PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New Template (Monster): The (Minor) Nightwalker. WIP, PEACH

johnbragg
2016-02-16, 11:15 AM
Highlights: Bringing in some undead tropes that I find under-supported in 3X.
1. Avoiding sunlight (every round in bright sunlight, 2 points of INT damage).
2. How-can-you-kill-whats-already-dead, in the form of Fast Healing 1.
Lets you throw a low-level spawning undead at your heroes that has a definite weakness--cannot function outdoors in the daytime.
EDIT: And a friend suggested that it raise things it kills but doesn't feed on as zombies. I do like that, but I'm not sure.

Of course, now that we've imagined it as a Template, we can template-up things besides 1st level warriors.

The Minor Nightwalker Template.
"Nightwalker" is an acquired template that can be applied to any humanoid, giant, maybe monstrous humanoid.
Size and type: Type changes to Undead. Size remains the same.
Hit Dice: Convert all existing Hit Dice to d12s.
Armor Class: Natural armor bonus increases by a number based on the zombie’s size (use zombie table) Small +1, Medium +2, Large +3
Damage: 2 claw attacks for d4 hp (Medium), or 1 claw attack or by weapon
Special Attacks: Feed. If both claws hit, or as a coup de grace, a Nightwalker may start a grapple as a free action. Next round, if still grappling, bite for Con damage equal to the Minor Nightwalker's Strength bonus. (NOTE: This is ability damage, the goes-away-with-time-if-you-live kind, not ability drain, the get-your-butt-to-a-7th-level-cleric kind.) (I'm not 100% sure on this mechanic. Grappling aside, it's pretty straightforward, and I don't think it's overpowered. I imagine this used more as a coup-de-grace than a combat action. PEACH?)
Special Qualities:
Light vulnerability. (Su) Every round spent in direct sunlight, the Nightwalker takes 2 points of INT damage. Every night, at sunset, the Nightwalker recovers 1 point of INT until it reaches its normal score. (Nightwalkers caught in sunlight for the day who remain undisturbed rise with animal-level intelligence (1). (NOTE: Yes, this is an exception to the Undead type immunity to ability drain or damage.)
Fast healing 1. (Su) Unless reduced to -10 hit points, the Nightwalker recovers hit points at a rate of 1 per round.
Saves: As base creature.
Abilities: +2 to Strength, Dexterity, -2 to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma
Skills: Skill points as base creature. In addition, Minor Nightwalkers can always treat Hide, Move Silently, Listen, Spot, Search, Climb and Disguise as class skills. In addition, Minor Nightwalkers who have been undead for some time can retrain their skills as they lose touch with their mortal lives and gain more experience at managing their undeath.

Feats: As base creature, plus Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple as bonus feats. (Note: ACtually, if we don't want it feeding in combat, does it need Improved Grapple?)
Environment: Anywhere the sun doesn't shine.
Organization: Any.
Challenge Rating: That's a good question. The 1st-level warrior model is probably a CR 1, I think.
Treasure: Varies. I didn't even realize this was still an entry in the stat block
Alignment: Any. (Note: Lawful Good types who find themselves nightwalkers will probably seek clerical aid to end their undead existence.)
Level Adjustment: Also a good question. Daylight vulnerability is a pretty hefty penalty, except when you can set up a situation where you avoid it entirely. Fast Healing 1 and natural armor +2 is better than no fast hearing and no natural armor. The stats pretty much even out, counting "no Con" as a Con penalty overall. LA + 1?. EDIT: If it automatically creates zombies, LA + 1 makes this a magnet for necromancers. HIgher LA, or just roll with it?

EDIT 2 to OP: These are more fun if everything they kill that they can't (or don't) FEED on rises as a zombie

johnbragg
2016-02-16, 11:16 AM
{Reserving for Walker, who was a 1st level commoner or warrior long ago before becoming a Minor Nightwalker}

AC 14 (+2 NA, + 2 Dex) HP 7 (d12), BAB +0 2 claws +0 d4 + 2 or 1 claw, + 2 d4 + 2
S 14 D 15 C 0 I 8 W 9 Ch 6

Fort + 0 Ref + 2 Will + 2
SA if both claws hit, start Grapple as a free action. Next round, if still grappling, bite for 2 points of Con damage
SD Fast healing 1
SQ Sunlight vulnerability. EAch round in direct sunlight, suffer 2 points of INT damage.
Feats: Improved Unarmed STrike, Improved Grapple, Alertness, Stealthy

Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Listen +3, Spot +3, Search +1, Disguise +0

EDIT to OP: Minor Nightwalkers treat Hide, Move Silently, Listen, Spot, Search and Sense Motive as class skills. Probably also Climb, Disguise.

EDIT 2 to OP: These are more fun if everything they kill that they can't (or don't) FEED on rises as a zombie.

johnbragg
2016-02-16, 03:17 PM
Continuing to think about it, this opens up story possibilities of a Nightwalker Apocalypse adventure path. Assuming some sort of leadership and direction, and some sunless part of a city, you can have running pitched battle going on. The Nightwalkers aren't powerful enough to sweep all mundane opposition before them, but they spawn and the problem spreads. Is the Minor Nightwalker at that "sweet spot" for infectious diseases, not so deadly that it kills too fast to spread, but contagious enough that, unchecked, it WILL spread?