PDA

View Full Version : Contest 5e Homebrew Contest IV - Making History

weaseldust
2016-02-16, 09:55 PM
The contest has been extended by a week and a day. The new deadline for entries is 24th March.

Welcome to the fourth installment of the 5e homebrew contest. This time around, the theme is history.

The theme can be interpreted however you like. You could design character options based on:

- a character drawing power from their life story
- a character who discovers ancient secrets
- some facet of the history of our own world
- a related theme like memory or echoes

Or you could take any other approach that fits the theme.

There is now a second contest for smaller, miscellaneous homebrew in addition to the usual base class contest. Any ideas you have relating to History, however small they might be, you are encouraged to submit to the miscellaneous contest.

This thread will be devoted to discussion of the contest, your ideas, and your works-in-progress (please don't make your entries into posts on this thread - see below for how to submit them). Even if you don't have any concrete homebrew to submit yet, feel free to participate in this thread, sharing and critiquing ideas.

Submissions

JNAProductions: The Living Legend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478742-Living-Legend-Base-Class)

Base Class Contest Info

An entry should comprise a base class of a full 20 levels with at least two archetypes
You should submit only one entry to this contest
There is a standard base class format given at the bottom of this post to help you construct your entry
Each entry should be submitted as a new thread in the Homebrew subforum and then linked to in a post in this thread
You can also make your entry as a pdf or on another website and merely provide a link here, but it's for the best if you also make a new thread devoted to it, so other people have a separate place to post detailed discussion of it

Miscellaneous Homebrew Contest Info

An entry can be any piece of 5th-edition homebrew that is not a base class - that includes everything from prestige classes and archetypes for existing base classes down to backgrounds, weapons, or even trinkets
You should submit only one entry, but it can contain many individual homebrew items, so long as they are arranged according to some kind of theme (for instance, you might submit a new weapon and a fighting style and selection of feats relating to it)
Entries should be submitted as posts to a single thread made for that purpose, which will be linked here shortly Each entry should be submitted as a new thread in the Homebrew subforum and then linked to in a post in this thread

On Originality

Any entry you submit should be designed specifically for this contest and should be original to you, though you can take inspiration from earlier editions, other media, or the wider world
You can also use smaller, pre-existing items of homebrew, like spells or fighting styles, in making your class, so long as you acknowledge that you have done so
In particular, if you submit a base class, you can refer to miscellaneous homebrew you have also made for this contest (for instance, if you make a spellcasting class and submit some of its unique spells to the miscellaneous contest)

The contest will last for 4 weeks, so that the last day you should submit or amend entries is 16th March. The new deadline is 24th March. Voting will continue for a week after the contest ends and the winner will be rewarded with no insignificant quantity of kudos.

Contest Number
Winning Entry
Winning Brewer

I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?457600-Base-Class-Contest-I-5E)
The Professional (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?463216-The-Professional-A-mundane-support-class-for-5e)
Flashy

II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471755-Base-Class-Contest-II-Light-and-Dark-5E)
The Astromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472061-The-Astromancer)
Mr.Moron

III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474734-Base-Class-Contest-III-Homestead-5E)
The Reaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476891-The-Reaver-A-Class-for-Breaking-and-Entering)
weaseldust

There are parallel 3.5e contests for base classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367530-Base-Class-Challenge-Chat-Thread-IV-All-Your-Base-Class-Are-Belong-to-Us) and ancillary homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399650-3-X-Ancillary-Contest-Chat-Thread).

The following is copied from this excellent resource (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415265-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew) developed by Ziegander.

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice:
Hit Points at 1st Level:
Hit Points at Higher Levels:

PROFICIENCIES
Armor:
Weapons:
Tools:

Saving Throws:
Skills:

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Special

1st
+2

2nd
+2

3rd
+2

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3

6th
+3

7th
+3

8th
+3

9th
+4

10th
+4

11th
+4

12th
+4

13th
+5

14th
+5

15th
+5

16th
+5

17th
+6

18th
+6

19th
+6

20th
+6
Capstone Feature

FEATURES
Describe the class features listed in the table, in the order they are gained.

ARCHETYPE 1
Describe the features the archetype grants at the level you choose it and at each level you advance in it.

ARCHETYPE 2
Describe the features the archetype grants at the level you choose it and at each level you advance in it.

Additionally, you might like to look at entries from previous contests in the spoiler above to use as examples.

weaseldust
2016-02-16, 09:59 PM
OK, this is my best effort, but let me know how I can prettify it, make it easier to read, and so on.

Since the thread is young, I can change the rules or even the theme if anyone thinks it appropriate.

Also, if people have opinions on how voting should be handled, this is the place to discuss it. I wrote out some ideas here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20416970&postcount=25), but as long as we get enough entries the previous voting method would probably work just fine.

