PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sci-5 - Rules for Sc-fi in D&D 5e (PEACH)

RBVakarian
2016-02-15, 10:52 AM
Hello, I've been building rules to take the standard 5th edition rules and play a sci-fi adventure, while still keeping the feel of 5e. The link to races, and rules are below. Let me know what you think!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwcyc-LSLFWFQVpZT3J5ZWNJdzA

Amnoriath
2016-02-16, 11:54 AM
I have only looked at your races, new Druid, and your basic item list.
1. Your races are all over the place in terms of balance. The Humans, Vonurai, and Maliaforms are in general overpowered.
a. For Humans considering all the types of additional proficiencies it gets as well as Expertise giving the most total stats of any race here is a lot of numbers spreading. Reduce it down to the variant Human stats and you are good to go.
b. The Vonurai have so much going on it needs serious pruning. Giving resistance to the most common energy type and a weapon type has no precedence in a race, on top of that it gets a blanket advantage on common strength checks for melee, Hold Breath, and a breath weapon of untyped damage. I understand there is suppose to be a drawback with the suit but the thing with 5e though it seriously discourages item destruction as they are rewards or personal valuable belongings.
c. Maliaforms are basically better Halflings because of the cantrip and better sub-races. While some of your subraces keep in line with even though the race can use them better(Vulpine) some are limited(Feline/Lupine) and others have unprecedented advantages on either dire or common checks(Ursine, Ovine)
d. You also have subraces that highly vary in terms of power. The Fringed Kinnaren is really is vastly better than the Grunt. Not only is the roll recharge better and less contingent you give a better ASI boost and Flight. Flight is a major advantage and suggests way too much difference to merely be a subrace. Your Quagarrens already are decent in battle the Spacer offers great versatility and a Wisdom boost in which no one will say no to but your Miner offers a 1/2 version of the Goliath power.
e. Sylaens are vastly underpowered making the Gecko option the only really viable one but still out done by a Rogue. At base they only come to 3.5 according to Musicus your other subrace not only has a common feature that doesn't come up all that often but its signature is next to worthless due to its low damage and limited use.
f. The others though are quite balanced but I would suggest that Cyborgs should be able to choose where their single point goes(other than wisdom of course) since its augmentation and that the Surge should be a 1d6 or scales. A single d4 per rest isn't going to matter much especially in non-proficient rolls.
2. Your class is a more balanced techno Druid so that is well and good. Though be careful with the bots as additional actions on a full caster could get really hairy.
3. Your items are simple and keep in theme of 5e, but it seems like you have added various penalties and drawbacks to them with the new qualities while not actually making them any more powerful than the equivalents. Not only is it counter-intuitive to make lower power weapons in a futuristic campaign but you forgot Heavy weapons which is needed for certain features or feats. This also flies in the face of general risk and reward rules, if it has a drawback it should have an advantage.

RBVakarian
2016-02-16, 01:41 PM
1. Your races are all over the place in terms of balance. The Humans, Vonurai, and Maliaforms are in general overpowered.

Thank you for the fresh eye. Can you checked the rebalanced file in the drive (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwcyc-LSLFWFQVpZT3J5ZWNJdzA)? I'm hoping with your pointers i've gotten the races a bit more even.

As far as the Class, thank you. I really watched myself on that one for balance and am excited to playtest it.

If for the weapons and items you're referring to the "Heatsink" property, I figured that might balance giving people a fire based weapon, and to fix ammo.