PDA

View Full Version : War Chanter - Fighter subclass

FluteCop
2016-02-17, 01:25 PM
Hey all :) I would love your opnioins on this fighter subclass of my own invention for a 5ed based setting that i'm making. I don't want it to be OP compared to the other classes in PHB and could really use your critique and ideas to how to make it better.
Looking forward to your replies :)
ps. I wil edit in the changes that i like and doesn't ruin my concept :)

War Chanter – Fighter subclass
requirement: Perform skill

Spellcasting:
At the 3rd level the War Chanter gets spellcasting. Their casting ability is Charisma and they can only take spells from the Bard spell list. Spell save DC = 8 + proficiency + Charisma modifier, Spell attack modifier = proficiency + Charisma modifier.
Use the same Spelltable as the Eldritch Knight.

Chant of Inspiration:
At the 3rd level the War Chanter can use Chant of Inspiration once per short rest. The Chant takes an action to castt. The Chant gives a one use of 1d4 to attack or skill roll to all friendly party members within 20ft of the War Chanter. When you have been inspired you cannot be inspired again before you have used your bonus, so the inspiration cannot stack with itself. The Chant of Inspiration upgrades to 1d6 and 40ft at level 7, at level 10 you get a number of uses equal to your Charisma modifier divided by 2 rounded up, and at level 15 it then increases to 1d8 and 60ft.

War Magic:
At the 7th level, when you use an action to cast a cantrip you may also make one weapon attack.

Mocking Rebuke:
At the 10th level you can use insults to make a target sentient creature focus on you instead of your allies. You get a number of charges equal to your Charisma modifier. As a bonus action you can target any sentient creature within 60ft, that creature has to make a wisdom saving throw on your spell save DC or get disadvantage on their next attack against your allies, but it has advantage on the attack if it's against you. The charges are restored after a long rest.

Skilled Performer:
At the 15th level you double your proficiency bonus for the Perform skill.

Improved War Magic:
At the 18th level, when you use an action to cast a spell you may also make one attack.

RakiReborn
2016-02-19, 09:11 AM
Hey all :) I would love your opnioins on this fighter subclass of my own invention for a 5ed based setting that i'm making. I don't want it to be OP compared to the other classes in PHB and could really use your critique and ideas to how to make it better.
Looking forward to your replies :)
ps. I wil edit in the changes that i like and doesn't ruin my concept :)
Ill go by at a point-to-point basis.

War Chanter – Fighter subclass
requirement: Perform skill
None of the sub-classes require a skill to take, or rather anything to take. I'd suggest to remove this.

Spellcasting:
At the 3rd level the War Chanter gets spellcasting. Their casting ability is Charisma and they can only take spells from the Bard spell list. Spell save DC = 8 + proficiency + ability modifier, Spell attack modifier = proficiency + ability modifier.
Use the same Spelltable as the Eldritch Knight.
Nothing wrong here. Might want to just say Charisma modifier instead of Ability modifier to prevent any unclearities.

Chant of Inspiration:
At the 3rd level the War Chanter has a number of uses of Chant of inspiration equal to their Charisma modifier divided by 2 and rounded up. The uses takes an action to cast and they are restored after a short or long rest. The Chant gives a one use of 1d4 to attack or skill roll to all friendly party members within 30ft of the War Chanter. When you have been inspired you cannot be inspired again before you have used your bonus, so the inspiration cannot stack wit itself. The Chant of Inspiration upgrades to 1d6 and 40ft at level 7, then 1d8 and 50ft at level 10 and then 1d10 and 60ft at level 15.
This is really strong. Too strong. You start lower than the bardic inspiration, and can use it less, but can give it to each ally around you. It is a lot stronger than the Eldritch knight gain at 3rd level. I think it is more balanced if you make it once per long rest at 3rd, give it an increase at 7th, increase uses to half CHAmod at 10th and increase the die again at 15th.

War Magic:
At the 7th level, when you use an action to cast a cantrip you may also make one weapon attack.
Nothing wrong here.

Mocking Rebuke:
At the 10th level you can use insults to make a target sentient creature focus on you instead of your allies. You get a number of charges equal to your Charisma modifier. As an action you can target any sentient creature within 60ft, that creature has to make a wisdom saving throw on your spell save DC or get disadvantage on their next attack against your allies, but it has advantage on the attack if it's against you. The charges are restored after a short or long rest.
Since it is a drawing out ability, maybe make it a bonus action. This way you can still use your action for attacking. Also you might want to make it restore at long rest only if you make it a bonus action. And i have to admit i dont know what a sentient creature is... :P

Skilled Performer:
At the 15th level you double your proficiency bonus for the Perform skill.
Seems fine. But if you remove the restriction, you might want to implement gaining proficiency elsewhere, or make it proficiency, and expertise if you are already proficient.

Improved War Magic:
At the 18th level, when you use an action to cast a spell you may also make one attack.
Again, nothing wrong here.

FluteCop
2016-02-20, 06:03 AM
First of all thank you for your reply, i appreciate it very much.

I like your idea for Chant of Inspiration and i will implement that as soon as i'm finished writing my reply :) The same goes for Mocking Rebuke.

I understand your reasoning for removing the Perform restriction and the altering of Skilled Performer, but i will not change that since it fits the fluff of the subclass in the setting that it's supposed to be in. And i would argue that it's easy for a somewhat skilled DM to remove the restriction and alter Skilled Performer so it fits within his/her setting, if he should chose to allow this subclass.

Sentient:
sen·tient (sĕn′shənt, -shē-ənt, -tē-ənt)
adj.
1. Having sense perception; conscious: "The living knew themselves just sentient puppets on God's stage" (T.E. Lawrence).
2. Experiencing sensation or feeling.

In this context sentient means that it effects creatures ranging from animals to humanoids to monsters, but not constructs or living plants. Does it make sense?

RakiReborn
2016-02-20, 07:22 AM
No problem, always glad to help.
If the restriction fits your campain, you can leave it as is.
About sentient creatures, i think you could better add a sentence that it doesnt work on constructs etc. at the end, as that is how i usually see it in descriptions. It is more clear that way, so there will be less questions and/or mistakes with it.