PDA

View Full Version : Help making a webcomic

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-17, 08:00 AM
I'm considering making a webcomic, using the tried-and-true screenshots-from-a-video game technique, and was wondering about a few things.

Where is a good place to get web-hosting?

How do I go about setting up an easy to use site, with all the 'next page' 'latyest comic' and stuff like that.

And last, any general tips you can give me?

Bryn
2007-06-17, 08:23 AM
Smackjeeves (http://www.smackjeeves.com) is free and very easy to use. It sets up all the comic navigation and such for you, and you can use CSS to create a design for your site.

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-17, 09:32 AM
Smackjeeves (http://www.smackjeeves.com) is free and very easy to use. It sets up all the comic navigation and such for you, and you can use CSS to create a design for your site.

That looks promising. Is it usable if I only have Frontpage Express, and no knowledge of any language except a smattering of HTML? It looks like I need JavaScript.

onasuma
2007-06-17, 02:00 PM
Nope, you need no expierience at all. Once you make a site you have lots of options layed out before you such as custom pages etc. but you can easliy just click add new comic page/strip and upload it from your pc, nothing else required

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-17, 02:27 PM
Cool. I'll definetly use that then. Problem is, the NWN editor is crashing so often its getting to the point where I'm considering stopping the whole thing. I'm gonna see if I can get a tech guy to look at it.

Waf
2007-06-17, 04:19 PM
I used to be a big supporter of ComicGenesis. But their servers have been completely erratic as of late making it very hard to make a strong recommendation for them. :/

Smack Jeeves probably is the best choice.

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-20, 11:35 AM
I've got the editor working, so I should have a first comic by the end of the week. It would help if I had more time on the PC.

Lord Zentei
2007-06-20, 12:40 PM
Cool. I'll definetly use that then. Problem is, the NWN editor is crashing so often its getting to the point where I'm considering stopping the whole thing. I'm gonna see if I can get a tech guy to look at it.

Then make a backup of your site (and forum if you include it) at regular intervals.

Also, if you're looking for a good service, and see some provider claims that they can provide "unlimited bandwidth" keep in mind that such promises are a load of bollocks. The "unlimited bandwidth" service providers are relying on the fact that most people won't exceed the actual limitations of their service, and that those few who do won't raise enough of a stink for them to get sued for false advertising.

Go for a service that lays out precisely how much you're getting, and ideally don't use shared servers if you can afford it. Perhaps some advertisements on your site could help with the finances.

Foxtale
2007-06-21, 04:06 AM
How's Keenspace for comic hosting? A bunch of comics I know are up on there.

Sneak
2007-06-24, 04:24 PM
I think Keenspace is actually the same as Comicgenesis. If you go to Keenspace.com, it takes you to Comicgenesis.com.

Waf
2007-06-24, 10:23 PM
They used to be pretty good. The server has been completely unreliable as of late, but if they get it stabilized it would be my site of choice.