PDA

View Full Version : Player Help First time Pathfinding, any advice?

Poblobo
2016-02-16, 04:54 AM
So, I'm playing my first tabletop game ever soon (within two weeks) and I've been consulting with the to-be DM about stuff, it's a game with a ton of new players, and I've come up with a cavalier to play with. Does anyone have any tips or advice for a person new to the game?

Disclaimer: I'm relatively familiar with D&D as a whole via a ton of reading on this site, but anything could be helpful.

Geddy2112
2016-02-16, 09:24 AM
Since most people will be new, the DM should be pretty accommodating. You already made a good choice and picked a martial class, which is exponentially easier than a caster.

Learn the rules that apply to your character. If you want to learn more, then great! Otherwise, just know how to swing your melee weapon, use any skills you have ranks in, move around, buy stuff, etc.

Most importantly- work with the group, interact with things(examine the statue, talk to the bartender, ask the other PC about their background) and go in to have fun together.

Also, you would get more help in the pathfinder/ 3.X subforum.

Hunter Noventa
2016-02-16, 10:53 AM
Since you're playing a Cavalier you might want to discuss with your DM the best ways to handle your mount, which can be anything from 'there when you need to ride' to 'practically a second character'.

And don't be afraid to ask questions of your DM or fellow players. The vast majority of people who play these games are happy to be helpful, especially towards newer players.

MrZJunior
2016-02-16, 01:48 PM
Be careful of in character vs out of character knowledge.

Poblobo
2016-02-16, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the advice all, I'll try to keep it in mind. And as was suggested, I'll make a thread in the pathfinder area, or at least look for similar threads there.

FocusWolf413
2016-02-18, 11:14 PM
Make sure you have all of these:
200+ feet silk rope. Hemp won't cut it.
15 or more daggers, hidden all over your body. Remember, "come unarmed" doesn’t take into account the poophole loophole.
10 pints of oil and some alchemist's fire. More if you have extradimensional space. Sometimes you need a lot of fire, and fast.
Chalk. Mark where you've been.
A ranged weapon. You'll only forget once.

GrayDeath
2016-02-19, 01:09 PM
Make sure you have all of these:
200+ feet silk rope. Hemp won't cut it.
15 or more daggers, hidden all over your body. Remember, "come unarmed" doesn’t take into account the poophole loophole.
10 pints of oil and some alchemist's fire. More if you have extradimensional space. Sometimes you need a lot of fire, and fast.
Chalk. Mark where you've been.
A ranged weapon. You'll only forget once.

Important points. Although if you can get away with a selfmade race that has flight, a Spit attak AND Spiderclimb some items are less important.

Even moreso: bring at least 3 dice of every type you might need.

And most importantliy: if you do not understand something, ASK!.
There is nothing wrong with being newwe all were ouat, but with being ignorant, there is. A lot. :smallcool:

FocusWolf413
2016-02-19, 02:19 PM
Important points. Although if you can get away with a selfmade race that has flight, a Spit attak AND Spiderclimb some items are less important.

Spiderclimb is necessary at the strangest times. It's always a good backup.

Even moreso: bring at least 3 dice of every type you might need.

At least. Someone always forgets their dice and wants to use your's.

And most importantliy: if you do not understand something, ASK!.
There is nothing wrong with being newwe all were ouat, but with being ignorant, there is. A lot. :smallcool:

Yeah. Nothing kills a game like a player who's not paying attention or who's confused, but won't ask what's happening.
"What's your move?"
"Oh, yeah, I don't know what's going on."
*collective groan*
Don't be that guy. Ask stuff.