PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Martial support help.

Ralanr
2016-02-16, 05:33 PM
So I decided to pick up purple dragon knight because I've been wanting to play a martial/warlord like support character. Now I'm not going complete support (getting a greatsword) but I plan on doing some (since I'm pretty much the closest we have in a party with a monk, blade warlock, rogue, and barbarian).

My stats are as follows (we use a 10 point buy system): 15 str, 10 dex, 14 con, 8 int, 12 wis, 13 cha. I'm a black dragonborn (race choice was purely for flavor). Fluffwise he is a former king brought back to life at level one (everyone in the party is a famous person from history) who build a kingdom within his lifetime.

A friend of mine recommended I use magic initiate to grab some more utility and recommended the message cantrip and Faerie fire. Now while these spells make sense for a commander to have, faerie fire is both a concentration spell and has a saving throw. These are things I wish to avoid.

I've also learned that I can grab wizard spells from magic initiate despite having 8 int.

So does anyone have any spell suggestions for me? Or any other tips I can use to be a martial support (beyond going sword and board with shield master)?

Drackolus
2016-02-16, 05:45 PM
Just helped my SO build one, though as a half-drow for the free faerie fire. Took inspiring leader and martial adept for rally and commanding strike. Good stuff.
Getting m.initiate for bard is a option for dissonant whispers, but you'd need a higher cha.

CaptAl
2016-02-16, 05:47 PM
So I decided to pick up purple dragon knight because I've been wanting to play a martial/warlord like support character. Now I'm not going complete support (getting a greatsword) but I plan on doing some (since I'm pretty much the closest we have in a party with a monk, blade warlock, rogue, and barbarian).

My stats are as follows (we use a 10 point buy system): 15 str, 10 dex, 14 con, 8 int, 12 wis, 13 cha. I'm a black dragonborn (race choice was purely for flavor). Fluffwise he is a former king brought back to life at level one (everyone in the party is a famous person from history) who build a kingdom within his lifetime.

A friend of mine recommended I use magic initiate to grab some more utility and recommended the message cantrip and Faerie fire. Now while these spells make sense for a commander to have, faerie fire is both a concentration spell and has a saving throw. These are things I wish to avoid.

I've also learned that I can grab wizard spells from magic initiate despite having 8 int.

So does anyone have any spell suggestions for me? Or any other tips I can use to be a martial support (beyond going sword and board with shield master)?

With your con save you'll be OK with a concentration spell, though your DC would be low. Magic initiate Wizard could net you a familiar to grant advantage to your buddies, plus mending and another flavor cantrip.

With your melee heavy group Battlemaster wouldn't be a bad idea. Swap out Str and DEX then be a longbow controller. Commanding strike to get the rogue another chance to sneak attack on your turn, plus maneuvering strike to get a squishy out of trouble.

The healer feat wouldn't be a poor addition as well. Healing kits are cheap, and without a healer in the group could make a huge difference for the group.

Ralanr
2016-02-16, 05:54 PM
Just helped my SO build one, though as a half-drow for the free faerie fire. Took inspiring leader and martial adept for rally and commanding strike. Good stuff.
Getting m.initiate for bard is a option for dissonant whispers, but you'd need a higher cha.

With your con save you'll be OK with a concentration spell, though your DC would be low. Magic initiate Wizard could net you a familiar to grant advantage to your buddies, plus mending and another flavor cantrip.

With your melee heavy group Battlemaster wouldn't be a bad idea. Swap out Str and DEX then be a longbow controller. Commanding strike to get the rogue another chance to sneak attack on your turn, plus maneuvering strike to get a squishy out of trouble.

The healer feat wouldn't be a poor addition as well. Healing kits are cheap, and without a healer in the group could make a huge difference for the group.

The problem I have with martial adept is that it's only one martial die. Meaning I can only use it once in combat.

Has this not been a problem in other tables?

AmbientRaven
2016-02-16, 05:58 PM
I would look at going a few levels into spell less ranger to get maneuvers. Your party is primarily melee, so, landing a trip attack to give them all advantage could be game over, like wise with disarming strike.

Drackolus
2016-02-16, 06:03 PM
True, 1d6 on short rest isn't much, but you'll be glad it works when you use it.

Corran
2016-02-16, 08:57 PM
Martial support = shield master. Your allies will love you!

Ralanr
2016-02-16, 09:07 PM
Martial support = shield master. Your allies will love you!

I know, but I kinda just want to use a greatsword. Gives me a reason to describe a mordhau attack with a nat 20.

Lines
2016-02-16, 09:50 PM

Well, obviously step one is wait for them to release a warlord - there's a huge gap where the class should be, and the closest approximation of cobbling one together out of different classes is a pretty sad imitation.

That said, until they do sad imitation's the only real choice:

Inspiring leader is pretty great if you can get it, level+cha mod temporary HP for everyone is a pretty decent chunk
Taking two levels of spell-less ranger for maneuvers would be pretty helpful - the temporary hp one doesn't scale and is crap, but several support your allies. If you can convince your DM to let your beast act independently, take a third level and grab a swarm or wolf or giant bat.
Both types of bard are useful for obvious reasons - more healing on rests, good support spells and inspiration dice to help allies
Dragonborn wise, see if you can convince your DM to let you be a half-dragon. The metallic ones all have breath weapons with helpful debuffs - paralysis, slow, weaken, etc etc.
Magic initiate's been mentioned - grab an owl familiar for free advantage every turn for someone, booming blade so you have a way to encourage enemies to hold still and mold earth for some battlefield control if you have time to set it up.
Or if you don't mind magic, just ignore the above, go straight paladin and get a couple of auras buffing your party, pretty much nothing beats +5 to saves for everyone.

rtrnofdmax
2016-02-17, 12:44 AM
Three levels of wolf totem barbarian or mastermind rogue will give very nice in combat support abilities.

Lines
2016-02-17, 12:51 AM
Also, do you mean martial or marshal? Or a martial marshal :biggrin:

Ralanr
2016-02-17, 01:06 AM
Three levels of wolf totem barbarian or mastermind rogue will give very nice in combat support abilities.
Have a half Orc build in case this guy does that follows the barb path.

Also, do you mean martial or marshal? Or a martial marshal :biggrin:

Clever. I sadly never played the marshal.

Lines
2016-02-17, 01:09 AM
Have a half Orc build in case this guy does that follows the barb path.

Clever. I sadly never played the marshal.

You didn't miss out on much. It's not like there haven't been god supporting martials since - the crusader and warlord were both buckets of fun, for instance - but the martial was basically an empty class with some auras.

djreynolds
2016-02-17, 05:02 AM

Well try it out at least. I would think some war cleric could be a very viable addition as could sorcerer, twining spells for team members, not yourself, could be cool and in flavor. A few small dips in cleric and sorcerer could give you enough metamagic to twin 1st level spells like bless and such. It augments your ability to aid and command, even a small dip of bard for an inspiration die or two.