PDA

View Full Version : Which fable game has the best alignment system?

MonkeySage
2016-02-16, 11:04 AM
I tried doing an evil run in fable 3(yeah I know, terrible game) and found it particularly difficult. all the good choices are ultranice saint choices, and all the evil choices are total douchebag choices. "Do I wanna give this person gold to pay for food, or do I wanna belch in his face?" having played evil characters before in other games, I'm well aware that evil characters can be charming, even friendly. they don't have to be douchebags. my favorite villains could easily pass for good guys if they didn't have evil goals.

Domochevsky
2016-02-16, 11:26 AM
Fable... they're all Molineux games, so anything related to alignment, story and social activities in there are terrible, I feel. These games have active contempt for the player. :smallsigh:

( But then again, I may still be bitter about Fable 1. I played that, and I was not amused by its antics. :smallannoyed: )

MonkeySage
2016-02-16, 11:53 AM
I'm left here wondering if it'd be better if the writing teams from bioware took over... social interaction, alignment, story... I told my bf I was playing the game and his only response was "eww". :P I wasn't expecting anything good, but was hoping that playing evil would be at least mildly more interesting than good...

Nilehus
2016-02-16, 12:47 PM
The 'best' would probably have to be 3's choices between good, but ultimately ineffectual and evil, but pragmatic choices for the royal decisions.

Sure, it's still ridiculously shallow, but hey, they tried.

Misery Esquire
2016-02-16, 02:38 PM
I'm left here wondering if it'd be better if the writing teams from bioware took over... social interaction, alignment, story

Not really. The only difference between Molineux's stuff and Bioware's is that Bioware hides their brick in a napkin before beating you over the head with it.

Cespenar
2016-02-16, 03:44 PM
Try CD Projekt (people who made Witcher) instead. Bioware, as much as I like their work, for some reason still insists to have the moral axis of a saturday morning cartoon in their games.

Typewriter
2016-02-17, 12:46 AM
I tried doing an evil run in fable 3(yeah I know, terrible game) and found it particularly difficult. all the good choices are ultranice saint choices, and all the evil choices are total douchebag choices. "Do I wanna give this person gold to pay for food, or do I wanna belch in his face?" having played evil characters before in other games, I'm well aware that evil characters can be charming, even friendly. they don't have to be douchebags. my favorite villains could easily pass for good guys if they didn't have evil goals.

I'm a huge fan of the Fable games, though in my opinion the multiplayer was the only redeeming factor of Fable 3.

Fable 1 did a good job with good and evil in my opinion. It had some distinctly different powers based off of your choices. There are also a few quests that felt distinctly different or had nice and varied endings. Nothing special, but not bad. Lots of nice little touches that helped define you as good or evil.

Fable 2 was sort of generic in regards to choices. Like, you could be evil, but it was just sort of, "Oh, I guess you can buy some extra houses now". I never felt like people reacted properly to your alignment. I mean - you could do evil things, and they felt important, but then nothing really happened. That being said, Fable 2 had some very low-key subtleties to the story, especially in the ending, that made it my favorite story of the Fable series.

Fable 3 was the biggest let down for me, but I only noticed how bad on my second play-through, and it got worse and worse with each subsequent playthrough. Like, at one point, I realized that the quests to 'gather 40 renown' or whatever could be accomplished by running up to 40 NPCs and either shaking their hands or farting on them. No questing required, literally just, "Wow I farted on 40 people and that got me enough fame to advance the story". But the ending... oh my god...

In my first play-through I was a paragon of good and virtue. I did everything right, and it was glorious, everyone loved me. I kept all my promises and used my own funds to bring the coffers of the kingdom to overflowing levels, saving every last citizen of Albion. When the final fight between good and evil came my character stood against the darkness and banished it. Walter dies in this final battle, and as he lay there fading he looked up at me, with my angelic wings and my halo of light, and spoke, "I'm proud of you".

In my second play-through I was worse that scum. Everyone died at my blade, citizens ran from me, everything was stolen, guards died by the dozens. I hoarded every last cent of wealth, made every terrible decision, then raided the treasury for my own purposes. When the shadows came they consumed every single person in Albion, but despite this I banished this evil. Walter dies in this final battle, and as he lay there fading he looked up at me, at my sunken, pale, eyes and my demonic horns, and spoke, "I'm proud of you".

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things in Fable 3. But it'll never be anything less than a disappointment to me.

Fable 1 had the best gameplay, from character versatility and customization to versatile equipment options, on and on. Everything about it is great in my opinion.

Fable 2 had the best story, shallow in some respects yes, but with some subtlety to it that made me fall in love with it.

Fable 3 had fantastic multiplayer.