PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather AKA Super Boxer

Bartmanhomer
2016-02-15, 07:15 PM
I know that Floyd Mayweather is retired from boxing already but he's my favorite boxer. He's no ordinary boxer. He's a super boxer with superhuman abilities. He won 49 times with no losses. He's the ultimate boxer in boxing history. But this leave me a question, do you think Floyd Mayweather is a bit overpower?

Crow
2016-02-15, 07:21 PM
Marciano also went 49-0.

Starwulf
2016-02-15, 11:48 PM
Off the top of my head I can name at least 4 other boxers that could have taken Mayweather in their prime: Tyson, Ali, Foreman, Liston. Mayweather was just "great" during a drought of good boxers, nothing more as far as I'm concerned. He'd have been "Good" but never great in previous era's.

Velaryon
2016-02-16, 02:56 AM
I'm not familiar with Liston, but everyone else you named fought at heavyweight, so they would all have a considerable size advantage on Mayweather.

Starwulf
2016-02-16, 03:03 AM
I'm not familiar with Liston, but everyone else you named fought at heavyweight, so they would all have a considerable size advantage on Mayweather.

The OP didn't specify "in his weight class", so I just named Boxers who I would consider to be considerably better over-all. I consider them to be better fighters over-all, even if they were all in the same weight class.

Velaryon
2016-02-20, 04:26 PM
The OP didn't specify "in his weight class", so I just named Boxers who I would consider to be considerably better over-all. I consider them to be better fighters over-all, even if they were all in the same weight class.

Fair enough. Still, size considerations to come into play when you make an argument that one could beat the other.

On the other hand, Little Mac seems to be able to beat bigger guys (including Mike Tyson) despite being apparently only 4 feet tall or so. :smallcool:

Anteros
2016-02-20, 04:29 PM
The man is undeniably talented, but it's strange to me that someone would pick him as their favorite boxer given his history of being an awful human being.

AMFV
2016-02-20, 04:58 PM
The man is undeniably talented, but it's strange to me that someone would pick him as their favorite boxer given his history of being an awful human being.

Being a good or bad human being has nothing to do with how interesting it is to watch you box...

Which is the issue I've got with Money. He's boring to watch, I mean the matches are interesting technically and what-not, but I like some power and what-ever, which isn't really his style. As to whether he'd win in a fight, with somebody he's never fought, there's no way to know that. Ain't no way to know who'd win unless you've seen 'em fight.

Remember, many of the greatest boxers have been beaten by relative nobodies, and then later regained their titles, fighting is a complex thing and sometimes you lose to somebody that you are better than, just because of the way the cookie crumbles.

Killer Angel
2016-02-21, 09:56 AM
Being a good or bad human being has nothing to do with how interesting it is to watch you box...

This is true, and it applies to (basically) all sports.

TheThan
2016-02-21, 12:55 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Robinson) is pound for pound, the best boxer in history. Seriously read up on him, watch some of his fights (youtube). The dude was really amazing.