PDA

View Full Version : Using Sanctum Spell to meet PrC prereqs? 3.5

Aetis
2016-02-17, 12:01 AM
Does it work?

For example, can a Wiz 1/Clr 1 with Sanctum Spell feat take a level in Mystic Theurge?

EDIT: I forgot that Mystic Theurge requires 6 ranks in Knowledge Arcana and Religion.

Can a Wiz 1/Clr 1/Rogue 1 with Sanctum Spell feat take a level in Mystic Theurge?

DarkSoul
2016-02-17, 12:10 AM
Some say yes, some say no. You need to ask your DM, not us, because no one can overrule what the DM says.

As a DM myself, I say no, it doesn't work, but the next reply will likely be yes.

iceman10058
2016-02-17, 12:16 AM
no, because once the spell wears off, you no longer meet the prereqs, and once you no longer meet them, you lose all benefits of the class.

LTwerewolf
2016-02-17, 12:16 AM
I rule "effective" spell level is not synonymous to spell level, just as effective character level is not synonymous with level.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-17, 02:27 AM
no, because once the spell wears off, you no longer meet the prereqs, and once you no longer meet them, you lose all benefits of the class.
So if you've cast all your second level spells for the day you lose the benefits of the class too? That doesn't make much sense imo.

By RAW it works. The prerequisite is simply "can you cast 2nd level spells", and your Sanctum spells are second level spells.
The simple thing for the DM to do is just to say "no early entry" and be done with it instead of trying twisty ruleslawyering to justify it. Plenty of DMs do, and that's fine.

Ashtagon
2016-02-17, 02:41 AM
Personally, I'd say you meet your PrC requirements --- but only while in your sanctum.

2016-02-17, 02:48 AM

You don't lose the benefits of the class when the spell ends, because you're still capable of casting 2nd lvl spells from both (even if you're out of "2nd" lvl spells for the day). You only lose the benefits of the class if you're no longer capable of casting 2nd lvl spells, but even then, you don't lose the class features or the class levels, you just can't take advantage of them until you qualify again.

No, the real problem with this method of entering Mystic Theurge is that, the second you step out of your Sanctum, you're no longer capable of casting spells that are effectively 2nd lvl, and you no longer qualify, so you lose the benefits (but not the levels of class features, just the benefits of possessing them). If you return to your sanctum, you are once more able to cast 2nd lvl spells and can once again take advantage of your class features. Ultimately, this is a problem because you'll have to level up by picking fights with things that are within spell range of your sanctum until you've become Wizard 1/Cleric 1/Rogue 1/Mystic Theurge 2, because then you'll be able to cast 2nd lvl spells without the aid of Sanctum Spell, allowing you to leave. Yes, at this point you are qualifying for Mystic Theurge because of the casting boost Mystic Theurge gives you. Yes, this is stupid. Yes, it is RAW.

Don't pull this stunt at a real table, though, unless your DM is cool with shenanigans like this, because your head is not book-proof, the DMG has sharp corners, and your character is not immune to the fiat hammer.