is more your style." She smiles sweetly and turns to Zaladane. "If you'd like to rest and freshen up, I have a room you can use. Right this way." She leads you down one flight of stairs to a room with a bed, a dresser, and a tapestry depicting majestic, man-headed hawks posing bravely.

Estralita
2016-06-12, 11:29 AM
Jane's mouth contorted into a thin line. "I'm not from the Underdark, and I can't remember the last time I've been underground deeper than a cellar. If I have to try to ride a Hippogryff, I will, but I'm not an exerienced ride. What I wanted to to know is if I have to ride one to help."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-06-12, 01:21 PM
If you're not riding one you won't get close enough to it! Now hurry, or enjoy your time here.

Fishybugs
2016-06-12, 01:35 PM
Gaelen looks around nervously, the anticipation killing him. His mouth has gone dry, and he wonders if he'll be able to cast a spell without wetting his throat.

Zergrinch
2016-06-15, 12:15 AM
Zaladane gratefully follows Savra to the powder room, where she decides to freshen up and powder her nose.

Glancing at the tapestry, the academic comments on its provenance to Savra.

"This is a lovely work of art. Who did this fine piece of work, and what sort of creatures are these?"

After the chit-chat, Zaladane requests to be brought near a window so she can take stock of what is happening with the manticore and her traveling companions.

WaffleLord
2016-06-16, 01:55 AM
In the Tower
Savra gives Jane one final glance. "Well, dear" she says with thinly veiled condescension, "you could wait atop the tower and throw stones or spells if it comes near. Riding a hippogriff is not unlike riding a horse; just sit down and hold on. Close your eyes if you get scared, she won't crash. At least she will know what she's doing. Do go on. Up to the top or down to the bottom."

To Zaladane, Savra speaks with eager and respectful tones about the artwork. While they are purely for decoration, she explains, each one tells of qualities brought out by the glories of taking to the air. Courage, bravery, trust, respect, and freedom. They speak of the ennobling spirit of flight within all peoples. "Most peoples," she intones under breath, looking Jane's way. She smiles to Zaladane and directs her to a north facing window with a comfortable chair.

Soon to be Outside the Tower
Thurl leads Kallista, Gaelen, and Sandor back down the spiral stairway past the entry hall to the bottom level. Judging from the odor that greets you, you have reached the stables.

A circular landing surrounds the central shaft of a spiral staircase. The landing is piled with supplies and bales of straw. Radiating from the landing are twelve stalls with straw-covered floors. A harness, riding crop, and saddle hang in each stall. Swinging wooden doors cap either end of each stall, one leading from the tower to the stall and the other from the stall to the open air. Thurl and three other knights begin outfitting your hippogriffs before tending to their own vulture mounts. Speaking soothingly to the beasts, they give you basic control directions. As with a horse, use the reins for turning, stop, and go. For altitude adjustment, foot position will give the mount the signal for climb or dive. "They are good tempered and very forgiving," Thurl reassures you.

"We must strike at this foul beast while it soils the skies. Teach it who rules this air." Lusty yells from the knights echo their leader's sentiment. Grabbing three spears each from a weapon rack, the Feathergale Knights mount their winged steeds. "Let us ride to victory!" is Thurl's command and they urge their beasts forward out in to the air.

Zergrinch
2016-06-16, 02:56 AM
Savra's thinly-veiled racism hardly remains unnoticed by Zaladane, but it is scarcely an intelligent thing to correct such misconceptions while one is deep within the bigot's headquarters. Instead, she sends a psychic message to Jane. "There will be a time and place to rectify her misconceptions. Now is not the place, not while we are essentially at their mercy."

Gratefully taking the comfortable chair, the mystic looks out the window. Can she see the manticore from this vantage point, and if so, how far away is it?

MenhirRocksolid
2016-06-16, 01:02 PM
Following the example of the other knights Kallista also grabs herself a spear or a lance if they have one of those at the ready.

dread05
2016-06-17, 03:59 AM
As waking up from a trance, Sandor's attention snaps back into focus. What are we doing? Why are we so eager to ride these beasts, when we have no idea how? We really shouldnt be splitting up from the rest, minutes ago we thought these knights our enemies. What changed? Although their words were sweet, there was contempt hidden behind them.

WaffleLord
2016-06-20, 02:07 AM
Outside the Tower

Eager to join their flight-mates, the hippogriffs lurch forward, pushing through the swing stall gates and, in one dizzying step plunge into the ravine. Thirty heart-stopping feet later they pull up with mighty strokes of their wings and rise the glide beside the vulture-mounted knights. You find they respind very easily to leg and rein commands. As Thurl said, they are very forgiving. You find it very thrilling to drive you beast through the sky (except Kallista, who finds her beast mighty but her wings are far easier to control than these lugs). "Well done! Naturals all. Follow our lead and give chase. Knights, sound off when you sight him. A prize to the victor!" calls Thurl. "Spread out! Time is of the essence! Follow either Mannifred, Moelin, or Jaq. Onward!" Thurl begins circling higher while the three knight peel off, flying north, west, and east.

Inside the Tower

From your window seat, you see first vultures, then hippogriffs rise from beneath the tower base. They level off en masse, then split off into different directions.