PDA

View Full Version : Paladin freedom (ex. spells)

Puppeteer_87
2016-02-17, 04:21 AM
Hi everyone, finally worked up the courage to sign up and post.

I'm a pretty experienced player, but mostly in playing rangers/fighters. So magic is kind of lost on me. I'm playing a paladin of freedom presently, but w/o spells. So all spells are used as abilities (I would post a link, but I'm not allowed yet, 8 more posts to go). We started as a lvl 15 character, with not that much GP, so for now I'm stuck with a masterwork warhammer, a spiked banded mail, heavy steel shield, BoA +2 and a noble steed.

Featwise: Armour optimization, Power attack, cleave, mounted combat, mounted dodge, improved initiative and wild rider (I spent a couple more on my steed, such as rapid strike and improved rapid strike).

The question/query I have is as follows: any tips/tricks? I'm getting a fresh feat next level, and thinking of spending it on being able to use a +2 mercurial long sword of speed (which we can buy someplace, our DM isn't to generous with shops etc.); i.e. exotic weapon proficiency, since a merc weapon is considered exotic.

Thanks in advance!

Firest Kathon
2016-02-17, 04:51 AM
Assuming that BoA stands for Bracers of Armor, you should sell them as fast as possible and have your warhammer enchanted instead. The armor bonus from Bracers of Armor does not stack with the Armor bonus granted by your actual armor.

Puppeteer_87
2016-02-17, 05:02 AM
Even if my regular armour isn't magical?

ghanjrho
2016-02-17, 07:05 AM
Even if my regular armour isn't magical?

Correct. Unlike magic armor or the Magic Vestment spell, both of which provide an enhancement bonus to AC, Bracers of Armorjust provide a straight up armor bonus. There's a reason you only ever really see them on monks and wizards/sorcerers.

Waazraath
2016-02-17, 08:02 AM
If you get a feat, I'd spend it on a devotion feat. You probably won't use your turn attempts for anything else, so stuff like law devotion, protection devotion, animal devotion or travel devotion is gold (though travel is less useful if you have a lot of mounted combat I guess). Feats are from Complete Champion.

ATHATH
2016-02-17, 09:17 AM
Isn't there a Paladin variant that loses spells?

Red Fel
2016-02-17, 09:38 AM
Isn't there a Paladin variant that loses spells?

Two, actually. The Holy Warrior ACF in Complete Champion trades spell progression for bonus feats from a limited list. The feats are somewhat situational, but if you're giving up on spells anyway, it's basically free feats. The Spell-less Paladin ACF in Complete Warrior also loses spellcasting, and gains several abilities: Treat weapon as Good for DR, gain a +4 ability score bonus 1/day, use Lay on Hands on your mount for bonus effects, and use Holy Sword 1/day. So that's... pretty meh, actually.

There are a lot of other Paladin ACFs, depending on what interests you. Have a handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/paladins-handbook.html).

Waazraath
2016-02-17, 11:26 AM
Two, actually. The Holy Warrior ACF in Complete Champion trades spell progression for bonus feats from a limited list. The feats are somewhat situational, but if you're giving up on spells anyway, it's basically free feats. The Spell-less Paladin ACF in Complete Warrior also loses spellcasting, and gains several abilities: Treat weapon as Good for DR, gain a +4 ability score bonus 1/day, use Lay on Hands on your mount for bonus effects, and use Holy Sword 1/day. So that's... pretty meh, actually.

There are a lot of other Paladin ACFs, depending on what interests you. Have a handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/paladins-handbook.html).

Or a paladin build compendium for inspiration: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8971.0

LoyalPaladin
2016-02-18, 02:06 PM
First off, welcome to the playground!

I'm running low on time to post... but I'll drop a few things here. If you do decide to keep your casting, you should pick up battle blessing (Complete Champion). It makes your spells coexist with your melee fighting style in a much more fluid manner. The second feat I'd recommend is awesome smite (Complete Champion). This gives you some really great maneuvers to use in combat and adds power to your kit.

If you're looking for prestige classes, I love Fist of Raziel (Book of Exalted Deeds). Take it if you're looking to pick up more and power up your smites. The other class I like is Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex II). It's a little more edgy than FoR, but it packs a decent punch and makes you feel like you could take on Baator's finest warriors.

ComaVision
2016-02-18, 02:46 PM
If you grab a lance, you could get Ride-By Attack as your next feat and do double damage.

Puppeteer_87
2016-03-14, 06:46 AM
Thanks a bunch! I've already lost my spells, my variant is a wee bit homebrew. It's on dandwiki, I still can't post links.

It's nice to play though, and my noble steed does its work as well.

On topic, I did go for the mercurial long sword (which cost me a feat), since I'm mostly the damage dealer. I'll keep you posted on how it pans out, if you're interested. :)