PDA

View Full Version : DM Help storing my stuff

deathbymanga
2016-02-16, 11:21 AM
so, I'm setting up a big encounter involving an Evil crazy Druid and a Worm that Walks copy of our dead Wizard. I plan for this to be at least a little long and so I need a way to store all the info I'm writing down. What's a good way you DMs organize your stuff regarding adventures?

hymer
2016-02-16, 11:36 AM
so, I'm setting up a big encounter involving an Evil crazy Druid and a Worm that Walks copy of our dead Wizard. I plan for this to be at least a little long and so I need a way to store all the info I'm writing down. What's a good way you DMs organize your stuff regarding adventures?

I use text documents, so I can make changes. Then I print them before the session I need them for, and keep them in a physical folder along with maps, handouts, etc.

JAL_1138
2016-02-16, 12:09 PM
I keep each individual encounter separate from the rest of the material, too, so I can pull them out easier. They're labeled according to location, e.g., "Alleyway behind tavern" if they're set to be at a fixed place.

They also get labeled with level range, general terrain, XP (Budget/Awarded) and a short summary with adhesive tabs, e.g., "3-5, City, Human Thieves w/Boss, 1600/625 XP" so that I can re-use them in later adventures and cut down on prep time. I add a section to the top of the first page with some general notes on tactics (e.g., "Leader sends mooks first and doesn't engage until necessary; mooks geek the mage if possible") and notes on how to strengthen, weaken, or otherwise vary them as needed, in the style that Adventurers' League modules use (e.g., "party stronger, add 2-3 mooks; party weaker, remove 1 mook"). After I've used the encounter, it goes in a filing box or folder with similar dividers (terrain, level range) that I keep for that purpose.

Gallade
2016-02-16, 12:16 PM
Wordpad + a small laptop or tablet computer is the best.