PDA

View Full Version : Player Help To Multiclass or Not to Multiclass

SmartAlec13
2016-02-16, 01:50 PM
Hello party people,

I am asking myself the age old question (though I am still relatively new to DnD); should I multiclass or no?

The campaign I am in is the starter-set campaign (our DM is new to DMing, and wants to try it out), and at the rate we are currently going, the DM and I both think we will probably get to lvl 7 or 8 by the campaign is done (ending in April). Currently we are lvl 2.

My character is a Half Elf, Neutral Good Warlock. I try to write backstories for characters, but I am much more the type of person who creates who they are and their personality on the fly. My character began as more serious, but after our first session of playing, is now the comic relief of the group. He is very much a stereotypical "nerdy-cool", where he sounds and acts nerdy, but so much so, that he is cool. Curious, searching for knowledge, confident, physically very weak (4 strength tho).

When he casts spells, his arcane focus is a small old telescope he had as a kid (Astronomer background), and using Eldritch Blast, he aims his arm like a rifle, with the telescope as a scope.

So essentially, he is a cocky nerd stereotype.

Anyway, I read online about multiclassing Warlocks with Sorcerors, as an Eldritch-Blast focused gameplay style. Getting 2 levels in Warlock allows me EB, Repelling and Agonizing blasts for invocations. Then put the next 3 points into Sorcery, to get the beautiful Meta Magic, which allows for some really fun uses, like 600-1200ft range on EB, or firing like 4 beams, stuff like that.

Role playing wise, being a Sorceror could fit better as well. I do understand that with 5e, being a certain class does not determine character behavior, but I can't help but imagine sorcerors as cocky magic users. They are born with the magic innately; they don't need to borrow it from patrons, or study it a ton from books. My character could then get his magic from the patron, but maybe that unlocked his hidden potential, and my character is now really cocky, thinking he is a big shot, even though he really isn't. I really haven't done much role playing addressing his otherwordly patron (Great Old One). If I went Sorceror Wild Magic, it could be an interesting angle, and if I went the Dragon Bloodline Sorceror, it could be that his patron is some sort of otherwordly/ancient dragon.

However, going full Warlock would mean higher level warlock spells, more invocations, the pact boon, etc. It would also be a bit more simple.

TL;DR I am in a short campaign as a Neutral Good Warlock. Multiclass or no?
Go full Warlock

Simplicity
higher lvl warlock spells
pact boon (probably book)
+2 stat points (lvl 4) or FEAT
Extra invocation or two

Go Warlock 2 or 3, Sorceror 3

Fits my character roleplaying better
Fits background story for character better
Gets some spells of each
Eldritch-Blast focused
Meta Magic (EB funtime)

PoeticDwarf
2016-02-16, 02:34 PM
As a warlock you deal nice dmg. I'd just go warlockbut it doesn't really matter

RickAllison
2016-02-16, 02:40 PM
I've always felt that multi-classing should feel natural in-story, which normally is awkward for sorcerers (as the most common way might be being born with it). One exception is the UA Shadow Sorcerer; get your DM to "kill" you off and come back a changed person, even cockier knowing that you evaded death! Naturally, that's just an idea, but I figured I would toss it out there.

SmartAlec13
2016-02-16, 02:45 PM
I've always felt that multi-classing should feel natural in-story, which normally is awkward for sorcerers (as the most common way might be being born with it). One exception is the UA Shadow Sorcerer; get your DM to "kill" you off and come back a changed person, even cockier knowing that you evaded death! Naturally, that's just an idea, but I figured I would toss it out there.

Hmmm what if the patron giving him the magical powers has "unlocked" his potential, and that is driving him to focus more on his new powers?

JumboWheat01
2016-02-16, 03:55 PM
I've always been iffy about multickassing myself. Heck, I'd play a pure Fighter in 3.5, and most know what a stupid idea that is.

My opinionated opinion aside, in your original post, you mention probably going with the book boon, and I'd prefer that over any extra power being a part sorcerer could give. With the upgrade you can get at... 7ish, I think, you can learn how to grab and cast ALL ritual spells. That's a lot of utility there. Utility is awesome.

That said, if you do decide on going into Sorcerer, the Wild Magic style may be the best to explain in character and might help out with their current personality. Nothing like a little bit of randomness to lighten the mood.

SmartAlec13
2016-02-16, 04:20 PM
I've always been iffy about multickassing myself. Heck, I'd play a pure Fighter in 3.5, and most know what a stupid idea that is.

My opinionated opinion aside, in your original post, you mention probably going with the book boon, and I'd prefer that over any extra power being a part sorcerer could give. With the upgrade you can get at... 7ish, I think, you can learn how to grab and cast ALL ritual spells. That's a lot of utility there. Utility is awesome.

That said, if you do decide on going into Sorcerer, the Wild Magic style may be the best to explain in character and might help out with their current personality. Nothing like a little bit of randomness to lighten the mood.

Is the book boon really that good? I know I get a few cantrips from ANY list, but if I multiclass into Sorceror, won't I get some cantrips from there anyway? Also, I don't know how often I will stumble upon a ritual spell in the starter-set campaign. We will probably play a bit past it (it goes lvl 1-5 if I remember correctly), but I don't think my DM is going to toss in a scroll/book with ritual spells hanging around. Utility is pretty good, but I am definitely the source of ranged damage in my campaign. We have a battle-bard, a paladin, a rogue (will be assassin), and then me.

If I do end up going sorceror, that could work well, like you said. It could even play into the idea I had in the original post, that the patron has unlocked the character's magical potential, and then Wild Magic could be the uncontrollable overflow of that magic. It would also provide some pretty funny situations.

CaptAl
2016-02-16, 04:29 PM
Wild Magic is pretty awesome, though, strictly speaking, its better for a melee gish build.

If you're only going 6-7 levels deep in the campaign anyway I would say do whatever sounds fun. EB scales with character level so you don't lose any of your artillery by multiclassing. But it'll mean never getting 3rd level spells at all. Fireball and Fly and Haste are always fun to have.

The Tome lock is awesome. It makes you more castery, and the additional cantrips bring a load of utility/RP options. You could get some of those via multiclassing Sorc though. Ritual casting is amazing, but you really only need one person in the party who is a ritual caster.

It's really a toss up in my book. A few extra cantrips and a couple Sorc points vs those eventual 3rd level slots.