PDA

View Full Version : Strafing breath question

Invader
2016-02-16, 12:57 PM
If a dragon has a flight speed of 150ft and a 30ft cone breath weapon what are the measurements of the effected area and how does the height from which it breathes effect the size of its using strafing breath?

Sliver
2016-02-16, 01:23 PM
If the dragon breathes from 30ft high, he can a 60ft wide 75ft long line, with both sides of that line ending with a 30ft radius half-circle.

http://i.imgur.com/UQLxLiR.png

Every 5ft lower, the width of the line is reduced by 10ft and the half-circles shrink accordingly.

Invader
2016-02-16, 02:04 PM
If the dragon breathes from 30ft high, he can a 60ft wide 75ft long line, with both sides of that line ending with a 30ft radius half-circle.

http://i.imgur.com/UQLxLiR.png

Every 5ft lower, the width of the line is reduced by 10ft and the half-circles shrink accordingly.

And if he moves higher would it fail to reach the ground?

Sliver
2016-02-16, 02:09 PM
Indeed. 10chars.

Invader
2016-02-16, 02:11 PM
Thank you sir

InvisibleBison
2016-02-16, 02:15 PM

This does seem to be how it would work in reality, but looking through the Monster Manual and the Draconomicon, I can't find any rules to back it up. Using a breath weapon takes a standard action (MM p. 69), so a dragon can't move and breathe simultaneously. Thus, a dragon's breath weapon always takes the same shape, even when the dragon is flying around the battlefield.

If you can show me how this is wrong, please do so - the situation you describe is both more realistic and cooler!

Invader
2016-02-16, 02:19 PM
This does seem to be how it would work in reality, but looking through the Monster Manual and the Draconomicon, I can't find any rules to back it up. Using a breath weapon takes a standard action (MM p. 69), so a dragon can't move and breathe simultaneously. Thus, a dragon's breath weapon always takes the same shape, even when the dragon is flying around the battlefield.

If you can show me how this is wrong, please do so - the situation you describe is both more realistic and cooler!

The prereqs for strafing breath are flyby attack and flyby breath.

Sliver
2016-02-16, 02:19 PM

Strafing Breath is a feat from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book.

InvisibleBison
2016-02-16, 02:55 PM
Strafing Breath is a feat from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book.

I see. Thanks for the info!