JNAProductions
2016-02-16, 10:06 PM
My Deeds Will Go Down In Legend-Write My Story, Skalds And Bards, For I Shall Be He Who Is Known Across The Lands.

Totally entering. Just give me an hour or two.

JNAProductions
2016-02-16, 11:13 PM
I did it! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478742-My-Deeds-Are-Legend-Base-Class&p=20432938#post20432938

2016-02-17, 08:06 PM
I may put something together to enter this.

2016-02-17, 08:16 PM
Does the class itself need to be centered around history, or does history just have to be a significant option, such as at least a sub-class?

Nicrosil
2016-02-18, 12:17 AM
You know what? YOLO, I'll enter. My sense of balance is worse than a drunk toddler, but practice makes perfect right?

weaseldust
2016-02-20, 08:15 AM
I did it! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478742-My-Deeds-Are-Legend-Base-Class&p=20432938#post20432938

That was impressively quick (especially given that the class is seemingly both complete and balanced). Did you come up with the idea on the spot, or was it something you already had in mind that just happened to fit the theme?

Does the class itself need to be centered around history, or does history just have to be a significant option, such as at least a sub-class?

I'm minded to allow anything that isn't obviously inappropriate and then let the voters decide whether it fits the theme well enough. That said, part of the fun of the contest is meant to be adapting to the restricted theme, so you could always try to build a class around your existing subclass idea instead and save your other ideas for future homebrew.

If anyone disagrees with my approach to this, please let me know.

You know what? YOLO, I'll enter. My sense of balance is worse than a drunk toddler, but practice makes perfect right?

That sounds like a healthy attitude to take. And after all, there's a whole forum of helpful homebrewers here to help you balance what you make.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-02-20, 08:26 AM
I will surely be entering the miscellaneous category, probably with spells & magic items. Anyone making a class is welcome to incorporate anything I brew into their work.

I'm minded to allow anything that isn't obviously inappropriate and then let the voters decide whether it fits the theme well enough. That said, part of the fun of the contest is meant to be adapting to the restricted theme, so you could always try to build a class around your existing subclass idea instead and save your other ideas for future homebrew.

If anyone disagrees with my approach to this, please let me know.

I agree wholeheartedly with that approach.

weaseldust
2016-02-20, 09:07 AM
I will surely be entering the miscellaneous category, probably with spells & magic items. Anyone making a class is welcome to incorporate anything I brew into their work.

I'm glad to hear it. I'm torn over whether to put all the miscellaneous entries in their own thread or not, which is why I haven't made that thread yet.

I can see three options: (1) make a thread that contains both miscellaneous entries and people's comments on them, (2) make a thread for the entries alone and have people comment on them in this thread, or (3) treat them exactly the same as base classes, so that each entry gets its own thread.

I was avoiding (3) because I worried about flooding the Homebrew forum with entries. I'm not sure how likely that is, but other forumgoers' views on what counts as 'flooding' the forum might differ from mine, and the 3.5e contest seems designed to keep the entries quarantined.

The trouble is, option (1) requires mixing all the entries and the comments on them in one thread, so it will be hard to find each entry. And option (2) separates each entry from the comments on it, which means it will be harder for creators to receive commentary on their work. Both (1) and (2) also lead to comments on different entries being all mixed up together in the same place, making the conversation harder to follow.

I had thought (2) was the best option, but now I'm not so sure. It depends how many entries I should expect (fewer entries favours (3)) and how important it is for creators to receive comments on their entries (decreased importance favours (2)).

What do people think?

JNAProductions
2016-02-20, 10:32 AM
That was impressively quick (especially given that the class is seemingly both complete and balanced). Did you come up with the idea on the spot, or was it something you already had in mind that just happened to fit the theme?

On the spot. I just work fast.

That being said, it went through some major revisions from the original concept.

JNAProductions
2016-03-05, 02:33 PM
So I think I might win. Just a little feeling I get.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-05, 02:53 PM
So I think I might win. Just a little feeling I get.

Mhm. My money was on you from the start.

JNAProductions
2016-03-14, 01:21 PM
Two days to go...

weaseldust
2016-03-14, 08:18 PM
Two days to go...

I was thinking of extending the deadline. Or should I just let it die (after acknowledging you as victor, of course)? It depends if there's much hope of anyone else entering. Perhaps I could open up the contest to all entries, regardless of theme?

I'm not sure if the lack of interest is a result of the theme, a general disinclination among homebrewers to make whole classes for this edition, or lack of visibility (but given the way the forum lists posts, lack of interest is a cause of lack of visibility as much as vice versa, unless I obnoxiously bump the contest to the top every couple of days).

Ninja_Prawn, if you still want to enter the miscellaneous category, I think it's best to submit your entry as a new post to the Homebrew subforum.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-15, 02:12 AM
Ninja_Prawn, if you still want to enter the miscellaneous category, I think it's best to submit your entry as a new post to the Homebrew subforum.

