PDA

View Full Version : DM Help (3.5) Crowd control spells for a level 8 cleric?

WarKitty
2016-02-16, 10:32 AM
I have a level 8 cleric commanding a battle (and probably a few lower-level clerics). I'm having trouble finding good crowd-control spells to give him that would mess with my PC's. Any good suggestions?

Jormengand
2016-02-16, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately, you're right, clerics have a hard time messing with people in big battles at that level. Wall of Fire is fire domain, which might help; spike stones is earth domain. If you can afford to give him another level, Control Winds is air domain and you get Wall of Stone on the cleric list. Control Water could cause a flood? Deeper Darkness could make it hard for them to see you? You can use Stone Shape to turn a random rock into a wall. Really, many of the good ones are domain spells.

WarKitty
2016-02-16, 11:17 AM
Anything that could annoy the crap out of my PC's is also allowed.

Jormengand
2016-02-16, 11:28 AM
If this cleric is evil, he might throw a guidance of the avatar on himself for a sweet +20 bonus to knowledge religion, then use the BoVD sacrifice rules to chuck a control weather at them. Or use the limited wish that it can grant to emulate powerful illusions like mirage arcana, or other spells such as move earth or forceful hand. Or wall of iron. Or waves of fatigue, so that they can't run or charge.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-16, 11:56 AM
Cleric BFC spells are a little rare, but there are some. And summons make up for a lot, though SM IV is still a little early for the real gems.

Venom Bolt (SK) is a 100ft line with some damage and a fort save or paralyzed. Even on a success it slows for 1 round. The only downside is that it's in Serpent Kingdoms, but you're the DM so that shouldn't be a problem.
Laogzed's Breath (SK) is basically Stinking Cloud, only as a cone.
Haboob (SS) does some minor damage and blocks LoS.

You can also summon something.
Magma Mephits get Pyrotechnics. Ooze and Water Mephits get Stinking Cloud. Salt Mephits get Glitterdust. Sulfur Mephits get Haboob and Stinking Cloud. Cervidals get Command, Hold Person and Suggestion. Spined Devils get Stinking Cloud. White Abishai get Command and Charm Person. All of those are SM IV.

SM III offers the Dretch (Stinking Cloud) and Bacche (Charm Person, Hideous Laughter, Emotion). Coure Eladrin are incorporeal and get Magic Circle against Evil, and they can spam Faerie Fire and Magic Missile.

SM II is a little outdated by level 8, but Kaorti get Color Spray and Ray of Enfeeblement 1/day each, and you can summon them in groups.