PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - Feat choices for a Sorcerer with Fighter feats who likes a good donnybrook

Red Rubber Band
2016-02-15, 04:24 AM
I would like assistance making a PF Sorcerer that has no class abilities (bar casting). In their place I'm getting Fighter feats.
The character idea I have in mind is a noble who loves a biff and is very adventurous. However, she's somewhat... slow.

Stats are 15, 14, 16, 08, 08, 17 (higher point buy to alleviate the crushing disappointment of horribly skewed WBL).

I want the character to be semi decent at melee fighting, and will be taking Battle Caster. I'll probably rely a bit on reserve feats (obviously taking Heighten Spell), and may see if I can get a pass to take them using the Fighter bonus feats.
The character will have a lot of health in comparison to other characters, even traditionally "tanky" characters. So being on the front line is not the end of the world.

As a noble, I saw this as an opportunity to use Einhander or other, usually horrible, feat choices that fit with the fluff side of D&D. Probably still a bad idea.
Assuming the campaign goes to ~15, what could I do to remain a partially competent melee combatant?

Tuvarkz
2016-02-15, 08:24 AM
Honestly, your better shot at relying somewhat competent with half BAB is to focus on Beast Shape and run full attacks with natural weapons (Which happen to be at maximum BAB possible and thus compensate for your respective BAB being increasingly lower)
Beast Shape II: Megaraptor if on Land, Giant Octopus if on water. They have 4 and 9 natural attacks, respectively.
III: Mammoth and Giant Squid, 4 and 13
IV: Chimera with 5 natural attacks, not sure whether there's an aquatic magical beast that can match the Giant Squid's nat attacks, though.

Psyren
2016-02-15, 12:19 PM
Have you looked at the Eldritch Scrapper? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/eldritch-scrapper) You get the Brawler's ability to pick combat feats on the fly. I would give it some additional tweaks myself (3/4 BAB, d8 HD and proficiencies, perhaps in exchange for diminshed spellcasting and losing the bonus Eschew Materials) but it might be a starting point if you're looking for "sorcerer with combat feats instead of bloodline."

Red Rubber Band
2016-03-02, 02:58 AM
Honestly, your better shot at relying somewhat competent with half BAB is to focus on Beast Shape and run full attacks with natural weapons (Which happen to be at maximum BAB possible and thus compensate for your respective BAB being increasingly lower)
Beast Shape II: Megaraptor if on Land, Giant Octopus if on water. They have 4 and 9 natural attacks, respectively.
III: Mammoth and Giant Squid, 4 and 13
IV: Chimera with 5 natural attacks, not sure whether there's an aquatic magical beast that can match the Giant Squid's nat attacks, though.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this will go against the flavour of the character. They, themselves, will have good physical scores and want to wade into a brawl arms-a-flyin'.

Have you looked at the Eldritch Scrapper? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/eldritch-scrapper) You get the Brawler's ability to pick combat feats on the fly. I would give it some additional tweaks myself (3/4 BAB, d8 HD and proficiencies, perhaps in exchange for diminshed spellcasting and losing the bonus Eschew Materials) but it might be a starting point if you're looking for "sorcerer with combat feats instead of bloodline."

This I can use. Thanks for the suggestion.

So what about feat choices? The character is a regular rough and tumble, likes a biff, but... just also happens to have spellcasting and is a noble.
I'd prefer to stay away from shields. Unless I can take a feat that minimises ASF

Âmesang
2016-03-02, 10:40 AM
I'm not too familiar with Pathfinder, but is there any chance you could use the battle sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) variant from Unearthed Arcana?

Red Rubber Band
2016-03-03, 05:26 AM
I'm not too familiar with Pathfinder, but is there any chance you could use the battle sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) variant from Unearthed Arcana?

That, and Stalwart Sorcerer, are currently on the table as possibilities.