I would, but I just don't have enough creative energy to do it right now. I've got so many other things I should be doing, this is just a bridge too far. Sorry.

MoleMage
2016-03-16, 09:39 AM
If I may, it may have something to do with format. The 3.x Base and (sadly discontinued) Prestige Class contests shared some formatting similarities:

Submissions made as one or more post in the main thread.
No posts other than submissions allowed in the main thread.
A separate discussion thread maintained and used over the course of multiple contests.
Sample post formats are included as the second post of each contest main thread; participants only need to copy-paste and insert their own text.

I also think it would be a good idea to ask participants what they would like for the next theme rather than just selecting one. It helps people feel involved in the contests progression.

That said, this might not cause greater turnout. I can say for my part that I was not struck by inspiration at all with this theme, and for that reason I had the mindset of "I'll just wait for the next contest".

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-16, 09:51 AM
I don't know if mimicing the 3.5 guys' structure would help much... after all, JNA's first class-brewing contest attracted loads of interest.

It might have more to do with the lack of 'big beasts' in the 5e community - people who could drive a whole series of contests over a period of years. The closest we have are probably JNA and DracoKnight, but really what we need is a whole cabal of people who all know each other on a personal level.

As it is, everything is fragmented and there's no ongoing conversation because there aren't enough people to sustain one.

weaseldust
2016-03-17, 09:29 AM
I extended the deadline. I heartily encourage those who have expressed interest in making an entry above to give it a try.

If I may, it may have something to do with format. The 3.x Base and (sadly discontinued) Prestige Class contests shared some formatting similarities:

Submissions made as one or more post in the main thread.
No posts other than submissions allowed in the main thread.
A separate discussion thread maintained and used over the course of multiple contests.
Sample post formats are included as the second post of each contest main thread; participants only need to copy-paste and insert their own text.

I did note the format of the 3.5 contest and tried to take the parts I liked best. I kept the idea of a separate chat thread (this is it), but I thought having individual entries as their own posts would work better for us. We haven't previously had enough entries that the forum would be flooded with them and I thought in the first contest having the individual entries with their own threads made the contest nicely visible and encouraged feedback. In any case, I don't see that the exact details, like where the sample post is placed, should make a lot of difference.

I also think it would be a good idea to ask participants what they would like for the next theme rather than just selecting one. It helps people feel involved in the contests progression.

That said, this might not cause greater turnout. I can say for my part that I was not struck by inspiration at all with this theme, and for that reason I had the mindset of "I'll just wait for the next contest".

I completely agree and really wanted to do this, but I felt some (entirely self-imposed) pressure to get a finished example out there, so I picked a theme with which I thought there were lots of ways to go. (I might also edit the main post to add some potential approaches.) My thought was, if there are lots of people contributing in the chat thread, we could talk about maybe changing the theme to something people liked better, but that never happened.

I certainly intended that, once this contest ended, we'd vote on the next theme (or possibly the winner would pick one, and we'd vote on a second, so there were two themes). I just didn't want to propose doing that beforehand with no way to make the vote visible, but it was probably a mistake to think that having this contest around would automatically make the subject visible.

Perhaps we should vote on a theme now? But how many people would vote?

EDIT: Talking about what I "intended" makes it sound like I think I should have more influence on what actually happens than is the case. I made this version because no-one else was doing it and I thought whatever I did would be temporary and draw interest in actually making something as a community. I certainly intended to propose certain things, but the hope was that there would be a large and vocal group of homebrewers making their own proposals.

I don't know if mimicing the 3.5 guys' structure would help much... after all, JNA's first class-brewing contest attracted loads of interest.

It might have more to do with the lack of 'big beasts' in the 5e community - people who could drive a whole series of contests over a period of years. The closest we have are probably JNA and DracoKnight, but really what we need is a whole cabal of people who all know each other on a personal level.

As it is, everything is fragmented and there's no ongoing conversation because there aren't enough people to sustain one.

I think another aspect might be that base classes aren't the best unit of homebrew to target in this edition; subclasses would be much easier to make and can play a similar role in capturing a single "class idea" to 3.5e base classes.

weaseldust
2016-03-25, 03:04 AM
It looks like this goes to the Living Legend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478742-Living-Legend-Base-Class) by default then. To say 'congratulations' for winning doesn't seem appropriate, but I can at least congratulate JNAP on making a good base class.

Do people want to plan further iterations of this contest or are we letting it die?

JNAProductions
2016-03-25, 02:28 PM
It looks like this goes to the Living Legend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478742-Living-Legend-Base-Class) by default then. To say 'congratulations' for winning doesn't seem appropriate, but I can at least congratulate JNAP on making a good base class.

Do people want to plan further iterations of this contest or are we letting it die?

My victory feels hollow. But thanks anyway.

I, for one, would be all for a new contest. Though perhaps with a bit of an easier theme.