PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Shield Guardian Concentration Spells and Metamagic

PeteNutButter
2016-02-15, 01:31 PM
My party wizard recently acquired a shield guardian amulet that gives him a shield guardian per monster manual. The shield guardian allows the wearer to cast a spell into him, and then the guardian can later cast it himself.

There are THREE levels of cheese here that I believe I can do RAW but am unsure at least as far as RAI:

Can I (a sorcerer) borrow the amulet and cast something into it that he could later command the guardain to cast?
-IMO obvious yes.

Can I cast a concentration spell into the amulet and since the guardian is the caster, I could also cast another concentration spell?
-IMO RAW definitely, RAI... little sketch, but it does say he casts it.

Can I cast a spell modified by metamagic into the guardian and then have him activate it with the metamagic effect still in it? (Essentially twinned haste on party members)
-IMO another RAW yes, but sketchy ("...casts the stored spell with any parameters set by the original caster") Is metamagic a parameter?

Anyone have any experience or input? Please don't just say, "as a DM I wouldn't let my players because I think they are trying to abuse it, etc."

Talamare
2016-02-15, 01:43 PM
Everything I state will be my opinion and how I would play it at my table

My party wizard recently acquired a shield guardian amulet that gives him a shield guardian per monster manual. The shield guardian allows the wearer to cast a spell into him, and then the guardian can later cast it himself.

There are THREE levels of cheese here that I believe I can do RAW but am unsure at least as far as RAI:

Can I (a sorcerer) borrow the amulet and cast something into it that he could later command the guardain to cast?
-IMO obvious yes.
No, passing the amulet resets the spells. Only the one with the amulet can charge it.

Can I cast a concentration spell into the amulet and since the guardian is the caster, I could also cast another concentration spell?
-IMO RAW definitely, RAI... little sketch, but it does say he casts it.
Yes, however if the Guardian takes damage then the Guardian will need to roll concentration. As usual, the Guardian may maintain 1 Concentration active.

Can I cast a spell modified by metamagic into the guardian and then have him activate it with the metamagic effect still in it? (Essentially twinned haste on party members)
-IMO another RAW yes, but sketchy ("...casts the stored spell with any parameters set by the original caster") Is metamagic a parameter?

No, Metamagic is the caster altering the spell after its been cast. The Guardian would receive a standard version of the spell.
It isn't a "Quickened Fireball", it's a Fireball that was cast in a Quickened way.
Edit - A Parameter is if the spell has additional conditions after it's been cast. For example Command spell, when you cast it into the Guardian you need to declare it at the time of casting the 1 word the Guardian will Command the Target

PeteNutButter
2016-02-15, 02:21 PM
No, passing the amulet resets the spells. Only the one with the amulet can charge it.

Sound opinions in all, but I would debate the first point. The flavor portion specifically talks about wizards making this things and then giving them to non-spellcasters. Seems odd that they wouldn't maintain the spell, if that is a popular use for the "item."

Ironically that is the least significant portion of my cheese, because I could just continue wearing it then.

Fuzzywulfe
2016-06-05, 07:26 PM
Flavor text says the spell remains until used or overwritten. Makes no sense for it to disappear since the spell is stored in the shield guardian. The medallion is just what bonds it to the wearer.