PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with Build-Gun Paladin like Roland.

Jeargroth
2016-02-17, 01:03 PM
I have combed the Google verse and see lots of threads that are very out dated (ie saying go Pistolero/Mysterious stranger, which has been long since been Errata ed. Or go Holy Gun, with a HOLY CROW HELL NO!!)

So I am seeking help on a Feat progression for a Holy warrior, Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1/ Swashbuckler (Musketeer) 1/ Paladin (Oath of Vengance?) X

I am taking MS for the synergy, and Musketeer for the synergy (extra grit, rapid reload, and quick clear), Paladin rest of the way. Is it possible to do a two gun version of this or is it restricted to realm of Musket/rifle? I know the Paladin Archer is a strong build but can it be done with a Gun toting Paladin legally (no house rules) maxing at lvl 16 (don't seem to get beyond that in any of my games).

Thanks

Psyren
2016-02-17, 03:07 PM
For Paladin feats, which handbooks have you looked at? That'll help us narrow down to newer feats you may not have considered yet.

Also... does it have to be a paladin? I think you'd get the same fluff results and much better mechanical results as a LG Inquisitor with Blackpowder Inquisiton and dropping Mysterious Stranger (i.e. being Wis-based instead of Cha-based.) As you mentioned, Holy Gun is pretty crappy, and gets even worse if you dilute its already weak casting with Gunslinger and Swashbuckler.

dascarletm
2016-02-17, 03:31 PM
Do you want to emulate his abilities, because if so, I don't recall him ever having supernatural "holy" abilities. He was pretty much just a gunslinger. All his paladin like aspects were just a part of the society he belonged to, which would be more of a RP thing than a mechanical thing.

Geddy2112
2016-02-17, 03:35 PM
I will agree that Holy gun is just bad, and if you want a piece you go mysterious stranger/pally or musketeer swashbuckler/pally or even picaroon/pally. It makes your smite a per shot thing, and no defensive bonus. If you want a ranged pally, divine hunter is a far better choice. With mysterious stranger,you need 9 ranks in gunslinger to get that precious dex to damage, which is all you really do gunslinger for.

For any firearm character, you want the standard point blank, rapid shot, precise shot, and rapid reload feats.

Jeargroth
2016-02-17, 05:47 PM
MS gets Charisma to Damage, Muskeeter gives Charisma to Panache (Pooled for both)... so no need to wait till level 5. I have read Holy Gun is a Trap, I have read Divine Hunter is a Trap, and that Oath Bound Vengance is best way to max Smites.

I am trying to see if its viable to eventually move into a TWF... he starts with Musket though...

Feats needed would be TWF, ITWF, GTWF, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, (before he could move to something like Pistol of Infinite Sky), Pistol Twirling (for before he can get Pistol of Infinite Sky), Deadly Aim... (anything else we can try to shoe horn in?) Looking at a cap of 16 and if the build takes to level 12 to take off then I would stick to just Musket, and have to go sniper style. I am looking if its even possible to do a TWF competently with a Paladin (Smites for the Win?)

Jeargroth
2016-02-18, 07:43 PM
So it seems to be an issue of Feat starvation... I don't have enough feats to go Paladin TWF with Pistols... Ranged with a musket is the only thing that can work... Now is it better to go with a small race lome halflimg or gnome with a riding dog? Or go human for the extra feat?

Arutema
2016-02-18, 09:20 PM
Unless I'm misreading the mounted combat rules, a riding do lets you move and still full attack.

Keep in mind that unless you take 3 levels of the Musket Master archetype, a musket never gets below a move action to reload. It's not a bad archetype, but 3 levels is quite a commitment on a multiclass build.

Jeargroth
2016-02-22, 03:47 PM
Is it possible to dual Archetype Musketmaster and Mysterious stranger? a 3 level dip than going straight paladin wouldn't be too bad on the smiting side of things.

Topaz
2016-02-24, 01:30 AM
Sadly, they both replace Gun Training, so not by RAW.