PDA

View Full Version : Does enhance ability work on saving throws?

Aasimar
2016-02-16, 08:44 AM
Hi, quick question.

At first I thought it must, as it seems like one of the most obvious utilities for the spell, as it doesn't affect attack rolls or the like.

Then I noticed it specifically lists that it boosts str. checks, dex checks, etc.

For some reason, I think saves are not ability checks, as such, but does the wording 'dex check' specifically include dex saving throws as well as dex ability checks?

hymer
2016-02-16, 08:50 AM
Hi, quick question.

At first I thought it must, as it seems like one of the most obvious utilities for the spell, as it doesn't affect attack rolls or the like.

Then I noticed it specifically lists that it boosts str. checks, dex checks, etc.

For some reason, I think saves are not ability checks, as such, but does the wording 'dex check' specifically include dex saving throws as well as dex ability checks?

Saves are indeed not checks, and therefore Enhance Ability does not affect them. But ability checks include rolls for skills, and the initiative roll is a Dex check, which is affected by the spell.

Segev
2016-02-16, 11:00 AM
Yeah, this spell is significantly nerfed from the ones it inherited in 3e. It works on far fewer rolls per game.

Flashy
2016-02-16, 11:09 AM
Yeah, this spell is significantly nerfed from the ones it inherited in 3e. It works on far fewer rolls per game.

Yeah, my group has found Enhance: Charisma pretty outrageously OP but apart from that we don't use it much.

Aasimar
2016-02-16, 11:17 AM
As I'm playing a charisma 18 level 5 bard with expertise in persuasion and performance, I think I can find uses for enhance: Charisma.

That said, I'm still not sure it's worth a precious precious spell slot.

MaxWilson
2016-02-16, 11:35 AM
Quick rundown:

There are basically three kinds of d20 rolls in 5E:

attack rolls
ability checks
saving throws

Many ability checks are modified by a skill, e.g. Str (Athletics). Others are not (Initiative, escaping from a grapple or Web or Evard's Black Tentacles, overcoming fear from Wrathful Smite). Bards with Jack of All Trades, and Champions, may get partial proficiency bonus to the latter kind of check anyway.

Enhance Ability will boost ability checks, so Enhance Dexterity will make you better at Initiative. It will not help you make your Dex save against a Fireball. Neither will the Guidance cantrip.

Conversely, being Frightened gives you disadvantage on your ability checks while your source of fear is present. It will not affect your Dex save against a Fireball.

As I'm playing a charisma 18 level 5 bard with expertise in persuasion and performance, I think I can find uses for enhance: Charisma.

That said, I'm still not sure it's worth a precious precious spell slot.

Later on, you can also use Enhance Ability to boost someone's odds of succeeding on a Counterspell or Dispel Magic attempt.

Flashy
2016-02-16, 12:22 PM
Later on, you can also use Enhance Ability to boost someone's odds of succeeding on a Counterspell or Dispel Magic attempt.

This is severely brilliant. I never made that connection.

Aasimar
2016-02-16, 12:24 PM
Even more brilliant?

Steal Counterspell at level 10, then I can both use enhance ability and jack of all trades to add to it.

MaxWilson
2016-02-16, 12:34 PM
Even more brilliant?

Steal Counterspell at level 10, then I can both use enhance ability and jack of all trades to add to it.

Plus, Peerless Skill at 14th level.

High-level Lore Bards are the best Counterspellers in the game. They even beat Abjurors, as long as their Bardic Inspiration dice hold out.

And BTW, I can't claim to have originated this one but: with Glibness, you literally cannot fail a Counterspell check even on a 9th level spell (barring special circumstances such as an enemy Portent or Cutting Words stacked with Bend Luck).