PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapon Fighting Throwing?

SangoProduction
2016-02-15, 09:07 AM
Yay some of what are considered the worst fighting styles.

But seriously, how does it work? Especially in regards to Lightning Richochet from Bloodstorm Blade, and Palm Throw from Master Thrower.

I mean, since people seem to get +8d6 damage from bull rushing with thrown weapons with 4 levels of fighter, so doubling the attacks (which are again doubled by palm throw) you can have seems like a good idea. They are going to be light weapons as well so a lesser penalty. I think 8d6 is a greater than the power attack bonus from taking a -2 penalty (even if you had a 2-handed weapon) to each of your attacks (not to mention I don't think it counts against your power attack bonus, if you still want it). But just how far in to the levels are you going to have to be before 2-handed power attack is what you just really want, compared to the 8d6, which won't be scaling except with your number of attacks?

Darrin
2016-02-15, 09:24 AM
But seriously, how does it work?

Not that well.

Especially in regards to Lightning Richochet from Bloodstorm Blade, and Palm Throw from Master Thrower.

Lightning Ricochet just returns your weapons back to your hands so you can throw them again during the same round. The tricky part is incorporating Thunderous Throw (Bloodstorm Blade 2), which doesn't work all that well with Palm Throw.

Palm Throw relies mostly on light weapons such as daggers and darts, so you lose a lot of the synergy with treating them as melee attacks. Power Attack can't be used with most light weapons, and you also lose your Strength bonus on damage because Palm Throw completely removes your Strength bonus from damage.

I mean, since people seem to get +8d6 damage from bull rushing with thrown weapons with 4 levels of fighter, so doubling the attacks (which are again doubled by palm throw) you can have seems like a good idea.

I think you're referring to Dungeon Crasher? That requires six levels of Fighter, and you need your target to be standing in front of an object or wall to get the extra damage. It also doesn't work by RAW: if your opponent is standing in front of a wall, you can't actually push them back into the wall because the wall is blocking their movement into that square. (Yes, this is a dumb way to read the text, but RAW cares not for such things.)

But just how far in to the levels are you going to have to be before 2-handed power attack is what you just really want, compared to the 8d6, which won't be scaling except with your number of attacks?

Throwing a two-handed weapon is tricky because it requires a full-round action for a single attack (PHB p. 113). I'm not quite sure if Master Thrower or Bloodstorm Blade gets around that.

SangoProduction
2016-02-15, 09:31 AM
Not that well.

Lightning Ricochet just returns your weapons back to your hands so you can throw them again during the same round. The tricky part is incorporating Thunderous Throw (Bloodstorm Blade 2), which doesn't work all that well with Palm Throw.

Palm Throw relies mostly on light weapons such as daggers and darts, so you lose a lot of the synergy with treating them as melee attacks. Power Attack can't be used with most light weapons, and you also lose your Strength bonus on damage because Palm Throw completely removes your Strength bonus from damage.

I think you're referring to Dungeon Crasher? That requires six levels of Fighter, and you need your target to be standing in front of an object or wall to get the extra damage. It also doesn't work by RAW: if your opponent is standing in front of a wall, you can't actually push them back into the wall because the wall is blocking their movement into that square. (Yes, this is a dumb way to read the text, but RAW cares not for such things.)

Throwing a two-handed weapon is tricky because it requires a full-round action for a single attack (PHB p. 113). I'm not quite sure if Master Thrower or Bloodstorm Blade gets around that.

Wasn't asking how *well* it worked. I was asking how.

Hmm. Didn't see that part.

Specific over general.

Throwing Enchantment turns it in to a ranged weapon, not requiring the full round action for one attack. Bloodstorm Blade gets Throwing for free.

Darrin
2016-02-15, 10:09 AM
Throwing Enchantment turns it in to a ranged weapon, not requiring the full round action for one attack. Bloodstorm Blade gets Throwing for free.

Well, not exactly. They get Returning for free, which had no effect on the action required to throw. Now that I'm looking at it, that's covered by the Throw Anything feat, which gives your melee weapons a range increment and allows them to be treated as a thrown weapon. This allows iteratives, unless you want to get really pedantic over the RAW.

The advantage of Palm Throw would be you've got some melee combo that relies on melee attacks (Knockback or Knockdown maybe?) or bonus damage (Sneak Attack, Skirmish). But it has to work well with light weapons and not rely on Str for damage.

I could see maybe a Swift Hunter dipping Master Thrower for Palm Throw, but I don't see how Bloodstorm Blade helps there.